Overhead warning plates

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I think these earlier plates with red flashes and writing are far more visually pleasing than the modern ones we have today. They really grab your attention (which is the whole idea, I guess), whereas the contemporary black/yellow version looks (to me at least), like just another element of whichever dreadful livery it's been applied to. :cry:

Regards

Dan

D1054

Western Thunderer
Hi All,

These look an excellent idea and I'd certainly be interested in both the plates and some correct transfers for my fleet of 70's diesels :drool: :thumbs: Is this still a work in progress?

Ian A

28ten

Guv'nor
The etching artwork is ready to go off, I held back in case I needed anything else for the build, but it doesn't look like it now. So I will send it off in the next month

D1054

Western Thunderer
That's excellent news Cynric - please count me in for these, and if there's anything I can do to help, just shout :)

Who would you use for the transfers?

28ten

Guv'nor
D1054 said:
That's excellent news Cynric - please count me in for these, and if there's anything I can do to help, just shout :)

Who would you use for the transfers?
Dan recommended somebody but I cant remember who :scratch:
I have the photo Phill took which gives the correct shape of the warning flash to work from and I have a couple of very close matches for the font - which is more than I could get for the Western nameplates :D :headbang:

D1054

Western Thunderer
Steve Willis of the DTG makes the replica plates to exact specification for D1015 (I know this because he made my D1054 name and numberplates carried on the Western Rocks railtour in March). I'll check the font with him... watch this space.

On the subject of O Gauge WESTERN plates, the generally available commercial etches aren't deep enough to give a good realistic profile - does anyone know of anyone who can does these? (Probably been asked on the forum before - apologies if I've not discovered it yet.)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
D1054 said:
On the subject of O Gauge WESTERN plates, the generally available commercial etches aren't deep enough to give a good realistic profile - does anyone know of anyone who can does these? (Probably been asked on the forum before - apologies if I've not discovered it yet.)
The ones that I have found which lack relief are Shawplan like this :vista:

[attachment=0:12crp1d4]Weathered%20Ranger%20023RMR.jpg[/attachment:12crp1d4]

The best I have used are these http://www.severnmillnameplates.co.uk/ like this:

[attachment=1:12crp1d4]RMWPlates2.jpg[/attachment:12crp1d4]

But I have also used Guilplates etch brass ones painted like so

[attachment=2:12crp1d4]XL803581.JPG[/attachment:12crp1d4]

I hope this helps :)

Cheers Phill :thumbs:

Attachments

• XL803581.JPG
    XL803581.JPG
    413.6 KB · Views: 38
  • RMWPlates2.jpg
    RMWPlates2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Weathered%20Ranger%20023RMR.jpg
    Weathered%20Ranger%20023RMR.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 37

D1054

Western Thunderer
Severnmill it is! But at ?22 a shot they're an investment! Wonder if they'll sell at auction for ?10,000 in 30 years time? :lol:

28ten

Guv'nor
D1054 said:
Severnmill it is! But at ?22 a shot they're an investment! Wonder if they'll sell at auction for ?10,000 in 30 years time? :lol:
I will try and take a shot of my sevenmill western plates tomorrow

28ten

Guv'nor
I finally traced the flash tonight, next job is to export it and do the lettering.... really must pull my finger out as this only took 5 minutes :headbang:

Attachments

• flashtcadcrop.JPG
    flashtcadcrop.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 73

28ten

Guv'nor
The lettering is done apart from a alignmentfew tweaks.
I think red on a clear background is the best option as this will then sit on the etched plates which can be painted white.
Anybody have any other ideas?

Attachments

• flash drawn.JPG
    flash drawn.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 54
  • flash drawn.JPG
    flash drawn.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 55

28ten

Guv'nor
Clear it is then! The plan is to prime the etches with White primer apply the transfer, varnish and then fix to loco.....