On Heather's Workbench - right out of the box

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Today's task is to fettle the roof/side interface (so they fit together), assemble the coach, and get the No Smoking transfers in the relevant windows.

Should be done by elevenses. :thumbs:

IMG_5140.jpg

Here's everything ready to be stuck together.

IMG_5141.jpg

The glazing and ventilators are really the weakest point in these kits.

IMG_5143.jpg

I found some wire that sacrificed its insulation for the ETH connectors. Why is this not in the kit? I shall query with Laurie when I see him at Reading.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

If you're got time, add some silver, perhaps with a marker pen, on to the corridor hinges. The real things tended to be stainless steel so either silver or a very dark grey as they sometimes went after heavy accumulation of dirt and weathering.

Cheers

Tom

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Thanks Tom. I think a spot of drybrushing once the body's put together.

Today, glue isn't doing what glue should do. I have walked away before I do some serious damage. :headbang:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Today's task is to fettle the roof/side interface (so they fit together), assemble the coach, and get the No Smoking transfers in the relevant windows.

Should be done by elevenses. :thumbs:
I have just had my elevenses... a small jar of honey... how about yours?

regards, Graham

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Please post a close up of the door /commode handles, the parts look very nice in the photo of the sides.

Your photo of the bits on the bench suggests that some of the parts are not flat... sides and roof methinks. What will you do to ensure that the parts meet without unsavoury gaps?

Last edited:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Graham, the compact camera tends to cause a barrelling of images when close up. I sometimes get over it by zooming in a fraction while in macro mode, but I usually just accept it's an optical effect.

I'll get some close-ups of the handles later. As you know, there are four of each on a basic Mk2, so the standard JLTRT brass sprue has double the required amount. This means I can be choosy and select the cleanest castings. I think Tom has pointed out the commode handle bodyside holes are a gnat's too far apart, but I get over this problem by the simple expedient of subtly widening the "jaws" the fraction necessary to fit. I don't think this subterfuge is noticeable.

Meanwhile, here's a useful tip - which is partly what this thread has been about - for fitting the roof.

The body sides have a tab that runs virtually their whole length, which fits into the slots of the roof. I try to clean up moulding pips and stuff before I start the painting process, but the layers of primer, grey and blue adds sufficient thickness that the fit needs to be fettled.

I have done this by carefully scraping away the paint from the tab - though this has its elements of danger if the tool slips... Let's not go there. *wince*. An alternative method is to take a square needle file and draw it along the roof slot.

IMG_5144.jpg

I found a few passes of the file (you have to drag it backwards, because I found it will bind if you try to use it in the normal manner) removes enough of the sides of the slots to give a comfortable fit to the sides with the paint still in place on the tabs.

I hope that helps someone somewhere. I wish I'd thought of doing it on the previous seven JLTRT kits I've built! :))

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Hi Heather,

Does the HMRS sheet come with 'Guard', 'Load 3 Tonnes', 'For Emergency Use Only' and 'Private' markings in white and black please?

Cheers

Tom

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Does the HMRS sheet come with 'Guard', 'Load 3 Tonnes', 'For Emergency Use Only' and 'Private' markings in white and black please?

In white:

• Load 3 tons evenly distributed
  • Private
  • Guard

No "Emergency Use Only", and none of the above in black.

It might be worth checking whether Fox have the other bits you need. If they don't, then you'll have to look at the bespoke transfer makers to see if you can get them done specially.

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
Thanks Heather. I agree that it'll probably be easier and cheaper to get the whole lots produced bespoke seeing as I need some data end panels and warning flashes too.

Thanks

Tom

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I think Fox do both the old and new warning flashes in their range. The ones I used are Fox waterslide. I went with the HMRS methfix ones for the branding and number because I'm never happy I can lose the inevitable carrier film around waterslide decals.

Anyway, cruel closeup of the commode and door handles for Professor Barking.

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

I finally managed to get glue to behave, with a little help from tape to keep things under control.

IMG_5152.jpg

And the first maker's plate is affixed in an unobtrusive place. Once the paint is dry I'll coat it with varnish - along with those little bits of underframe that needed retouching.

The plan for the plates is they will generally be painted over like this. Best Beloved suggested I could clean away paint on the raised areas, until I pointed out most of the plate was in fact raised! I can use a white paint pen to mark a build date below the plate.

Just need to makes sure there's as little dust and crud inside the coach before the roof goes on, reattach the bogies and get it rolled out for its official portrait.