2mm Modbury

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
I am also always amazed at the fact that this is 2mm Ian.
Even in 2 mm West Bay is in fact quite long but it too would make a lovely model.
I think you are cutting yourself short Grahame as your models are a credit to N gauge modelling.
I do like the bucket!
Julian

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I would have liked to have visited, but it's a difficult drive from here, and being an ex Devonport employee, I have to maintain standards!!

The emojis seem to be disabled!

James Spooner

Western Thunderer
Well, I wasn‘t disappointed. Although a 4mm scale modeller myself, Modbury and Drws y Nant were two stunning examples of what can be achieved in 2mm finescale these days. Both featured exquisite modelling, worked well and showed the railway as a part of a wider scenic panorama. Thank you for bringing Modbury to Portsmouth Ian.

Nigel

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
Thoroughly enjoyed the Portsmouth exhibition!! With just Steve and myself operating for the day, I don't think either of us managed to get a good look at the other exhibits. However, the short time I spent away from Modbury proved that the show was an excellent one with a variety of good quality layouts/scales on offer for the public.

Unfortunately, within the first few minutes of running it was noticed that my Dean Goods had an intermittent short, so we had to deploy John Russell's somewhat out of period Collett Goods for the day, but it is such an excellent and reliable runner that we'd have run it anyway!!

I didn't manage to take many photos of Modbury (and unfortunately none at all of Nigel Ashton's wonderful Drwys-y-Nant), but here are the few I managed :

1.JPG
An overall view of the scenic section before the public were allowed in. Steam Railmotor just departing towards Newton Abbot. Once again, the SRM attracted a lot of interest and favourable comment.

2.JPG
517 tank in charge of a short cattle train departing Modbury.

4.JPG
Prairie (later 45xx) draws a short Plymouth bound pick up goods over the embankment into the station.

5.JPG
A closer view of Prairie and leading wagons of Down Goods train.

Finally, fellow 2mm Association member and friend, Richard Brummitt, provided me with a surprise gift ...

3.JPGA rather beautiful "Beetle" - a diagram W4 Prize Cattle Wagon. Richard said that he took my artwork for the W1/W5 cattle wagon and amended it. I think that is a gross understatement as the only bits recognisable from my original work are the ends and the drop flap side door!! He has 3D printed the body, and "cobbled together" the running gear from various bits of etch. The result is simply stunning and to say that I am thrilled is an understatement - Thank you Richard!! Unfortunately, because Richard uses 3 link couplings (!!!!) on his stock I wasn't able to run it on the day as it will need a set of DG's fitting.

Thank you for looking.
Ian

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
In order to try to rekindle a bit of modelling mojo, today I have been playing trains having a running session on Modbury. Whilst running a few trains, I also took the opportunity to video a few of the movements. After an hour or two of editing, the result has been uploaded to YouTube :
Thanks for looking.
Ian

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Thank you Ian for posting this video, I am selfishly glad that "finding your mojo" has taking you to producing this film for those of us who were unable to get to exhibitions to see Modbury in the flesh. The steam railmotor, as the whole layout defies the fact that this is 2mm FS!!
Unfortunately I watched this on my phone and cannot wait till I'm back home and watching it on the "big screen" !!
I do like it when you "play trains"...then post the video.
All the best
Julian

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
Having been in the modelling doldrums for several months where virtually no railway modelling has occurred in Modbury Towers, over the last three or four weeks mojo has finally returned!!

With Modbury due to attend the Loughborough exhibition in August, I have finally managed to complete the first two bogie coaches for Modbury. They are a D37 Van Third and a C4 All Third, sides and ends coming from Worsley Works with the bogies being my own etches (although the functional carcass of the 10'0" ones under the D37 were provided by Richard Brummitt with the cosmetic bits coming from my own 8'6" bogies.

The coaches in question were last seen several months ago and an aborted attempt to paint the C4 led them both to be consigned to their respective bags and put aside. Following a bit of mojo return, the D37 was finally structurally completed a couple of weeks ago, and since then the pair have progressed through the Smith paint shop.

Here are a few snaps of the pair on Modbury's embankment :
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG
On Saturday, I took the pair along to the 2mm Expo at Derby and entered them in the modelling competitions, and am proud to say that they were awarded the "Chairman's Trophy"!! Thank you Chairman Alisdair!

With the successful completion of that pair, mojo is now fully restored, so I have now made a start on the next one in the rake - another from the Worsley Works stable, a 1st/2nd Composite (sold as an E14 but actually is an E17).

