7mm How not to assemble a Kittle kits Signal box

westernfan

Western Thunderer
After looking at the sky high prices for a 7mm scale signal box kit that are offered by various outlets , I came across a Kittle kits signal box at a very reasonable buy it now price from the bay. I set about cutting it up to make a more compact model . I found that Slaters 4mm planking sheets matched the profile of the wood plank cladding, and with some 1mm styrene sheet and some Slaters roof sheet . I bashed up the roof section. P1030749(1).JPGP1030807(1).JPGP1030825(1).JPG

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Im not to sure about the width of the model but so far so good the window will be able to slide open and close . As for the lever frame detail its a toss up between the skytrex frame or the bits box.

WF

djparkins

Western Thunderer
As for the lever frame detail its a toss up between the skytrex frame or the bits box.

WF

You can still get the Springside Signal Box Interiot kit:
https://sslrelay.com/www.s116360366...=0030_Signal+Box+Interior+Kit+7mm+=28SBDK3=29

I have used it in a Churchward Models box years ago and it is pretty good.

The thing about buildings etc. is that their price-tolerance [perceived value in marketing-speak] by the customer tends to be quite low in relation to say locomotives - but when you think about it the loco goes off-stage but the building [or signal box] in always on view so is seen by the viewer all the time. I liked building the Churchward Models boxes - I thought they were great kits for their time.

Regards,

DJP

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
I think i used Invertrains for my signal box interior.:)

Sorry bit vague but it was a while ago since i built it and my memory aint what it used to be:rolleyes:

Rob:)

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Hi Jordan , it doesn't I cut it out with my laser Stanley knife ;)
Thanks all for the positive remarks . I like the Springside kit ,though I will probably scratch build most of the furniture and lever frame . The model just needs some finials and I need to source some 2.5mm rod for the drain pipes I have some 3mm but it looks just that bit oversize a scale 5ish inches dia . the off cuts from the kit look quite promising I feel a St Marys crossing signal box coming on next :cool:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I think you've made a great job of kitbashing the signal box:thumbs:..........nice to see you returning to doing your 7mm stuff;)

Skytrex do interior gubbins to, but the Springside looks very comprehensive :)

westernfan

Western Thunderer
P1030915(1).JPG
Ah!! ;)

I bet The Guv hadn't got a Laser Stanley Knife....:rolleyes: :D

The Guv didn't need one , I wonder if he is busy building Gods Wonderful Railway .

I managed to source some 1/16th welding rod for the drain pipes ,fabricated some finials and a stench pipe from the 3mm rod I had to hand . I found the plastic rod from Ever Green easy to bend and shape . I must admit that the only place I will be plonking this model is on the bay , as I find it a bit too wide for my taste. Roll on the mk2 version:cool:P1030908(1).JPG