Photo Hammerton Street Shunter

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
It's nice, but to me it's one of those peculiar shots that's the reverse of what we try to achieve - it's a real loco that looks like a model:confused:

Neil

Western Thunderer
It's nice, but to me it's one of those peculiar shots that's the reverse of what we try to achieve - it's a real loco that looks like a model:confused:

I suppose that's why it stood out from the crowd. In a strange way the setting reminded me of Cookie's Dungeness diorama; weird as they're polar opposites, urban and open.

S

Simon Dunkley

I suppose that's why it stood out from the crowd. In a strange way the setting reminded me of Cookie's Dungeness diorama; weird as they're polar opposites, urban and open.
Also, one is a model which looks like the real thing, and one is the real thing that looks like a model!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's the sleepered retaining wall that gets my attention, it's textures and weathering highlighted by the night lights.

Kindest

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Astonishing photo, thanks for the link Neil.

Certainly the high intensity night lighting contributes greatly to that atmosphere of unnaturalness, as does the perceived lack of background, which looks like nothing more than a piece of grey painted card - and ain't there a crease in it running at 45 degrees above the chimney exhaust?

In the end it's the tension lock coupling that gives it away :p

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Being a Bradford lad by birth and a butcher by trade it's the fact that it's Hammerton Street that does it for me - Way back it was Bradford's not quite equivalent to Smithfield Market.