Re: More members, fewer posts?

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
More members, fewer posts?

We're now up to 105 members, but it seems to me it's been a bit quiet lately, especially on the old workbench threads.  I appreciate some of this may be down to people taking their summer holidays, but it's not summer anymore and the evenings are drawing in.  If you're feeling cold, don't bother lighting a fire or switching the central heating on - turn on the soldering iron instead.  :)

We all know there are numerous JLTRT, MOK, Finney and MMP kits gathering dust out there, so what about it chaps?  (This also applies to the "lurkers" who have registered, but have been too shy to show what they've been up to).  ;)

Regards

Dan 

28ten

Guv'nor

I must admit, I just haven't felt motivated for the last couple of months. I have loads of unfinished projects that need completing, but I havent felt in the mood  :( mind you I have had a couple of other distractions......  ;D but I do want to get D1011 finished for Simons open day bash.....

rjr

Western Thunderer

Its not just here, as a member of a few forums I have found most have been quieter than usual. I have wondered weather people have less disposable income ?? There will always be those to who this isn't an issue but I know if I didn't scratch build on a budget I wouldn't be spending a lot on RTR or kits at the moment.

John

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

I've been doing a bit, just neglecting to take pictures... :-[
Some has gone well (my Ex-Milwaukee "Bandit")... others less so (Class 14... :-\ ) and I'm in the throes of making a new small U.S. outline layout, but I'm keeping that under wraps until close to the Show it's due for.... :-X 8) ;)

Then there's been getting used to the new site..... ;)

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

28ten said:
I must admit, I just haven't felt motivated for the last couple of months. I have loads of unfinished projects that need completing, but I havent felt in the mood  :( mind you I have had a couple of other distractions......  ;D but I do want to get D1011 finished for Simons open day bash.....

Hmmm, you've just reminded me, I was aiming to get "Rifleman" finished this side of Christmas.  :-[  I've drawn up the wiring diagram, so once the evenings get a little cooler, maybe I should switch on my soldering iron too?  ;D

Regards

Dan

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

I'm still doing my thing  ;D. Withercombe's platforms have been surfaced & detailed with edging stones ect, the roads are getting surfaced too  :D. I will be returning to my workbench soon though, with either a 22 & 52 to build  8) or all the buildings for Withercombe ( I haven't  decided which yet ), but first I will be sorting some of the motor bogies on the present fleet (boring but necessary)

Cheers Phill  ;)

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

Dan Randall said:
We all know there are numerous JLTRT, MOK, Finney and MMP kits gathering dust out there, so what about it chaps?  (This also applies to the "lurkers" who have registered, but have been to shy to show what they've been up to).  ;)

Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

sorry, but posting pictures of wood being cut and assembled would not be of interest to many members and until I have broken the back of the layout and done SWMBOs decorating, modelling is out of the picture as it were.

As soon as normal service is resumed - in a couple of weeks time, I'll be starting with the MOK Q1 (sorry it's a repeat - posted on another forum , but I'll build the loco first this time).

regards

Mike 

28ten

Guv'nor

Ressaldar said:
Hi Dan,
until I have broken the back of the layout and done SWMBOs decorating, modelling is out of the picture as it were.

regards

Mike
or the layout has broken your back  ;D

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer

more likely the decorating - some of these 1" brushes can be quite heavy you know - pity I can't get the compressor into the house 8) 8) 8)

regards

Mike

Neil

Western Thunderer

I have a few thoughts on the matter.

At the Garden Railway Show/W&L gala earlier this month the talk circled round to internet forums. Simon observed that forum life across the hobby seemed to be settling down, backing away from the post frenzy of the first years. It's something I'd noticed too and put it down to the faddish or I post because I can stuff dropping away leaving a smaller core of less frivolous stuff remaining. This is probably a good thing, but  I'd not want to hang about somewhere that got too worthy or po-faced.

Reflecting on this I wonder if numbers play a part too. When the number of participants are small, it's easier to establish friendships, to feel that there's a shared purpose. The collaborative projects here are a brilliant example of this. At some stage there's perhaps a critical size where a forum will start to become a bit impersonal. I think Thunder is well on the safe side at the moment and has the added advantage of being targeted at a specific interest which helps with cohesion.

Probably more pertinent than either of the above is that when one signs up to a forum, it's the done thing to introduce oneself. It normally takes the form of raiding the back catalogue of projects and layouts. In the beginning therefore there are lots of photos, words and opinions. This catalogue may have been built up over many years, but once emptied there's only what is being built now to share. Few of us can match the pace and output of RJR, and therefore our rate of contributions slows.

I may of course be wrong.

adrian

Flying Squad

For me it's simply that there's been no progress whatsoever - I've just not been able to get any time at the work bench over the last couple of months. Building a couple of websites takes up virtually all my spare time at the moment, hopefully that will ease up once they're live.

