4mm Pragmatic Finescale - stuartp's "00" workbench

stuartp

GER/BR CCT(E) from the spares box:

Some years ago, whilst rummaging in the cheap tat box under a stall at a show, I came across a Lima BR GUV. I like parcels train so although I already had a couple of these I bought it. It was in RES livery but nothing that a can of paint wouldn't cure, and it was only when I got it home and compared it to the others that I realised what was different - it had no windows. Still not a problem, I can cut four holes the same size if I concentrate, but a bit more involved than a quick respray so it went in the stash to await its turn. Then one day I pinched the chassis to build a BG with a set of Comet sides, and the remains went in the spares box.

Several years later I bought Railways in Profile No.6 by G Gamble - "BR Non-Passenger Rolling Stock". In it were a couple of pics of BR parcels vans built on ex-GER underframes - not of immediate interest to someone modelling the wilds of southern Scotland perhaps until saw that the pic of the ex-works CCT version had been taken at Millerhill, which was close enough for me. The end doors looked like BR GUV/CCT doors, very austere bodywork with very few twiddly bits to bog down the build (there are more than I thought as it turns out) and a suprisingly chunky purposeful look to the thing.

The prototype was a rebuild on an ex-GER coach underframe. As well as Gamble a photo of one appears in David Larkins' "BR General Parcels Rolling Stock" (Bradford Barton 1978). Combining the information in the two captions, a batch of vehicles was built in the early 50s on coach underframes released by the 1949 Shenfield electrification. Two types were produced, a van with plain ends and a pair of double doors each side, and a van with end doors and three double doors per side. Larkin describes the first batch as GUVs, being "... about the only correctly described vehicle of that type" whereas Gamble (who depicts both types in his book) describes them as PMVs, the 'PMV' branding being clearly visible on the pic to prove his point. The end door vans were classified 'CCT(E)'. The photos show a PMV in maroon at Cambridge in 1958, a CCT(E) in ex-works maroon at Millerhill in 1962 (the subject of this model) and another CCT(E) in battered crimson at Wisbech in 1969.

So the long abandoned BR GUV body came down from the loft for a good looking at. The GUV roof was clearly no use, the CCT(E) was a fair bit higher, and I reckoned it would be too narrow as well once I'd widened the body to create a slight tumblehome. That left the bogie and chassis. A couple of years ago, with a great deal of help from GER stalwarts Adrian (Buckjumper), Simon and Mike, I had some etched sides done by Bill Bedford for an ex-GER Cafeteria Car which had eventually found its way into ScR stock. I could copy the chassis of that (Bills etches are gorgeous but this is a bog standard 'layout' vehicle), and whilst pouring over GER carriage photos for that project it occurred to me that the GER bogie was similar in shape at least to the LNWR one. A further rummage in the loft produced a Ratio LNWR kit which was duly robbed of its bogies and buffers, resulting in this pile of bits:
IMG_0723.JPG

After the meticulous research done for the Cafeteria Car (not by me), the research for this one consisted of looking at two photos, reading the captions, and making a lot of assumptions. The body was cut down to 54' over headstocks, what little raised detail there was was sanded off and cut outs made to clear the new windows, some sides were marked out in 20 thou styrene by matching up the bodyside features to the chassis and bogie features ("... left hand door hinge line just to the right of right hand spring hanger..." that sort of thing), and two large pieces of 15 thou clear styrene (Evergreen) were stuck to the GUV sides. At least the windows won't push in on this !
IMG_0725.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

The Tri-ang BR Mk1 roof might not be exactly the right profile but it stands sufficiently above the end doors to look something like:
IMG_0743.JPG
The white 20 thou sides were stuck to the clear styrene with double-sided sticky tape, time will tell whether this was a good idea or not but the intention was to avoid solvent buckling the outer surface. probably overkill with 20 thou.

The chassis was built up from Evergreen sheet, 0.7mm brass wire, fret waste and K&S strip for the footboards. Brake cylinders are Parkside I think, battery boxes and dynamo are Coopercraft.
IMG_0801.JPG

Hinges, gutters, rainstrips, chalking panels etc are from microstrip and 10 thou sheet. The window bars were soldered up from wire and more fret waste.
IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG
The windows are actually a little deep. the bottom edges have since been filled in by 2mm - such is the joy of working without drawings !

Simon

Flying Squad
A cracking effort, creative re-use of bits plus a dash of scratch building and you have a great looking and pleasingly different parcels vehicle:thumbs:

I must get back to making some stuff...

