7mm Road Vehicles

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I dare you to spend another 8 minutes on this Ford Thames Van advert then! I recently met the daughter of the double base player :D An appreciation of jazz would be beneficial....

I hope that poor cat was deaf, or tranquillised! And amazed to see Kevin Brownlow's name among the credits...

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
As I lurk on the Other Place, this resource of 1/48th and 1/50th scale lorry bits came up. The discussion was about transfers, which Kingfisher seem to do in abundance - albeit a tad under scale for 1/43rd. You'll have to download and scour through their PDF catalogue, but there are some gems in there.

http://www.kingfishermodels.co.uk

As well as the transfers, it may be worth checking out their ranges of detail bits like headlamps, towing hitches and whatnot.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
One big hinderance to improving die-cast and making vehicles from scratch is availability of a good commerical truck tyre / wheel assembly - say 10.50 x 20, which would have been the standard heavy truck tyre of the 40s 50s and 60s.

The possibility of bringing them alive with r/c makes me think a rubber tyre would be essential.

Some folk in the 1/32 and larger fields are now using 3D printing to get masters made to enable production of silicone rubber moulds for batches.

Some questions:

1) Are any suitable 1/43 wheels/tyres currently available? ABS must have access to the nice whitemetal castings used in CC kits, and has anyone checked to see if Shapeways or similar offer 3D printed wheels? (I had a quick look on Shapeways but it is easy to miss stuff in searches)

1) Can these silicone moulds be used for casting rubber?

2) If I can organise a 3D print master, is anyone out there interested in doing some production runs of suitable assemblies - either one piece resin, or rubber tyre with 'other material' wheel centres?

I only ask because if it has already been done then there's no point in reinventing the wheel :rolleyes:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
1) Are any suitable 1/43 wheels/tyres currently available?

Langley has a small range of whitemetal wheels (hub and tyre) that matches their 1/43rd scale lorries. Obviously, ABS has the wheels with the CC range. I have a feeling there are some suitable castings in what is now the Blackberry Way (Blackberry Lane?) range.

Perhaps Adrian can be leant on to consider providing the wheels separately from the kits. That's something Bob Barlow wouldn't do, because I asked him.

The issue, I think, is there's no real market for this stuff. Out of all the 7mm modellers out there, those of us who really care about the stuff outside the railway boundary are pretty rare. :(

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I guess this is primarily for Adrian Swain – Heather has written an article for the next S7G Newsletter on building a CC kit of the AEC and I was hoping to add a sentence on the end about current availability. Any News?

Richard

Colin M

Western Thunderer
A quick update on the Yellow chip lorry build...

What I thought would be a quick interlude to stop me getting too bored with building baseboards has quickly snow-balled into a more complex build. (Sorry for poor focus snaps. Note to self - Must practice macro photography! :( ).

The kit came with a horrible four spoke steering wheel. I figured I could make something better, so a few scraps of plasticard and much whittling later...

009 (2) e.jpg010 (2) e.jpg

cabinterior2e.jpg

After straightening out the resin pannels, the rear cabin fits together nicely, but needed a bit of modification.

I've added a door for the propane bottle compartment. The front windows were amended from two openings to three. I personally don't recall these vehicles ever having a large translucent panel in the roof, and I can't find any photos of it, so I've filled it in and changed the ventilation arrangements.

This is the main bits mocked together:

006 (5) e.jpg
007 (5) e.jpg
008 (3) e.jpg

It's too cold for painting. My spray shop is in my shed in my garden, so progress is slowed for now. I'm getting on with the chassis details.

One step forward, one back! ...I spent quite a bit of time building the interior seating/kitchen area for rear cabin. I made everything to match with the seat pre-moulded to the front body panel. Only when I'd painted it and tried a mock assembly did it suddenly dawn on me... the moulded seat is much too small. Everything looks out of scale.:rant::headbang: Start over again..!

Something Heather said in her Mk2's thread about "details that nobody ever sees" struck a chord with me. I can't imagine many peeps will notice this Baby Belling when it's inside a vehicle on a 20' layout! But I'll know it's there

BabyBelling e.jpg

More to follow soon..

Hiopefully the next installment will have some yellow painted body panels!

Colin

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
As I lurk on the Other Place, this resource of 1/48th and 1/50th scale lorry bits came up. The discussion was about transfers, which Kingfisher seem to do in abundance - albeit a tad under scale for 1/43rd. You'll have to download and scour through their PDF catalogue, but there are some gems in there.

http://www.kingfishermodels.co.uk

As well as the transfers, it may be worth checking out their ranges of detail bits like headlamps, towing hitches and whatnot.
Great find Heather. Already seen some bits I will order.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
They're resin with ABS chassis, and I had one of each for Heyside. Excellent models, but they do need toning down a wee bit!

Richard

Jon Fitness

Western Thunderer
Anyone noticed there's no decent 7mm bus kits available?
I've been struggling on and off with this beast for a couple of years.
P1030117.JPGP1020708.JPGP1020707.JPG
Every time I do a bit on it I think I would have been better scratchbuilding one but having bought it I'll finish it one day.
I got it from Mercian Models and it's designed to be a "Birmingham Standard" Met-Cam bodied Guy Arab. I decided it would be convertable to a Salford Daimler with a bit of widening and shortening to make an 8ft X 26ft vehicle.
Needless to say it's fighting me all the way.....
Jon F.

Attachments

• P1030894.JPG
    P1030894.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P1040882.JPG
    P1040882.JPG
    256.2 KB · Views: 42
  • P1030106.JPG
    P1030106.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030107.JPG
    P1030107.JPG
    317 KB · Views: 41
  • P1030159.JPG
    P1030159.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 40

Colin M

Western Thunderer
Anyone noticed there's no decent 7mm bus kits available?
Jon F.

It's looking good. Keep going; time spent will be repaid in the end! :thumbs: The etches look like they are good quality too.

I've never found any decent bus kits available for the 70's & 80's era in 7mm. :(

I'm really keen for someone to bring out a decent Mk1 Leyland National bus kit. I'm sure there must be a market? I would buy three: one to stand waiting at my level crossing, and two more to convert into the LEV1 Railbus. Although I can't find any evidence of it ever making it to Kings Lynn, (my layout location), it definatley spent time around other Anglia branches from Cambridge. I would readily extend a bit of modellers licence, as it's always been on my wish list to build it. (I'm even considering biting the bullet and doing LEV1 in 4mm). Hmmn?...maybe one day I'll scratch build it in 7mm?:rolleyes:

Colin.

daifly

Western Thunderer