7mm Rob Pulham's Work Bench - Back (again) to the LNER 06 (MOK 8F)

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
So.........you photograph it and write down what is said?

I'm sure I'd not be the only person to be grateful...

Hi Jeff, My good lady did it over a couple of months due to her illness. Next time she does one I will try to record what she does and them write it up on here.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer

Besides that this is a list of what is left to do:
Re fit the brakes
Fit front bogie
secure tender pickup wire - ditto loco pick up wire
Fit Cylinder covers - prepared ready to add
Fit Buffers - Blackened ready for fitting.
Fit the valve rocker sub assembly - this might be a challenge to solder as it needs to be soldered between two narrow white metal flanges.
Finish backhead and fit - just working on this now
Glaze the cab
Fit Seats - soldered up ready for gluing in after painting.
Fit crew - Arms soldered on and painted ready for fitting
finish painting and add plates.- Plates cleaned up ready for painting

Shock horror the A3 is nearly finished. I have been beavering away while waiting for the drawing for the F8 (which finally arrived this morning).

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
As I mentioned above I have been quietly working away at the outstanding items on the A3 and one of the last major (possibly not to some:cool:) items was the backhead. Why I say major is that what you see below is the result of more than 12 hours very enjoyable modelling.

All the pipes that go into the fittings that were cast on the backhead are soldered with 100 degree solder.

A3001_zpsd66dbcf7.jpg

A3002_zps550a8f44.jpg

The hose that is on the right hand side is a scratch built replacement for this - it was made from soft brass beading wire wrapped around with very fine beading wire which is then soldered in place (why it looks silver grey). The tap fitting is a Connoisseur clack valve cross drilled to take a cast hand wheel that I had in the scrap box.
A3003_zpsd409fc2b.jpg

I would like to paint the surrounds of the dials in brass but I am not sure that my hand is steady enough but I may have a go at masking it.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Nicely done Rob, I do like a bit of upgrade-itus :thumbs:

In terms of painting the dial surrounds, could you not just dry brush them to get a hint of the right colour - I find that to be a bit easier to control than creating a hard defined edge - I'm sure the eye will fill in the rest, particularly when looking through the cab windows. When do we get to see it all together? :)
Steve

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
One step forward, and then several back.....

I bit the bullet and painted the dials last night. It all worked out fine and I didn't make a mess of anything else. Then I hit the snag - there doesn't seem to be any way to get the backhead into the cab without taking the roof off (nicely soldered on of course). I may be able to get it in if I take the cab doors off but if I can't then it would be quite a job to get them back on securely again.

Having thought about it overnight I can see a few advantages in making the cab roof removable but it will no doubt kill the paint job so I am probably better starting by stripping the paint.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
:( Don't know what else to say really Rob.
I'd be trying the cab door route first - if it doesn't work and you end up removing roof and paint then maybe the extra access will let you get the cab doors securely fixed again. If it does work, getting the cab doors on again has got to be easier than stripping and repainting.
Good luck, but sleep on it again...
Steve

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Steve,:thumbs:

I have already taken the plunge and put in to strip the paint - I had started to line one side and I wasn't really happy with and not much that I could do to alter it as it was done some time ago. Once the paint is stripped I may also have a go at making the cab doors swing as opposed to being fixed.

It's more work but in the long run I think that the benefits make it worthwhile.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Something I have had to do on more than one occasion is to remove a little from the bottom of the backhead, pipes 'n all. It depends on how much room you need to create.

Richard

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Richard,

I may need to do that as well, depending on whether the roof will sit down properly once it get it in. Getting it in isn't helped by the backhead having a pronounced slope and the roof having a stiffening rib which inhibits wiggling it past the doors.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I decided to take the cab back out of the paint stripper - I have been checking it and to be honest I could have taken it out some time ago but I was distracted by coaches.

First let me share with you what I used to strip it - Cheapo local Coop Dettol substitute. I got the idea from fellow Guild member George T, I would have used proper Dettol like George does but when I went they only had their own brand. In the end it too worked fine, nice smell, easy on your hands win/win with the household authorities!

IMG_5493683x1024_zpsa84201e0.jpg

So here are a few shots of the state of play now that I have taken the roof off.

IMG_54941024x951_zpsbf0fe433.jpg

IMG_54951024x651_zps3b2c3d4b.jpg

IMG_54961024x874_zps8f5f838b.jpg

IMG_54971024x918_zps3a03446d.jpg

The cast roof vent came out and one of the round castings in the cab side came adrift too so I will need to remove the false floor which shouldn't present too many problems. Now having seen the detail that Nick has added to the princesses cabs I am on the lookout for cab detail before I put it all back together.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
As a bit of a break from construction I have had a couple of days doing some painting.

Just after the new year I went along to Warren Haywood's house (Warren is another resident of Wakefield). Warren had kindly offered to give me some hints and tips on painting and lining (for those of you who don't know Warren's work, Warren is a professional model painter who paints for among others Tower Models and Finescale Brass).

When we arranged it Warren suggested that I take along my bow pens, bow compasses etc. so that he could try them out and suggest which may need attention (or throwing away :lol:). I also took along the tender for the A3 working on the theory that if I needed something to practice on that could be it.

Once he had tested my pens etc. Warren kindly suggested that he line the red and white of one side of the tender to give me something to work to when I started myself - As you might imagine I jumped at the opportunity.

Yesterday I had a go at the other side.

A3Tenderlining_zps78a4a617.jpg

I am sure that you can work out that the top image is Warrens fine work, while that below is mine. My mlines are not quite as fine as Warrens in places but that said I am quite pleased with the result, and as someone else once remarked - you cant see both sides at once :D