Also having benefitted from the work of others in developing the MERG CBus control system I foolishly offered to help as a payback. So I've been test building a couple of the new kits and right now I'm in the middle of "mass" production of another two new kits, CAN_ACC4 and CAN_ACC5, which are the turnout accessory decoders for driving solenoid motors or motorised units, but photographs of 250 MOSFETs aren't that scintillating to be honest.

Adrian

28ten

Guv'nor

Neil said:

At the Garden Railway Show/W&L gala earlier this month the talk circled round to internet forums. Simon observed that forum life across the hobby seemed to be settling down, backing away from the post frenzy of the first years. It's something I'd noticed too and put it down to the faddish or I post because I can stuff dropping away leaving a smaller core of less frivolous stuff remaining. This is probably a good thing, but  I'd not want to hang about somewhere that got too worthy or po-faced.

Reflecting on this I wonder if numbers play a part too. When the number of participants are small, it's easier to establish friendships, to feel that there's a shared purpose. The collaborative projects here are a brilliant example of this. At some stage there's perhaps a critical size where a forum will start to become a bit impersonal. I think Thunder is well on the safe side at the moment and has the added advantage of being targeted at a specific interest which helps with cohesion.

Probably more pertinent than either of the above is that when one signs up to a forum, it's the done thing to introduce oneself. It normally takes the form of raiding the back catalogue of projects and layouts. In the beginning therefore there are lots of photos, words and opinions. This catalogue may have been built up over many years, but once emptied there's only what is being built now to share. Few of us can match the pace and output of RJR, and therefore our rate of contributions slows.

No I would say you are pretty close to the mark.
Speaking personally, I have been something of a modelling wilderness for the past six to twelve months, which really has not made it a particularity constructive time for me and most of my 'modelling' has been reading books and playing with Templot

adrian said:
Building a couple of websites takes up virtually all my spare time at the moment, hopefully that will ease up once they're live.
Adrian
I cant believe that and no it wont  ;D

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer

Dan Randall said:
  If you're feeling cold, don't bother lighting a fire or switching the central heating on - turn on the soldering iron instead.  :)

Haha.. like it..!! Though if only I had a fire to light.. only ruddy boring central heating here.. How am I meant to practice my firing on the full size kettles if I dont have a fire at home?!

Regarding lack of activity on my workbench, it's a combination, of not having any parts over the last few months, and also some big projects with work which have massively got in the way, but things are definitely picking up now.. L1 is coming along a little faster, and I won some Slaters wagons on eBay the other day, so there's definitely stuff to do now..

Will you be going to the 'Mark S7 bash' Dan?

JB.

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade

Since being sick at the moment after having an operation on my BTM :-[ :-[and having enforced time off work ;D ;D. I have managed to construct a Mk1, construct the LMS BG, and am presently engaged in the painting and lining of the said coaches and the completion of a frieght barake van and 10 16ton minerals.

Ian

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

iploffy said:
Since being sick at the moment after having an operation on my BTM :-[ :-[and having enforced time off work ;D ;D. I have managed to construct a Mk1, construct the LMS BG, and am presently engaged in the painting and lining of the said coaches and the completion of a frieght barake van and 10 16ton minerals.

Ian
Sounds interesting Ian, I think it's time for you to set up a workbench thread  8) ;)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer

Neil said:

Yes I think your about spot on too Neil  ;D ;), altough I think even on larger forums you soon tend to gather friends around you who share your modelling interest & sense of humour (a lot of us got to know each other on the old RMweb this way  ;) )
I fully agree that it would be nice if some of the newer members could raid there back catalogue of projects, this would help us to get to know each other better & find common ground, a lot of us may be unaware  of their older projects too  ;)

Cheers Phill  ;)

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer

adrian said:
... I've been test building a couple of the new kits ... CAN_ACC4 and CAN_ACC5, ... but photographs of 250 MOSFETs aren't that scintillating to be honest.
I dunno... they'd help those of us at the Luddite end of the group know what on earth you're talking about... :eek: ??? :-[ :-[

;D ;D ;D

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer

Scale7JB said:
Haha.. like it..!! Though if only I had a fire to light.. only ruddy boring central heating here.. How am I meant to practice my firing on the full size kettles if I dont have a fire at home?!

Regarding lack of activity on my workbench, it's a combination, of not having any parts over the last few months, and also some big projects with work which have massively got in the way, but things are definitely picking up now.. L1 is coming along a little faster, and I won some Slaters wagons on eBay the other day, so there's definitely stuff to do now..

Will you be going to the 'Mark S7 bash' Dan?

JB.

Glad to hear things are picking up on the modelling front JB.  As for the S7 bash, I've just checked my diary and discovered that we have relatives visiting us on that day.  :-[

Mind you, having seen how far away it is from where I live (approx 91 miles), I probably wouldn't have gone anyway.  It's even further for you!

Regards

Dan