handrail clearances

Purple-haze

Western Thunderer
evenin all, can anyone tell me the average space between grab rails and the surface they are attached to?

many thanks Rog

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I don't know the average but when I had a brake van ride at the Whitwell and Reepham Railway last year I found I could slip three fingers but not four behind the hand rails. So, about 70 mm on this prototype, about 1.6 mm or 1/16 inch in 7mm scale. This sounds very coffee-stirrer-like.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Depends on the prototype, the model trade does supply different length hand rail knobs etc. for locomotives. A case of a little research of the model your working on.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Looking at a Midland Railway loco smoke box drawing, the central smoke box hand rail knob centre stands 3 inch out from the smoke box front, but this is an 1880's MR drawing.

DrIain

Looking at a Midland Railway loco smoke box drawing, the central smoke box hand rail knob centre stands 3 inch out from the smoke box front, but this is an 1880's MR drawing.
I was working at Didcot yesterday. I measured the handrail gap on a Toad and indeed it is 70mm approx (variable by about 4mm in places). The handrail sits on or slightly inset into the T-section uprights.
A0E27BF4-F3E7-4D16-973F-7667CC8BC77E.jpeg

On GW Locomotives and tenders there are generally short handrail knobs which give a 45mm gap from surface to handrail. Also worth noting that on the boiler these knobs may be fitted onto something else e.g. the ejector pipe brackets so that the handrail is actually further away. Best to go by prototype in those areas. I didn’t measure the longer knobs at the smoke box end (see picture of Pendennis Castle).
005A4195-02B9-4A63-83B8-861C3521E3AA.jpeg

There are also longer handrail knobs on some of the non-GW built locos but I did not measure those.

Hope that helps.

Iain

Attachments

• BC213DF8-DC5E-4377-BB21-FCD416F04D17.jpeg
    BC213DF8-DC5E-4377-BB21-FCD416F04D17.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3