Old Parrock

PMP

Western Thunderer
IMG_1522.JPG

They're on general release now, if that helps.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Well, I've spent a productive week in the North East staying with my very good friend Richard (he of Low Quay Yard in the competition), and we'v produced a baseboard each. They are the same design and dimension, just the track beds are different to reflect our separate plans.

P1030132.JPG

We've fitted drawer runners in each end to facilitate the fiddle yards:

P1030133.JPG

P1030134.JPG

They are strong and secure. The idea is that the fiddle yards slot in and clamp to the baseboard, and it means that we only need two trestles. I must admit that I'm quite daunted by the prospect of designing these.

Also, I'm busy negotiating a domestic storage arrangement for the layout as it's worked on - at the moment my railway hobby is in disarray and spread all over the house - help!

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Also, I'm busy negotiating a domestic storage arrangement for the layout as it's worked on - at the moment my railway hobby is in disarray and spread all over the house - help!

I suspect we're all a lost cause on that score if left to our own devices; I've got turntable parts spread from the lounge to the workshop, model railway bits spreading from the workshop into the lounge and tools in both places...

However, with recent success on both fronts today is clear up day. :)

Steph

PaulR

Western Thunderer
I have been working on the right hand fiddle yard. It's nearly finished, but I need a hinged front on the end for the stock box storage hatch. As you can see, the sliding sector plate is utterly simple, but it seems to work well; it only needs to accommodate two tracks which will both be permanently live.

Richard (Low Quay Yard) has also been working on his right hand fiddle yard, and it's looking great - come on Richard, get it posted!

The drawer runners seem to be working OK, but we have both added a single clamp underneath for added security.

upload_2017-12-16_14-21-36.png

upload_2017-12-16_14-22-6.png

upload_2017-12-16_14-22-34.png

upload_2017-12-16_14-22-58.png

Richard H

Western Thunderer
Hi Paul,
Your fiddle yard and screen arrangement is really interesting. I like the idea of the sector plate being raised and visible from normal viewing position, and therefore part of 'the show', while you've also created loads of 'hidden' space for stock storage and other various uses - and the display screen looks great. Did Mr Occam influence your thinking on the automatic alignment of the tracks on the two-way sector plate using the stop-blocks? All very neat!
Richard

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Whole Layout 1.jpg

It has been difficult to get the woodworking stuff out lately (domestic pressures), so getting to this stage has taken a bit longer than I hoped, but I think the major woodwork is now finished. The next stage is to prime the backscene and start track laying. After that it's the dreaded electrics - the bit I hate.

The left board has a ludicrously simple sector plate on it, but it seems to slide nicely on three pieces of aluminium angle (one in the centre).

Left board 1.jpg

Left Board 3.jpg

I have been sorting out wagon stock for the layout though, and have a few ready for the paint shop. What a pity there's only 15 months to go - I just haven't got time to build the layout and all the stock I want for it. Eventually I'm going to return to my beloved 'Brighton' line in EM Gauge, but that's another story. Who else spends their whole time working on a project, thinking about the next one - aargh?!

PaulR

Western Thunderer
It's time I posted something.

I've just finished weathering a loco. It's a Bachmann C Class in SECR 1917 wartime livery. Let's say it's around 1925/6 and she hasn't been repainted yet in Southern Railway livery. I wanted to make it look as if the paint job is worn but she still gets cleaned up occasionally.

I'm presuming that the crew will be wearing grey jackets, not blue ones - any ideas on that?

C Class final weathering 3.jpg

I'm intending to start track laying and electrics this week - a year doesn't seem very long when I think of everything I'd like to do.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
You could even push the boat out to 1929.... as some of the LBSC D tanks wore their Marsh umber livery until this date so not was all repainted immediately - the Southern perhaps even less so as they were concentrating on their electrification programme.

Anecdotal evidence suggests the SECR wartime zinc grey weathered to almost black if not cleaned.

From my understanding the blue denim locomotive crew clothing was introduced post nationalisation therefore white shirts, grey jackets and black trousers would be de rigueur.

John Rich

Gosh that's interesting, in my ignorance I always assumed blue denim was also worn pre war, how stupid am I for making that assumption. Think I am going to need to repaint some footplate crews !

John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
always assumed blue denim was also worn pre war

Forever in Blue Jeans... I thought the same until I was researching the colours for the 1930's LMS Turbomotive crew clothing (driver, fireman and fitter). Which prompted me to look closely at railway uniforms in photographs.

Result: I too, have a few SR crew to repaint.....

John Rich

Forever in Blue Jeans... I thought the same until I was researching the colours for the 1930's LMS Turbomotive crew clothing (driver, fireman and fitter). Which prompted me to look closely at railway uniforms in photographs.

Result: I too, have a few SR crew to repaint.....

There is so much more to railway modelling and research than just the Engines and Rolling Stock, that's why I enjoy the hobby.

John

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Anecdotal evidence suggests the SECR wartime zinc grey weathered to almost black if not cleaned.

Yes, I've read that too somewhere. I had a go at reproducing that, but rather than looking darker it looked dirtier, so I cleaned it off. The final result is a compromise on that.

My first interest is the LBSCR, but I think the Wainwright locos are gorgeous, and we all love the glorious Wainwright livery which he refused to compromise on while he was in charge at Ashford. His Chief Draughtsman Robert Surtees commented that, 'Harry has a weakness for frills.' - I think I've got the quote right. However, I rather like the austere look of the wartime grey livery. It's just as well too because some unscrupulous traders are putting up Bachmann locos in SECR green for obscene prices on eBay - Bachmann could end all that by continuing to produce them.

Thanks for the confirmation about drivers' outfits - it's a significant piece of information.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Chief Draughtsman Robert Surtees

An ex-LCDR man - there are some SECR drawings in the NRM which bear his signature along with Harry Wainwright's. Together with LBSCR drawings with L B Billinton and D E Marsh's signatures. It's quite fascinating handling these and seeing the original signatures.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Track is now laid. I hope to start the electrics next week - and get it out of the way as soon as possible because it's my least favourite job. Mind you, it will be stupidly simple; one engine in steam so all live with the only isolating switches in the fiddle yard.

Track Laid 1.jpg

Track Laid 2.jpg

Track Laid 3.jpg

Track Laid 5.jpg

The hole in the sky needs opening up a little.

At the moment the whole thing is stored in the corner of the living room with tools and stuff distributed around cupboards downstairs. There may be a decent shed in the offing, properly lined etc. It's exciting in one sense, but I'm wondering whether I will really want to spend my time out there - I'd hate to invest it and then find that it's not really my preferred way of doing the hobby. Personal criteria would be a reasonable sound system and a kettle for tea/coffee on tap!

Any comments or advice on this would be welcome.

PaulR

Western Thunderer
Ok, so it's not a pretty picture, but it represents a good weekend's work playing with wires and a lot of listening to old favourites on Spotify.

Main board wiring.jpg

I still have the fiddle yards to do. The point switches (Cobalt Analogue motors) are working well but I haven't checked the polarity switching yet. The obsessive taping down is partly from over 45 years of playing in bands and learning the hard way about loose wires - if it's taped down it can't move and if it can't move there's much less reason for it to stop working by getting hooked up in something.

Oh, and also, my little men are now painted:

C Class completed 2.jpg