Hand Drilling/tapping Device...

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Guys,

Just thought I'd share this with you after seeing Rich (Gruntfuttock) using one of these at Camrail. I hope it's not a big secret and this posting allows me to acknowledge the passing on of a great tip; thanks Rich!:
IMG_1443v1.jpg

It's actually sold as a 'Hand Tapping Fixture' http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Cutting-Tools/Hand-Tapping-Fixture by Arc Euro Trade and comes as a flat pack for a shade under £50. I decided I'd want a decent vise to go with it and selected the one shown here, also from Arc, for £23 (see halfway down this page: http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Milling-Machines/Model-Super-X1L-Mill).

I have to admit that neither of these items are absolute 'must have' items, but if you need to do accurate drilling into soft (or 'grabby') materials like resins, plastics or whitemetal they're going to be very useful. It's also perfect for accurate tapping (of course) and would be a charm for any reaming required.

It's impressively accurate, and the shaft with the chuck on it appears to have a standard 'J' taper on it - so that opens up a whole host of possibilities for after-market tooling. The 1/4" chuck itself is among the best of conventional chucks I've come across and comes with the key (not shown).

The spindle passes through a couple of very well fitting bushes, which I suspect are either machined acetal or nylon. In either case they're going to provide many years hard work with anything I'm likely to throw at it.

Here's a closer look at the vise:
IMG_1444v1.jpg

This is tiny (25mm jaw width) and fully ground - as far as I can tell it's square across all dimensions. One thing worth noting is the closure of the device is accomplished by a rack, rather than the usual screw. So the loose jaw is clamped down as it's tightened, giving good support to any item it has to hold.

It's such a lovely thing I'm tempted to order the other ones Arc do as they appear to be a bit of a bargain. Much better than any of the crud that usually comes with small pillar drills or similar!

Rich, if you're reading this, what vise/workpiece holder do you use?

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Looks interesting, I was already eyeing up the vices for the Mill I hope to get in the new year, they do look very well made though I have to confess to some difficulty as to how the internals of the little blighters work :).

Kindest

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Here's what it looks like in bits - you can see the rack inside the body of the vise. In the middle of the picture is the machine screw and ballnut, the latter engages in the rack:
IMG_1445v1.jpg

And here's the thing assembled, gripping a biro. You can see that the machine screw ends up at an angle, so as it's tightened the loose jaw pulls into the item being clamped and also down into the base of the vise. Very simple and hugely effective...:
IMG_1446v1.jpg
I hope that helps a little!

Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Much better, didn't figure on the Allen bolt in the first images to tighten it down LOL.

Thanks for taking the time to take photos and explain.

Kindest

John D

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately Arc Euro Trading is but a few miles down the A6 from me .....have been there.....one of those places where you just go in ' to look' and then you see it........... :D.....amazing place

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately Arc Euro Trading is but a few miles down the A6 from me .....have been there.....one of those places where you just go in ' to look' and then you see it........... :D.....amazing place

Oh dear. I'm sure if I went I'd end up with a bad case of 'financial diarrhea'. You know - when you open your wallet and say 'oh s***'...

Steph

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi Steph
I've purchased the same Hand Tapping device as your good self and Rich (saw it a couple of years ago at Camrail, just never got round to it until recently :oops: ) but having assembled it, the shaft is rather resistant to turning. I'm having to hold the base in order to drill anything, making it not quite as a delicate procedure as I'd hoped. Has yours loosened up with use (same question to Rich as well)? Have you used any lubrication to reduce the friction or has it been OK out of the box?
Cheers
Steve

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph
I've purchased the same Hand Tapping device as your good self and Rich (saw it a couple of years ago at Camrail, just never got round to it until recently :oops: ) but having assembled it, the shaft is rather resistant to turning. I'm having to hold the base in order to drill anything, making it not quite as a delicate procedure as I'd hoped. Has yours loosened up with use (same question to Rich as well)? Have you used any lubrication to reduce the friction or has it been OK out of the box?
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Mine was fine straight out of the box. The shaft doesn't drop under its own volition and turns easily...

Steph

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Taken the thing apart, checked for burrs on the bushes and the rod itself for straightness - can't see anything that looks obviously wrong. Tried a bit of 3 in 1 to see if that eased things up - a slight improvement but not enough to render the device useable. Both bushes seem a tight fit on the rod when the rod is inserted from either end so rather than take them out in the vain hope of finding something wrong I've packed it back up and have contacted Arc Euro Trade to try and swap it for a working one.
Ah well, fingers crossed its a painless exercise....

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Good news, the bushes just hadn't been reamed after they were pushed into the cross post. A quick job (I took the bits up to Arc Euro Tradethis afternoon) and they did the job on the spot. Shame it was missed in quality control, but they are human and were most apologetic. Can't grumble, will do some drilling this weekend :)