Description of that build will have to commence in a new post as I seem to have reached the picture limit in this one!
Thanks for looking,
Ian

Ian Smith

Western Thunderer
As mentioned in my previous post, I have made a start on another clerestory bogie coach to accompany the All Third and Van Third recently completed. This one too comes from the Worsley Works stable and is marketed as a diagram E14 - a 1st/2nd Lavatory Composite. A look through Jim Russell's "A Pictorial Record of Great Western Caoches (Part 1)" provides a diagram for the E14, but unfortunately when referring to Richard Spratt's website Great Western Railway Dean Era Coaches - Non Corridor Clerestory Bogie Coaches, the E14 is shown as having 12" deep eaves panels (and no lavatory facilities). Further down the page though is the diagram E17 which is a match for the sides produced by Worsley Works.

Therefore using the sides and ends of the kit I intend to build it up as an E17. The rest of this post will be a set on annotated photos of the build so far (although I omitted to take any of the early part of the build!) :
1.JPG
The main carcass of the coach assembled. While the sides were still on the fret, I soldered all of the door vents in place. Once the turnunders (tumblehomes) were formed, the sides and ends were soldered together using the fold up internal bracing pieces to strengthen the corners (at the bottom), these bracing pieces also include a hole to attach underframe to body, so a 12BA nut was soldered in place on the upper side of these holes.
A rudimentary underframe is included in the kit, comprising a flat floor under which a bent up solebar and upper step is soldered. A pair of headstocks complete the bits that are included in the scratch aid kit. One thing I did have to do was to drill new holes for the bogie pivots some 1mm inboard of the etched holes. More 12BA nuts were soldered above these new holes in readiness for attaching the bogies later.
A roof was cut from some 0.005" brass sheet and rolled to the profile of the ends - I tend to do this on an old mouse mat using steel bars to get a general shape, then burnish the roof to final shape around suitable bar stock with a thick wooden lollipop stick (from a "Magnum"). Once formed it was soldered in place which combined with the embryonic underframe gives the body a reasonable amount of strength.
Finally, as is my wont, I solder all of the G hand rails and door handles in place on the sides. I much prefer to solder these things in place to ensure that they are really secure - during the build the model will be scrubbed after each build session so any bits that aren't secure will come away at some point!!

2.JPG
The other side showing the step end. The steps are part of the internal end brace and have to be folded out and project through slots in the end proper.

3.JPG
The next stage was to add the clerestory on top of the main roof - annoyingly, the clerestory ends were not included on the etch (an oversight I expect), so these had to be fabricated first from some spare etch, luckily the E17 had an arced roof to the clerestory by a three-arc profile for the main roof. A lightly scribed line down the centreline of the roof aided getting the ends centred, then the sides were tack soldered in place then the joints made good once I was happy.

4.JPG
Once the clerestory sides and ends were secure, I attacked the gap down the middle with a slitting disk and files so that I would be able to get an iron in to solder the roof on the clerestory and also so that I can glaze it once fully painted. Those of you paying attention might notice that I have put this side of the clerestory on upside down and the wrong way round - the blank portion should be above the luggage compartment doors. I didn't actually notice this until I had fitted the clerestory roof, so had to remove the roof and this side then reassemble it all the correct way once I'd straightened out the somewhat mangled clerestory side!! Oh how I laughed!!!

5.JPG
The completed clerestory roof.

6.JPGAnd the other side having had my earlier mistake corrected!

7.JPG
At last night's Midland Area Group meeting, I managed to add the rain strips to both the main and clerestory rooves. These are simply made using strands from multi-core flex (each strand being 0.15mm diameter). A strand is straightened by rolling between my cutting mat and a steel ruler. Then positioned on the roof and initially tack soldered in place and once satisfied flood with flux and the bond along the length made good. A sharp knife trims off the excess hanging over the ends of the coach before the next strip is applied. A thorough stiff rubbing with a fibreglass stick removes all of the excess solder on the roof.

8.JPG
Todays task has been to turn and fit the gas lamp tops on the clerestory roof for the 1st and 2nd compartments and on main roof for the lavatory compartments.

The next task will be to fit the gas piping (and lamp feeds) along the roof, then fabricate and fit the handrails on the step end, and finally fabricate the brake tell tails to the non-step end. Then I can move on to the underframe. The Dean 6'4" bogies have already been made up ready - these are from my own artwork and custom etch - although I have yet to fit the volute springs to them (although they too have been turned up in readiness).

Thanks for looking
Ian

Attachments

• 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 1