New S7 Member

mfsyoung

I joined this forum because I have just bought a MOK 4MT tank and saw postings for that kit here.

Been modelling railways since the 1960's off and on, 4mm and 7mm. Like building track and engines but not much else! Recently built an OO-SF layout for my sons to run all their RTR. My last layout was in O-SF started in the 1990's. Have sold that and have now taken up the challenge of S7. Already into building scissors crossovers and tandem turnouts which are easier in S7.

Anyway, Hi to everyone.

Michael.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I joined this forum because I have just bought a MOK 4MT tank and saw postings for that kit here.

Good choice for S7 if you have bought the S7 kit... there are at least two such kits being built on here. As far as I can recall, the only warning is with the support for the rear step... an etch item that might have escaped the S7 correction work.

Welcome to the best madhouse in the world.... you need a real sense of humour and a spare chair.

regards, Graham Beare - S7 and proud of the resulting confusion.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Welcome Michael.

MOK kits are certainly the dog's doohdaahs and I hope that you enjoy your build.

cheers

Mike

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Welcome to the madhouse, from another S7 modeller - there's quite a few of us on here now.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael,
I believe we had a short chat on the S7 e forum mate, welcome aboard, and as others have said you'll probably think we all need a check up from the neck up :)) but that's part of the fun :thumbs::D

ATB, Col.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
From one Mick to another welcome aboard. As written in the latest S7 newsletter WT is a popular place for us S7ers, the more the merrier,

ATB Mick :thumbs:

S

SteveO

Hello Michael. I was introduced to the MOK stand at Reading. Stunning kits on offer. Will look forward to reading all about yours.

adrian

Flying Squad
Welcome aboard - nice choice for a kit and I suspect some of the postings on the kit my have been my fault! Still making slow progress so I'll have to post an update soon. I'll get a bit more done just because I'll be at Wigan on the S7 stand next month and I'll feel guilty if there hasn't been a bit of progress from last time.

I would recommend getting the RCTS book on the standard tanks because although they were "standard" tanks there seems to be detail variations in every single member of the class - no two seem to be the same.

Otherwise feel free to ask if anything isn't clear, the build instructions are very good but even so there seems to be a few missing steps so if not paying attention you might miss something.

As far as I can recall, the only warning is with the support for the rear step... an etch item that might have escaped the S7 correction work.
The brass castings for the front guard irons on the pony truck also need tweaking - they seem to be the FS versions so that with the wider frames they end up being about 37mm in width when fitted, so they need shortening and tweaking to line up with S7.

Regards

Adrian

David Taylor

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael,

Welcome from another new member.

I wish I'd gone S7 (and still might), but wheels and axles just seemed too hard down here (Australia) at the time.

Funny about the 00-SF thing, I'm doing the same. I choose CJF's Umberleigh plan and used Templot to trace the track. Built all the track for the station and that's where it's stalled.

Do you have any photos of the 00-SF stuff? I know it isn't what this board is about but it might still be nice to have a look.

Regards,
David.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
From one Mick to another welcome aboard. As written in the latest S7 newsletter WT is a popular place for us S7ers, the more the merrier,

ATB Mick :thumbs:

Michael,
Welcome to the forum :)

Mick,
It's still quite a popular place for us FS-ers too ;-)

Steph

mfsyoung

Hi Michael,

Welcome from another new member.

I wish I'd gone S7 (and still might), but wheels and axles just seemed too hard down here (Australia) at the time.

Funny about the 00-SF thing, I'm doing the same. I choose CJF's Umberleigh plan and used Templot to trace the track. Built all the track for the station and that's where it's stalled.

Do you have any photos of the 00-SF stuff? I know it isn't what this board is about but it might still be nice to have a look.

Regards,
David.

Hello David,

Yes, I have a few photos, where shall I post them?
There are a couple of photos on the Scalescenes site.

Regards
Michael.

mfsyoung

The brass castings for the front guard irons on the pony truck also need tweaking - they seem to be the FS versions so that with the wider frames they end up being about 37mm in width when fitted, so they need shortening and tweaking to line up with S7.

Regards

Adrian

And the S7 bogie wheel axles are 5/32 not 3/16.

Slaters bushes?

Michael.

mfsyoung

As far as I can recall, the only warning is with the support for the rear step... an etch item that might have escaped the S7 correction work.

Are these part nos 155, 156, 176A/B and 178? There is a separate S7 etch taped inside the book.

Michael.

adrian

Flying Squad
And the S7 bogie wheel axles are 5/32 not 3/16.
Oh yeah, that as well! For the front pony truck I turned a small ptfe bush to insert in the casting to reduce the size. For the rear bogie I modified the solid bushes with moving hornblocks, the replacements drilled 5/32".

Are these part nos 155, 156, 176A/B and 178? There is a separate S7 etch taped inside the book.
I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, I'll check tonight if I get time.