7mm On Heather's Workbench - Prairie ago-go

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I presume your client didn't want the GWR roundel. Introduced in late 1934, photographic evidence shows the previous full 'Great Western' was still in evidence in 1939 and later and so you are on safe ground. When I took up painting & lining, no one wanted the roundel on thier locos.

GWR official photo circa September 1934 showing the route disc. Large Prairies continued to carry the route disc on the cabside after shutters were fitted, so who knows when the disc moved to above the number plate.
WEB GWR 4555.jpg

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
You are correct, Larry. Client sent me the livery he wanted. I had secretly hoped he would go for the shirt button livery, but no.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
When shutters were fitted, the discs initially appeared on the shutters but were soon moved to just above the number plate (to facilitate visibility in blackout conditions apparently).

Dave

I did read your post Dave. Shutters were fitted from the early 1920's, just to add a bit of meat to the bones. The route discs must have been carried on the shutters quite a few years if they were moved to the bunker sides because of wartime blackout.

Last edited:

daifly

Western Thunderer
On the 45xx class the shutters were fitted from 1931 with all being completed by c1937.
The discs were moved to above the numberplate when blackout restrictions were introduced.
Dave

LarryG

Western Thunderer
See 'Great Western Moguls and Prairies' by Maidment for a photo of 4594 built new at Swindon in April 1927 before release to traffic. It has cabside shutters and yellow dot.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I looked at 4594 earlier this afternoon. It is, of course a much later 4575 Class which I accept were built with shutters. However, the earlier 45xx Class locos built in the early 20s were retrofitted with them in the 30s.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Heather
This popped up on eBay today
Dave

As a general rule, I don’t do eBay, but there you are. I’m funny like that. It took me several years to finally get a PayPal account, so another decade and I might accept eBay. :))

Still, that confirms a side sheet location for the route disc. I’m still waiting for my client to make his choice.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave! That’s interesting, because it’s the loco before mine, and in preservation. The industrial archaeologist in me can now spot the lowered handrail which shows the side shutters have been removed.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
You’re right, Chris. Even when it’s "finished" it’ll still be hanging around though. It’s going to take time to organise the DCC and stuff.

Anyway, heard from the client. He’s happy for the discs to go on the shutters, so that’s all good. I can do that and get the paint shop set up for varnishing.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Heather, Set todays task of completing it and get it off your desk before you go to bed.

We are forced to take the bad with the good when working for a company. Self-employment differs because we depend on making our own wages. Working our clogs off trying to sort out a "loser" while watching our hourly rate reduce to 10p and hour is no fun. One summer, I took the view that if I beggared off on a weeks holiday with my camera, then I would not lose anything! I completed the "stinker" on the last day of my hols with a clear mind knowing my holiday pay was covering it! Lateral thinking.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Heather, Set todays task of completing it and get it off your desk before you go to bed.

That's exactly what I should do. I’ve cleared space for the extractor gubbins, so just need energy to set it up. While the varnish dries I can reassemble the chassis.

It sounds so easy, doesn’t it. Depression is a right bu**er. I don’t recommend it to anyone. I’m not even a bad case of it.

I keep hoping I’ll get over it, but it doesn’t work quite that way. Still, Christmas and new year is a time I have planned to do some good clearing out of old rubbish and unwanted stuff. The first week in the new year sees Best Beloved and I finally get married (we've been together for over 30 years, so it’s about time!), and once that’s out of the way I want to try and reboot myself properly.

Despite the pandemic and that B-word, I want to try and make 2021 a better year all round. Wish me luck. ;)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
TThe first week in the new year sees Best Beloved and I finally get married (we've been together for over 30 years, so it’s about time!), and once that’s out of the way I want to try and reboot myself properly.

Despite the pandemic and that B-word, I want to try and make 2021 a better year all round. Wish me luck. ;)

Hi Heather,

congratulations to you and Best Beloved. There is nothing like getting married to reboot your life.

All best wishes from sunny Wirral.

Mike