LNWR Precedent

adrian

Flying Squad
Thanks, Nick, I'm finding that .010" is showing quite a bit of resistance.

Jon
Sounds like the 0.010" is half-hard n/s sheet. There are different grades of hardness with n/s sheet. If you can find some soft grade n/s sheet it is significantly easier to bend, I have some soft 16thou sheet and have formed belpaire fireboxes shapes quite easily just using finger pressure around a silver steel rod.

NickB

Western Thunderer
Not much progress recently, what with the G3 Society Annual Show and then the Newsletter, and as I write this the sun is shining (at last) which doubtless will mean a summons from the Head Gardener. In between whiles, here are the tender buffers.

The heads and stocks are fairly straight forward turnings. Here are the stocks rough turned:

Tender buffer stocks.png

and fine turned and polished.

Tender buffer 1.png

Drilling holes for the rivets, using the rotary table to get an even pattern. That drill is 0.8mm diameter and I decided that the hole is far too deep, so I drilled most of the way using a larger drill and left a couple of millimetres to break through. The rivets turned out to be a good push fit and would probably have held themselves in place, but I added some epoxy to make sure.

Tender buffer 2.png

Here is the assembly. The stock is drilled deep enough to accommodate the head and the spring compressed, and then continued at a clearance diameter for the screw. The back face is counterbored quite deeply so that the head of the screw remains in the hole when the spring is fully compressed. That way the buffer is fully self-contained.

Tender buffer 3.png

Nick

NickB

Western Thunderer
Now all the soldering of the chassis has been finished, I can attach the plastic parts: axleboxes, springs and water scoop.

Tender chassis 1.png

Tender chassis 2.png

The leaf springs are dummies, the actual springing is a coil spring between each leaf spring and the axlebox. One of the compromises one accepts in a working model, and hopefully not too noticeable.

Tender spring.png

The next big task will be the brake shoes and levers, which is another assembly of lots of little parts.

Nick

Mike W

Western Thunderer
All very nice indeed Nick. Next time you have the camera out I'd be interested to see the clearance between the rear wheels and the bufferbeam, with the springs compressed!

Mike