Hymek Shed Allocations 1962 - 1966

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Hi Chaps,
Checking through my info. and also on the net I cannot come across shed allocations for the above years. I am interested in finding just where the following batch of Hymeks, D7033 - D7044 where during in that time ?

Any help would be most appreciated,
Geoff

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
7033,34 Cardiff 1962-Bristol 1966
7035,36 Cardiff 1962-Old Oak 1966
7037,38,39 Cardiff 1962-Bristol 1966
7040,41,42,43,44 Bristol 1962-Bristol 1966

Phill  :wave:

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Hi Phill,
Thanks for posting that info. I had already found out that the Hymeks didn't move shed much, in fact most of those members of the class where still on the same sheds in 1969.
From my research the 4mm Heljan Hymek is only 100% accurate for those particular members of the class I listed and even then only between the dates I mentioned.
Think I will number my model D7039 once I have cleaned my magnifier and eyeballs. Though I am tempted to go with D7044 as I saw that brand new with about six others at Bath Road........decisions !

Cheers,
Geoff

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Phill :wave:

It's always good to know these things - great Thread :thumbs:

Something that, although we have a long ways to go yet, is how, with a fictitious station/location, do I represent Headcodes for the Hymeks and the 33's?

All the best,

CME :wave:

Does anyone have a headcode book ? , I would quite like to know what they all mean too :scratch: . The Hymek in front of me is 1V45 at one end & 1B67 at the other end.......no idea what they are though ???

S

Simon Dunkley

Phill Dyson said:
Does anyone have a headcode book ? , I would quite like to know what they all mean too :scratch: . The Hymek in front of me is 1V45 at one end & 1B67 at the other end.......no idea what they are though ???
The first number is the class of the train, so a 1 is express passenger, 2 local passenger and so on down to 9 for unfitted stopping freights. The numbers are important, as they assign priority - a breakdown train going to assist is class 1, for example. 0 (light engine) is effectively a 10 in this scheme.
The letters denote destination, A and B are usually reserved for London (and sometimes C, I think) Z for specials, X for royal trains, and various letters for regions:
E - Eastern
M - Midland
N - North Eastern
O - Southern
S - Scottish
V - Western.
Although I said destination, a train going from St. Pancras to Manchester via Sheffield would pass through the Eastern region, and would get an E. (I think.)
The two digits can be train number, route number or duty, depending sometimes on local regional variations: often positive and negative were used for up and down indications.
For example, on the AC lines of LMR, 2B23 was a Euston bound EMU service from Birmingham, the return being 2G33 regardless of what time it ran at. 9T49 was (unfitted) trip working number 49, a specific duty: I think in Nottingham. 1P42 would be an inter-city service to the Preston area, 1H44 to the Manchester area: not sure how they allocated the numbers for these.
Headcodes could vary from time to time, particularly with the classification of freight trains, and sometimes with divisional/regional changes. I am told by a friend who is a signaller that now the class of the train reflects the maximum speed, as all trains are now fully air-braked, and priority usually goes to the fastest as it is easier and less time consuming to put a slower train into a loop - usually.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Evening Chaps,
I have another question for you Hymek experts, are shedplates fitted to all four corners of the buffer beam cowling ?

Cheers,
Geoff

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Geoff said:
Evening Chaps,
I have another question for you Hymek experts, are shedplates fitted to all four corners of the buffer beam cowling ?

Cheers,
Geoff

On  the pics I have Hymeks in earlier livery's where I can actually see both buffer beam cowling's would suggest shedplates on one end only Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
On  the pics I have Hymeks in earlier livery's where I can actually see both buffer beam cowling's would suggest shedplates on one end only Geoff

Thanks Phil,
Geoff