Nostalgic daydreaming

Neil

Western Thunderer
Funny how the mind works; I?m part way through ?The Bus We Loved? by Travis Elborough, the story of the Routemaster. More than once I?ve found myself drifting away to my childhood. In York we had Lodekas rather than the Routemaster, but a proper bus with a crew of two seems an age away now. Though a I?m a child of the sixties our fruit and veg was delivered by horse and cart, Mr Grey was a friendly old boy and the horse went by an ironic name that memory fails to recall. All this would be very pleasant but inconsequential, were it not for two further visitors from long past.

Childhood holidays were most often spent in Wales, usually in some self-catering dive at the lower end of the price spectrum. A fortnight in Towyn at the end of the long hot summer of ?76 was memorable not just for the stifling heat and my individual freedom to roam equipped with pack up and rail rover but for an old double decker that pulled onto the prom at Towyn in the second week. It was, so the A board dumped onto the pavement outside said, a railway museum. I paid my 5p and was ushered into the lower deck by an old man (most men looked to be old when I was fifteen) and shown a collection of stuff. I say stuff because I can?t remember exactly what it was. I guess that it was more wagon plate than nameplate. I have vague recollections of some signs and I?m sure there was a model railway with a Triang Jinty shuttling back and forwards. I do remember that the top deck was roped off and I assume that was the living quarters. I can?t have been hugely impressed by the display, but the notion of sticking two fingers up at the world of work and living simply but following ones interests is still powerful today. I?d love to know more, but I doubt I ever will.

A little earlier, probably at eleven or twelve, I started to get the Railway Modeller. Looking back much would be pants, lots of Triang used rather unimaginatively, though it was peppered with gems. One that I?d forgotten about till today was a gauge one garden railway by, I think, a Mr Griffiths. The models weren?t spectacular, but some of the photos undoubtedly were. The stick in the mind one was a long distance shot across the garden of a tender engine hauling a train under the trees in dappled sunshine.  I?m sure that it wasn?t at all finescale in approach, but the atmosphere reminded me of the photos of the Talyllyn in the early days of preservation where the railway had knitted itself firmly into the landscape. Marvelous.

I?d be very grateful and perhaps a bit surprised if anyone can add anything to either memory. I guess that the gauge one garden railway is the likelier prospect, but then again you never know.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
  :scratch: Would the garden railway pic be of a un-rebuilt Merchant Navy  or Battle of Britain  on a curve ?

Neil

Western Thunderer
Phill Dyson said:
  :scratch: Would the garden railway pic be of a un-rebuilt Merchant Navy  or Battle of Britain  on a curve ?

No I don't think so, if the little grey cells haven't totally turned to mush they'd have it that it was one of those coarse scale generic tender locos. But I may be wrong.

28ten

Guv'nor
I cant help im afraid, but its intriguing the way these old memories stay with us. My 'Railway modeller moment' was railway of the month December 76 (I think) a kind of mixed HO and OO layout by a chap called Robin Hood  ??? I cant even remember what it was that impressed me but I must have read the article several dozen times. We also went to Amsterdam and Frankfurt in 72 and I distinctly recall the Yellow Dutch railways coaches and the trams in Amsterdam. We travelled on the Rheingold and a small part of the journey was in the observation car, very powerful memories but I couldn't tell you what I say just colours and and sounds.
To this day I only have to see one of these http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=331826&nseq=2 and I want to build a DB circa 71/72 layout

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I remember going to Austria when I was about 12 with the school ski-ing and I saw a crocodile type  loco from the coach on our way and eating loads and loads of buscuits called Waifa wish I  couldstill get them.

Ian

Simon

Flying Squad
28ten said:
I cant help im afraid, but its intriguing the way these old memories stay with us. My 'Railway modeller moment' was railway of the month December 76 (I think) a kind of mixed HO and OO layout by a chap called Robin Hood  ??? I cant even remember what it was that impressed me but I must have read the article several dozen times. We also went to Amsterdam and Frankfurt in 72 and I distinctly recall the Yellow Dutch railways coaches and the trams in Amsterdam. We travelled on the Rheingold and a small part of the journey was in the observation car, very powerful memories but I couldn't tell you what I say just colours and and sounds.
To this day I only have to see one of these http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=331826&nseq=2 and I want to build a DB circa 71/72 layout

Sad magazine geek calling....

It was December 1977, I am just looking at it now.

It definitely has a certain "je ne sais quoi" and like you it stuck in my memory as being memorable.

That said, I think my most "memorable Modeller" was the November 1970 issue the one with Derek Shore's fantastic "Avondale Waterfoot and Creston" system in it. That was actually the first RM that I bought, a later favourite had Peter Haddock's "Wanetka Warlock and Western" or somesuch, the trackplan of which was absolutely brilliant. Although this is the one of my early magazine purchases that I managed to lose over the years, I'm guessing it was a 1972 issue, it was one with a blue masthead in the then new style...

