Rob's 3D Drawing workbench

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Sorry Mark, I missed this when you posted it back in January. I love it. You may have seen elsewhere that I did a few modifications to it to make it more rigid but it's does everything that I want from it
Hi Rob,
No problem, I watched your lathe modifications with interest, you never know!
Mark

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I haven't had much time for physical modelling this week so I have spend what time I have had doing a bit more drawing in Fusion.

These are an assortment of parts for the D2 test build when I get to it.

LNER D2 front Sandbox.PNG
LNER D2 front Sandbox 2.PNG
LNER D2 front Sandbox 1.PNG

Front Sandbox, most of it will be hidden behind the front steps but some of it is visible.

Brake shoes, to take away the risk of shorts.

LNER D2 Brake Shoe 1.png
LNER D2 Brake Shoe 2.png

Finally for now, is the reverser for the cab

7mm Scale LNER D2 Reverser Finished.png
7mm Scale LNER D2 Reverser Finished 2.png

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I couldn't resist another embellishment to the reverser.

52202490961_20e63f17ea_b.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
And I am most impressed with your 3D drawing skills, I am stopped at 2D drawing this time around.

Michael
You are one up on me then Michael, I can do very basic drawings with Inkscape but I have never really mastered or even become mildly competent with a proper 2D CAD program.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Over on one of the other forums, I was asked for help in the form of how to go about drawing up an NSR lamp post

On the basis of the drawing I had a few ideas of who I might go about it and once I had it cracked I was asked for an explanation of how I had gone about it. I thought I would share it wider as it might help someone at some point. You will have to excuse some of the wording that relates to answering the initial question. I haven't the time at the moment to go through and re write it.

This was the drawing attached to the request for help.

North Staffs Platform Lamp Drawing.jpeg

First, I downloaded Andy's drawing and imported it into Fusion on the front plane. Then as I said previously but repeated here for completeness. Because the drawing had no dimensions, I best guessed that the main part of the post would be around 10 feet tall - I was way out as it's only around 6ft when taken right to the ground!

However, using the 10ft as the basis, I created myself a User Parameter of 1ft/7mm which allowed me to quickly scale the drawing to 7mm to the foot.

Next, I drew a profile of the lamp base and revolved it.

Then I worked out the middle of the column height wise and created an offset plane.

52278557099_bb0c4ce73b.jpg

Then, I created a sketch on that offset plane and drew the shape for my cut out

I only drew one of the shapes then used the 'create circular pattern' tool to create the other five. As it turned out, initially I had the outer circle slightly under the column sized so when I extruded as a cut it was actually inside the body.

I then, extruded using the symmetrical function and cut command so I was going both up and down to get the cut outs in place all around the column.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Next, I drew a couple of upright lines on the first sketch to determine the width of the base of the fluted section. Which was 8mm on my overscale drawing. Then I created another offset plane this time at the top of the column/base of the fluted section.

Then, I created a sketch on that plane and drew a circle 8mm in diameter, on the edge of that circle I drew another circle 0.6mm in diameter. Using these as a best guess for the size of the flute. I then used the circular pattern tool to create circle all around the inner circle. this ended up being 42.

Then on the first sketch I drew the profile of the flute.

I extruded this again symmetrically 0.3mm either way, to give me the 0.6mm thickness that I had determined (best guess!!!) was the flute size. Then I filleted the front edges to give me the round flute

Lastly, I used the circular pattern tool again to create the circle of 42.

I even managed to get the render tool to work this morning last night I think that my machine was doing an update in the background and it was running like a dog.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
because it's meant to represent something that has been cast I went round and softened some of the edges using the fillet tool

52280532459_9b61cbd28c_b.jpg

52280316048_ec5cf396fd_b.jpg
Rob,
Looks good. Interesting the NSR chose an Egyptian inspired lamp post, but why not. Without seeing a photo I am not certain but I think the recesses in the lower part of the post might be too deep. The inner moulding in the recess also looks a bit big and should return across the top and bottom of the recess like a picture frame.

Certainly easier to draw in 3D and print than trying to machine or carve a lamp post like this.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob,
Looks good. Interesting the NSR chose an Egyptian inspired lamp post, but why not. Without seeing a photo I am not certain but I think the recesses in the lower part of the post might be too deep. The inner moulding in the recess also looks a bit big and should return across the top and bottom of the recess like a picture frame.

Certainly easier to draw in 3D and print than trying to machine or carve a lamp post like this.
Hi Fraser,

I only had a drawing to work of so it may well be too deep, it is exaggerated by the magnified images, the inner moulding is only 0.3mm x 0.3mm
I agree that the inset should go all around, I just haven't worked out how to do the top and bottom yet. While typing this, an idea of how to do it has occurred so thank you.

7mm scale NSR Lamp Post -6.PNG

I have also filleted all the edges to take of the sharpness which has made it look a little less deep (to my eyes at least).

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
A fellow Guild member asked a question on the Gog Forum about rainwater goods and how easy they would be to print.

This piqued my interest and I knocked this up in about 40 minutes last night. It would have been quicker but my broadband was playing up and Fusion crashed a couple of times before I was able to save it.

It's drawn from a photo taken and posted by the Gent who asked the question, so I had no real dimensions to work from. I guesstimated at a scale 1ft x 1ft x 2ft wide with a 3" outlet.

52342592451_08eb3b7937_b.jpg

52343023745_a1a91595ef_b.jpg

52342592521_0965f41d9d_b.jpg