Simon

stuartp

Thanks for the kind words gents. I meant to include some prototype notes in the opening diatribe, I've edited the first post to include them.

I've filled in the bottoms of the windows and added the droplight frames from microstrip:

IMG_0845.JPG
The red thing on the bottom of the right-hand door is an attempt to produce louvres by adding short lengths of 10 thou rod to the door and trimming to length once set. Getting all six somewhere near identical was fun. I've just realised that having raised the bottom edge of the door windows I need to raise the chalking panels to match - their lower edges should be just above the bottom of the door lights.

Nice one!

Did the prototype survive long enough for it to be finished in BLUE...?

'Fraid not. Larkin states "... some may have seen maroon livery but none lasted long enough to recieve rail blue." Mind you, he also reckons the other type was a GUV despite Gambles pic showing it to be a PMV and describes them as being withdrawn in the mid-60s despite his photo being dated 1969 so who knows ? (Someone will !).

stuartp

Thanks Rob. Nothing as technical as sanding and filing, just bent styrene ! If you look at the fourth pic down, the 15 thou glazing is sandwiched between the Lima side and the white 20 thou overlay; the glazing only covers the top 3/4 of the side, the overlay is then simply bent in at the bottom and stuck to the bottom edge with solvent. The overlay was pre-curved along the bottom edge by resting it in a bit of angle and running the blunt end of an X-acto handle along it.

stuartp

The Ratio bogies are about the right size and shape, but there are detail differences between the LNWR and GER bogies. (Actually there are probably some fundamental differences but I'm only going by what I can see in the photos). Briefly, it needs a bottom flange (microstrip) , coil sprung bolster thingummyjigs underneath (20 though rod wrapped round 60 thou rod with a bolster from more 40 thou), spring hangers hanging down below the frame (slices of 60 thou and 0.33 wire) and tie-rods from more 0.33 wire:
IMG_0864[1].jpg

It also needs axlebox covers but I forgot before I took the photo. With the chalking panels moved up a bit and the bogies tarted up it now looks like this:

IMG_0859[1].jpg

Ready for painting now, which is good because it should have been off the bench a fortnight ago and it's beginning to get on my nerves !

Western Thunderer
Hi Stuart,

Nice bit of scratchbuilding Pal :thumbs:

Can i just ask, Where are you sourcing your transfers from ?.

Steve :cool:

stuartp

Thanks :). The transfers are the easy bit - Cambridge Custom Transfers do the CCT(E) and the PMV on Sheet C64 "Horseboxes and Other NPCS". This one will be E71067E, the PMV on the sheet is E6020E.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Thanks :). The transfers are the easy bit - Cambridge Custom Transfers do the CCT(E) and the PMV on Sheet C64 "Horseboxes and Other NPCS". This one will be E71067E, the PMV on the sheet is E6020E.
Hi Stuart.

Is there any chance of posting a pic of this sheet. I need to find out whether the transfers are in white for blue vehicles or are they the straw coloured numbers/lettering for the maroon vehicles.?

Rob:)

stuartp

Hi Rob, they're in straw/yellow for maroon vehicles (I think the whole sheet is), most of the range is aimed at pre-blue era. John Isherwood at CCT prints to order on an ALPS printer - if you drop him an email he'll know better than I whether he can do the sheet in white.

AJC

Western Thunderer
CCT are very definitely the pre-blue era, actually, pre-'64 boxed lettering come to that. If he did print a sheet in white rather than yellow, it'd still be Gil-Sans rather than Rail Alphabet and in O this would be rather obvious, wouldn't it?

Adam

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob,

you might do better at Precission (John Peck) although he has family health problems at present.

cheers

Mike

stuartp

Painting and transfers done:

IMG_0869.JPG
The maroon is Rover Damask Red from a Halfords spray can, transfers are by CCT as mentioned. It still needs handbrake wheels, handrails, door handles, a bit of touching up of paint here and there and a couple of other tweaks. Couplings (S&W) and vac pipes can wait until I'm having a S&W fitting session. The transfers still need a bit of Micro-sol on them to lose the edges of the carrier film and it can have a blow over with some satin varnish next time the airbrush is out. I'll give it a very light weathering too but other than that it can stay ex-works as the prototype was.

There's some lettering under the label clip on one of the prototype photos which I can't make out. It's not the expected "LOAD 7 TONS EVENLY DISTRIBUTED" as the words are the wrong shape and that information is on the panel of text under the chalking board. I suppose it could be wheelbase information, these being slightly shorter than the usual 57'.