* rolling rings on vacuum cylinders;
* joints for vacuum pipe flanges;
* joints for water pipe flanges;
* steam heat and vacuum bags.

Anything else?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Hi Mick,

Your 'snubbing blocks' are actually Spencer Auxillary Springs. They are an akwardly shaped steel casting with a rubber block inside at the top, with a steel pressure plate at the bottom on which bears the nut attaching it to the suspension rod from the end of the spring. The nut is kept in place with a shaped keeper that is screwed onto the plate. The works drawing is 0/341. There are eight items all together in each spring. They were designed and produced by the Spencer Moulton Company of Bradford-on-Avon, and act as shock absorbers to the main leaf-springs

All the best,

Susie
Not just a big washer then ;)

Thanks for the info, makes sense to have some sort of resilient fixing here to reduce shock loading on the fixing plate.

mickoo

Western Thunderer

mickoo

Western Thunderer
:rant:....... :headbang:

IMG_8395.jpg

Four days after blacking and sealing in an air tight container, they're just :shit: .

Some were cleaned with Meths, some with White Spirits others with a cloth, all now starting to rust, rims and axles.

The only thing I can think of is that the blacking agent has 'gone off' so what's left will be in the chemical waste at work, 2 mins after starting work tomorrow!

I'll try Birchwood Casey next as this lot (Carrs) is just rubbish.

alcazar

I hate to disillusion you, but I got similar with a Birchwood Casey gun blue stick.......
I'll be interested to see how yours turn out.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I hate to disillusion you, but I got similar with a Birchwood Casey gun blue stick.......
I'll be interested to see how yours turn out.

Jeff, cheers, then I must be doing something wrong ;) , I'll try again but use a different method, these were all left for some time with the blacking agent on and none were washed, just wiped later when I thought they were dark enough.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Oily cotton bud after the chemical blackening has dried :thumbs::D.

For brass I use Kansa blackening agent http://www.kansacraft.co.uk/glasscatalogue/glasscatpages/pg40/4006.html
500ml bottles available, probably more economical than the railway modellers suppliers :rolleyes:.

Col.

Cheers Col, I got some brass blacking from Telford the other week, do you use the same stuff for steel wheels?.

I did wonder about a sheen of oil LOL, I'm trying a different method now where the agent is applied neat and then dropped in water about a minute later, so far the blacking is much more solid and consistent than before, seems the water reaction has a profound effect, before I just wiped the agent off and buffed.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was some agent still on there and was reacting with its self?

Locomodels

Western Thunderer
Mikoo,
I find that I get good results by using an acid dip, then a clear water wash. Dip in a neutralising solution and another clean water wash. With Birchwood Casey I use the agent neat on a cotton bud. Leave it to dry and then wash off in water. Then, like Colin, I use an oily cotton bud. The blackening is porous and seems to absorb the oil film.

A wheelset and crank axle that I made months ago has been kicking around on the work bench without a trace of rusting.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi chaps,

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't see where you're having an issue..

I clean the wheels with a glass fibre brush, and if I think it needs it, a wipe with some thinners, then apply neat casey blackening with a cotton bud... Leave it until you can see the metal has changed colour (almost instantly) and then wipe off the residue with some tissue..

That's all I do...

JB.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,
I suspect the greatest part of the problems you've been having are due to your choice of Baker's flux. With adequate washing it's fine, but I wonder if your wheels are contaminated, I which case they'll keep coming back rusty.
Steph