Oz7mm's occasional meanderings - 5" Gauge Met Bo-Bo

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Col

Weathering yes, mullering no - keep your airbrush to yourself:(

I have some pictures of them looking quite faded in the 1950s which quite appeals. I wish I could remembers what sort of state they were in when I used to commute to school.

John

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi John.

I'm pleased it'll be useful.

I believe it's on the siding by the signal box. I think the Chiltern Court siding was the other side of the station. The tunnel entrance in the background is going north towards Finchley Road. However, doubtless Yorkshire Dave will be along soon and will confirm.

Brian

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave. It's a long time since I went to that side of Baker Street (immediate cue for saxophone riff in my head).

So that's by platform 4? I can't recall how the platform numbering works and how it takes in the Circle line platforms.

John

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Baker Street platform numbering is:

Met main: 1 (bay on Chiltern Court side), 2 NB, 3 SB, 4 (bay on signal box side)
H&C/Circle: 5 EB, 6 WB.

And the Yerkes tube we generally don't mention within the same breath as the Met ;).....

Bakerloo: 8 SB, 9 NB.
Jubilee: 7 SB, 10 NB.

For the unintiated LT refer to their lines as North, South, East or Westbound rather than the traditional railway 'Up' and 'Down'.....

...unless it's the old GC and Midland where I believe historically they travelled 'Down' rather than 'Up' to London. I think there is still a 197 milepost on the ex-GC line just south of Harrow as the GC measured their distances from Manchester.

A map found on t'interweb and finally for a bit of triva, Baker St has the most number platforms (10) of all the LT stations.

EdgwareRoadBakerStreet.jpg

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Been a bit quiet on the Bo-Bo front of late but it moves steadily on. It always seems like you are getting to the home straight when some paint goes on.

This is bogie A all stripped down and painted with Halfords rattle can satin black.

The second one should follow shortly.

John

Bogie 1.jpgBogie 2.jpg

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
I'd like to finish the Bo-Bo in faded LT colours. Any suggestions as to whether there's a rattle can car paint that might be suitable?

Also, the roof appears in dark grey and something that looks like red oxide in photographs in LT times. Are there relevant dates for when these colours were applied?

Thanks

John

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
I have got original paint samples of the Bullock Maroon (plus the Cerulean for any areas of the cab interior that might show through the windows) carefully stored in a box (somewhere!) John. I suspect that the search might involve the use of a step ladder and perhaps even a scaffold board, (?!) but if successful, I could try mixing a swatch large enough to hopefully get you a reasonable rattle can match?

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
That's why the need for ladders and boards John! So much of it and so little space!

I assume you mean apart from what I manage to cram into my head, otherwise it's taken many years of practice to get into such a fine mess!

Pete.

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Just dug the ladder out of the cellar (where else?!) and carried it two flights upstairs, had a quick shufftie and bingo! Carefully re-sealed and replaced small stack of boxes on top of cupboard, tidied up, brought ladder back down and packed it away again.

Excitedly opened small package and... Oh b****r! Only the green samples therein!!

zpaintSAM_7748.JPG

I suppose the fact that the little matchbox had been separated from the motherlode at some point should have been a clue, but I was convinced that the samples were all together. Clearly not as it happens.

Please bear with me and my failing memory, this collection was assembled very, very many years ago - and in rather more certain times maybe?!

I will try again this evening.

Pete.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
I see I have said nothing on the Bo-Bo for 9 months. There has been progress but this is really a one afternoon a week project. It has run (up on blocks) but the leaf spring suspension is a bit stiff and the bogies can sometimes feel rather solid. I'd like to get that sorted before trying a track test.

Latest changes have been the shoe beams and some spray painting (etch primer on the chassis. Also getting some maroon on the louvres which have been in grey primer for ever. The 4th rail pick up assemblies may be finished before too long.

I have put the roof vents in place bit they need to be stuck down.

Then it's glazing, handrails (all prepared) and detailing. Ken de Groome has offered to make the destination board brackets and steps using his pantograph milling thingy.

One thing I would welcome some ideas on is the headlamp reflectors. Linton Towell of this parish created a reflector for the headlamp of his NSWR Z12 Class by cutting a cone shape rebate in N/S bar. This looks a good solution, but I can't find any N/S bar large enough (18mm) for the job on this beast. Would aluminium look OK? Would it be reflective enough? Answers on a postcard....

Together sprayed first coat.jpg

Roof vents.

Body with vents.jpg

John

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Paul

Indeed I could. On an NSWR 400 class railcar I got unbelievably lucky. I was delivering the village magazine to my neighbour when he appeared. For some strange reason I asked if he had a mini Maglite he didn't want. He promptly went inside and brought out two. I think that's called serendipity.

This time I may have to pay!

Thanks Paul. I spent quite a while looking and didn't find anything.

John