And to think that today people complain about the wrong kind of curtains in those superb new Hawksworths - sheesh

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I always liked Jack Rays 'Crewechester' & Don Neale's Kirtley Branch, for all the increases in detail & fine scale standards .........I'm not sure we have gained much really, but maybe that's just me  :scratch:

Phill  :wave:

Temeraire

Western Thunderer
My overwelming childhood railway memories revolve round many trips taken to see family in southern Germany.
Travel was usually by day ferry from Harwich to Hook van Holland and then by sleeper train ("Britannia Express") from the Hook to Munich.

Although I didn't know it at the time, in Holland, the train was hauled by the former EM2 Woodhead electrics that were sold to the NS. There would be a loco change at Aarchen late evening to a DB loco. Usually a 110 electric but sometimes a 103 turned up. The 103s made a huge impression on me, their bulbous noses always seemed to be more like an airliner than a loco. 

I was always taken with the idea of sleeping on the train and I looked forward to for months in advance. There was something truely magical about pulling the blind back an peeping out of the window watching the darkness slip by. There was always a lay-over in Koln in the early hours. I used to get up and was allowed to wander round the deserted station with its huge gothic trainshed. We often went in winter and there was nearly always snow on the ground. The snow used to blow into the coaches, past the fold-down flap that covered the footstep well (anyone who's been on older european coaches will know that I mean here!). At christmas people seemed to leave the curtains open and there would be hundreds of lit christmas trees in the windows. All with small white lights as the europeans do.

Happy days and probably what resulted in my love of railways and especially German/Austrian ones!
Off to Google the Britannia Express now I think.........

The budget airlines have a lot to answer for. Easyjet just doesn't do it somehow! 

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Neil said:
A little earlier, probably at eleven or twelve, I started to get the Railway Modeller. Looking back much would be pants, lots of Triang used rather unimaginatively, though it was peppered with gems. One that I?d forgotten about till today was a gauge one garden railway by, I think, a Mr Griffiths. The models weren?t spectacular, but some of the photos undoubtedly were. The stick in the mind one was a long distance shot across the garden of a tender engine hauling a train under the trees in dappled sunshine.  I?m sure that it wasn?t at all finescale in approach, but the atmosphere reminded me of the photos of the Talyllyn in the early days of preservation where the railway had knitted itself firmly into the landscape. Marvelous.

I?d be very grateful and perhaps a bit surprised if anyone can add anything to either memory. I guess that the gauge one garden railway is the likelier prospect, but then again you never know.

Wish I could help with the above Neil having been on the receiving end of something similar myself, but alas I have no RM's dating back far enough.

My abiding memories from Railway Modeller articles were also from about the age of twelve, must be something about that age!
The first was a 009 layout that had been built in a coffee table. I remember being impressed that it wasn't of the usual style of construction, as well as being the first narrow gauge model that really fired my imagination. I still haven't managed to scratch that particular itch yet, but it was a good day when I finally tracked down a copy of the magazine with the help of Nick Smith. November 1986 was the offender, and re-reading the article transported me back the best part of quarter of a century straight away :) Every now and then I remember to try and find a copy at shows or via ebay, but no joy so far...

The second article was an N gauge layout of the West Highlands. What blew me away was the sheer scale of the thing, the number of stations modelled and the length of the trains. I'm sure it was built in a loft and included most of the stations on the line, but I can't remember anything else of significance. I'd love to read the article again to find out if it was operations orientated and whether it really was as large as my memory recalls.

Steve

westernfan

Western Thunderer
I had my first train set for Christmas when i  was 8, it soon ended up in the loft redundant due to the transformer burning out . and it wasnt until i was at boarding school that the passion for model railways was re ignited. The school had a model railway club of which i was a member, the two most impressive moments were the day out on the barnstable to meeth line , where i got to drive a nbl baby warship ( mentioned in my layout thread ) and a visit to the Rev Peter Dennys EM gauge model railway ,"Buckingham Great Central" I can remember being gob a gape as i walked into the room, to my left was the station Buckingham central in all its glory then the line turned left past various sidings then left again to Grandborough Junction then the line dissappeared behind a scenic break  into another room before remerging back into the room terminating at the last station Leighton Buzzard . I was allowed to have a go but ive  got to confess that i did get reprimanded for hump shunting . i can remember something about a mechcanical computer with cards with holes punched in  and that the  timetable clock ran four times faster than normal time.  Big respect to the late Rev Peter Denny , for me he was one of the pioneers in the field of model railways :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I remember the NG coffee table layout too, there was a oo  layout too built on top of a sideboard with a cover to hide it when not in use which had a few articles about it in the 70's...............my mum wouldn't allow that though  ;D :))

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I seem to remember Crewechester but I dont know why. I used to buy the Railway modeller and had it delivered I also remember what it had written on the front cover 'For the AVERAGE enthusiast' :scratch: :scratch:

Ian