Let's roll - Finescale of a sort

Simon

Flying Squad
What a great solution, it has the look of "properness" to my eyes, whatever that is....

Brilliant.

Simon

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Simon, they do look nice and chunky.

I took one with me to Love Lane yesterday, and "Mudhen" expressed some disappointment with the size and scale.

"Oh, is that it?" he queried. "From your pictures I thought the wagon was big enough to sit in!"

My wife is now even more convinced that they are far too big though. When I got home, I lifted the little truck out of the car boot and parked it on the floor near the front door. Shortly thereafter, she fell over it and grazed her knee!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
As one who always manages to get into one sort of trouble or other, sometimes making myself a bit scarce is about the wisest thing I can do?! The sunshine today has returned in glorious, springtime fashion, and along with the promise of more to come over the next few days, I think it would be a good idea to get out from under everyone's feet and pop my platelayers hat on.

Surely I couldn't get myself in too much mischief along the line and way off down the garden?!

We shall see?!

Meanwhile, the trucks are merrily multiplying...

hzcqSAM_6806.JPGhzcqSAM_6807.JPGhzcqSAM_6810.JPG

There are still some bits and bobs to do, not least of which is finally sorting out the essential coupling gear, but the delights of raking ballast and bending rails to the joyful sound of birdies and buzzy things beckons...!!

Pete.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Pete absolutely inspiring method for the wheels and bearings, the little waggons work really well visually, the wheels and bearings look like a winning formula for all sorts of different types of waggons.

Michael

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Michael. I am more than pleased with those wheels and bearings too! They run so freely that even a very gentle breeze wafting across the garden was enough to move both wagons while I was trying to take those photo's this morning. I had to keep stopping and pulling them back together!

Funny you should mention that Brian, but I was just beginning to think we might actually need some means of satisfying the "Board of Trade Inspectorate" by measures to prevent potentially disastrous runaways?!

Pete.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
As one who always manages to get into one sort of trouble or other, sometimes making myself a bit scarce is about the wisest thing I can do?! The sunshine today has returned in glorious, springtime fashion, and along with the promise of more to come over the next few days, I think it would be a good idea to get out from under everyone's feet and pop my platelayers hat on.

Surely I couldn't get myself in too much mischief along the line and way off down the garden?!

We shall see?!

Meanwhile, the trucks are merrily multiplying...

View attachment 158436View attachment 158437View attachment 158438

There are still some bits and bobs to do, not least of which is finally sorting out the essential coupling gear, but the delights of raking ballast and bending rails to the joyful sound of birdies and buzzy things beckons...!!

Pete.

Very nice Pete. Will you be painting them up, perhaps in a private owner livery? Insoles??

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I do think adding "& Sons" might be appropriate for our versions Chris?!

hzcqScymmer detail.jpg
(Copyright image published elsewhere and shown here for illustrative purposes only)

By the way: I wonder how many people parking their cars in certain bays at their local supermarket realize that just below the tarmac is one of those tremendously deep, vertical shafts?! George Insole, or rather his sweating miners, had to go down an awful (and tragically) long way in order to reach the precious "Black gold"!

I really should not be proud of that part of my heritage, bearing in mind the proprietor's notable lack of philanthropy?! Having said that, he was an integral part of the overall prosperity, and not entirely a stain on the history of the Rhondda Valley I suppose?!

Pete.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I do think adding "& Sons" might be appropriate for our versions Chris?!

View attachment 158457
(Copyright image published elsewhere and shown here for illustrative purposes only)

By the way: I wonder how many people parking their cars in certain bays at their local supermarket realize that just below the tarmac is one of those tremendously deep, vertical shafts?! George Insole, or rather his sweating miners, had to go down an awful (and tragically) long way in order to reach the precious "Black gold"!

I really should not be proud of that part of my heritage, bearing in mind the proprietor's notable lack of philanthropy?! Having said that, he was an integral part of the overall prosperity, and not entirely a stain on the history of the Rhondda Valley I suppose?!

Pete.
What went wrong, Pete??!

JB.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks to all for those splendid replies!

Tom, I believe that green tub wagon was placed as a memorial, and sits over the shaft that was the location of the infamous disaster? The second shaft (sunk as a result of consequent government legislation) is unmarked in another part of the car park.

Thanks also Rob for linking that super image. For some reason I had not come across that one! I do rather fancy the little wooden tubs!!

By the way, dear old Geo did everything right at first - working extremely hard, taking huge risks and reaping the deserved reward - fat lot of good it did him and his son in the end! They basically blew the lot living the high life and thinking that they could buy their way into the aristocracy!

A fool and his money are easily parted - which is one reason why I decided to steer well clear of the stuff in the first place?!

Pete.

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
As seems to be the way for me these days.. I always seem to be playing catch-up a lot. So, I will just say Well Done. They look fantastic! From concept to reality, you really have outdone yourself (again). They offer the most simplicity and interest all rolled into one and as we previously discussed, whilst they look a little too pristine right now, as the children bash and crash them 'troublesome trucks' around, they will only look more authentic. I am sure they will also come in handy with the continuation of building the light railway!

Tom, You should definitely get involved. It is surprising how far you can get with the most basic of materials. I still need to finish the carriage myself, and the only reason this is not further along is just due to the fact I haven't gone and booked some time in the dark depths of dads workshop. It would be great to see another wagon hit the line. I'm sure your little lady would love to help too :)

Once again, some super fantastic work (as always).

Cheers,
Rich

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks Rich. I do understand the constraints on your time these days. Hopefully we will get the chance to progress the bogie carriage whenever you feel able - but please don't feel you are under any pressure!!

Sorry I misunderstood your question JB, and thank you Graham for the correct answer!

Pete.