7mm Ressaldar's Paintshop - BG to non-common user NCX

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Recently, I had the opportunity to obtain an untouched Bachmann BG and having scoured my reference books and t'net, I came decided to do 95211 - an NCX conversion from a standard BG, albeit with Commonwealth bogies, but moreover because I found two photographs of it, one from each end, showing a Non-Common User badge plus a third photo of it, badge fitted and way out of its restricted use.

Changes made/observed included periscopes removed from roof, three upper end steps removed and holes fitted with bolts, roof handrail cut back and new support end fitted, bottom 'step' at one end removed and small socket fitted above buffer beam and other end step (dynamo end) 'reversed', ETH fitted and air brake pipes and vacuum brake pipe fitted. The Guards area was removed on the prototype, but I decided to leave the as fitted partitions in just to give some support to the sides and the 23 roof cover strips were fitted. Checking the photos again, shows that the word Guard was in fact applied to the centre doors, so this will be added. The as fitted 3 link chain couplings were desoldered and replaced by the screw variety.
IMG_4509.JPG
The chassis and bogies were sprayed with Halford's Satin Black and the roof with Grey 02 from the local motor spares shop

IMG_4506.JPG
ETH fittings are from JLTRT as was the Rail Blue paint, the transfers by John Peck at Precision Labels
IMG_4508.JPG
Enamel Frame Dirt from Railmatch was airbrushed over the chassis and roof, with deliberate 'over spray' on some of the lower body panel sides.

IMG_4510.JPG

weathering enamels from Hobby Holidays were then applied to oily/greasy areas on the bogies and chassis parts. The label clips came from spare solebars from the odds & sods box. The original door 'handles' were replaced with turned T handles.

Just a bit of rust to apply to the connector faces once a smear of epoxy is applied to give the impression of grease

Next in line is the ex LMS D2046 Inspection Saloon in EWS livery

cheers

Mike

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Warren,

many thanks for the comment, much appreciated. It made it easier by not having any lining to do.:thumbs:;)

cheers
Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
The Brassworks carriages really do come up well, don't they? My godfather has a couple of the Collet carriages and like yours, Mike, they come up very well under a sensitive hand.
Makes me realise what superb value for money they are/were.
Steph

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

yes very good value, a great pity that Heljan made a pigs ear of their efforts of the Mk1s, but hopefully, their GUVs should be ok - they do have flat sides:)):thumbs:

cheers

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
That's a really nice model Mike:cool:......I'm a big fan of these Bachmann Brass MK1's (I have two so far) :thumbs:

Like you say, with a little extra detail the look great:thumbs:
yes very good value, a great pity that Heljan made a pigs ear of their efforts of the Mk1s.

cheers

Mike

I'm not impressed with the Heljan's either........what a lost opportunity that was:(

Phill:)

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
The Brassworks carriages really do come up well, don't they? My godfather has a couple of the Collet carriages and like yours, Mike, they come up very well under a sensitive hand.
Makes me realise what superb value for money they are/were.
Steph
I have about 20 of the Tower collets here to finish, they are an excellent model and look fantastic in carmine and cream although most I do are chock and cream
That's a really nice model Mike:cool:......I'm a big fan of these Bachmann Brass MK1's (I have two so far) :thumbs:

Like you sat with a little extra detail the look great:thumbs:

I'm not impressed with the Heljan's either........what a lost opportunity that was:(

Phill:)
the paintwork on the heljan sis truly awfull

adrian

Flying Squad
A really nice job there - that last photo close up on the bogie has a great presence. There's something about the lighting/shadows and the weathering that gives it a real depth.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Adrian,

many thanks for your comments, they are certainly more encouraging than my old Headmaster - 'could do better' comments on my reports;) and glad that I'm able to get my thoughts and ideas on how to achieve an acceptable end result on the model.

regards

Mike

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mile

It looks great, but there is one thing I hate and that is the oversized ETH connecting wire that JLTRT supply, you can get thinner rubber as MMP supply that, but personally I prefer tus a piece of 0,7mm copper wire.

Richard

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
Hi Steph,

hopefully, their GUVs should be ok - they do have flat sides:)):thumbs:

cheers

Mike

The Heljan GUV body is very flat! The "kick under" below the body side is so shallow, the steps can only be about 1mm proud of it on the one bodyshell I've handled..I'm happy with my resin Westdale one!
Jon F.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the comment. I tend to agree with you regarding the 'cable', I will be experimenting the EWS Inspection Saloon by replacing the cast spigots with 0.7 wire and then use 'shrink wrap' tube.

cheers

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
The Heljan GUV body is very flat! The "kick under" below the body side is so shallow, the steps can only be about 1mm proud of it on the one bodyshell I've handled..I'm happy with my resin Westdale one!
Jon F.

Me too & you can probably buy three Westdales for the price of one Heljan:)

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
Me too & you can probably buy three Westdales for the price of one Heljan:)
Agreed! I thought the price seemed steep until I realised it was Tower's price and was shocked to see the Heljan price was £75 more!! £325 for what is in effect a bogie wagon with no interior:confused:
JF

tomstaf

Western Thunderer
The bogie weathering is very convincing Mike. The colours and splatters make it look simply spot on!

Cheers

Tom