7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Finally finished the first BLP with metal casing, test run, DCC set up and ready to go, tomorrow it'll get coaled up, safety valves dropped in with a spot of glue; spotted they were missing during the photo shoot.

Once the coal has set it'll be boxed up ready for collection and then onto the second.

IMG_5691.jpg

IMG_5692.jpg

IMG_5693.jpg

IMG_5694.jpg

IMG_5695.jpg

IMG_5699.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I have to say.... stunning!

Tony
Cheers Mr G,

Just noticed an error on the driving wheels, no balance weights so trying to figure how best to add them with the least possible work and damage risk factor, I have a cunning plan, but it might not be cunning enough :D

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Finally finished the first BLP with metal casing, test run, DCC set up and ready to go, tomorrow it'll get coaled up, safety valves dropped in with a spot of glue; spotted they were missing during the photo shoot.

Once the coal has set it'll be boxed up ready for collection and then onto the second.

View attachment 214160

View attachment 214161

View attachment 214162

View attachment 214163

View attachment 214164

View attachment 214165
Very nice! :cool:

I'm almost tempted with one of the Finney kits, but I'm trying to hold out for a decent air-smoothed Merchant Navy kit. I doubt however if anyone is brave enough to produce such a kit! :)

Mike

John Walker

I thought I read somewhere that balance weights were only needed on the rebuilt Bulleids. Of course I can't find the reference now!

Regards
John Walker

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I thought I read somewhere that balance weights were only needed on the rebuilt Bulleids. Of course I can't find the reference now!

Regards
John Walker
They were needed on both, but the rebuilds had a bit extra added.

What is interesting is that unrebuilt engines which received the revised wheels with rebuild big end crank pins, did not get the extra weights, suggesting that the extra weight was just bolted on depending on which type of engine is was fitted to during works visits.

Most original engines received the modified big end crank pin but some kept the SR type to the end, as always, check your prototypes for your given time period.

On top of that, some engines received a BR type (cotter pin held) retaining nut arrangement and it appears it was fitted to the SR type crank pin, not the revised BR type for rebuilds. I've a niggle there was a fourth type but my reference evades me currently.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
More JLTRT Crab, getting there now, none of the boiler 3D is secured yet, it all needs some tweaking and smoothing to get rid of artifacts shown up with the witness coat.

The front end of the firebox is not secured yet, there in lies a tale of woe, many in fact (sadly), but by hook and by crook it's all finally starting to fit.
If you have a blue resin boiler then you'll also have pretty much all of the brass metal work as well, what you won't have is the smoke box front or firebox front either, enter Mr 3D to the rescue.

I need to revise the smokebox door a little, it looked good in 3D, great in the hand but then when fitted you get a lot more peripheral references which show up small errors.

I was also missing the safety valve assembly, whistle, reversing reach rod support casting, wash out plug fittings and one lubricator; the other wasn't much cop to be honest so new 3D required there, I'll turn down a new whistle in due course.

The kit white metal chimney, dome and reversing lever cover made lovely sounds as they clanged into the waste bin, replaced by Mr 3D again, the chimney is sleeved full depth with thin wall brass tube for strength.

Part of the vacuum ejector casting was maligned so I'll have to work up something there and fit to complete that assembly.

IMG_5702.jpg

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5704.jpg

IMG_5705.jpg

mickoo

Western Thunderer
The oval opening is for twin anti vacuum valves (AVV) and atomiser, these (AVV) were later designed/moved to the ends of the cylinders and tucked up under the footplate.

The modified engines then had a circular hole in the cylinder clothing to access the atomiser.

Some engines retained the oval hole but had the AVV moved to the revised position and thus only the atomiser remained in the big hole.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I'd say it was a union connection for the atomised oil feed pipe to the cylinders, rather than the atomisers themselves. These were probably somewhere under the framing/running plate.
Dave.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'd say it was a union connection for the atomised oil feed pipe to the cylinders, rather than the atomisers themselves. These were probably somewhere under the framing/running plate.
Dave.
The technical blurb just said access to atomisers and that was as far as my interest went :))

But I suspect you’re completely correct :cool: