4mm RSR

R

RichardS

Pictures requested - here's one. It's a piece of wood, gripped in a workmate while I try to make it round and even. It's not easy. (actually it's two pieces - a cunning ploy to get at least 2 the same)
curved board 3.JPG
(Apologies for the odd image. Think there's a little problem with new camera to be sorted out here.
It's not the first unexpected result I've had.....)

This is one quarter of the end boards for my new model railway, RSR .I think I will have 4 tracks running around here, inside track radius about 36" outside about 42".

RSR is intended to be modular, so not only will the 4 curves make a circle, they'll also be the ends of a variable length oval. (I can erect the circle in my 'Railway Parlour' whereas an oval will not fit.) One side of the oval will be storage lines while the other will be a 'stage set.' The latter will be changeable as required, even mid way through an exhibition perhaps. All that will be needed is another set of 'set' boards.

Because, I want these boards to last, I have had some hardwood machined to create a moulding to make the ends of the curves that will butt against each other. This means that the joins between boards will not be ply to ply but accurately aligned hardwood edges.

The track at each join will cross it at 90 degrees. . While this will mean there is a short length of straight at the four compass points it does man that should I need to replace any track as it is straight this should be easier than trying to align a replacement curve across the join. (remember I said the radii were 'about' measurements. I am going to try allowing the track to find it's own place between two points which should produce a gently curving line which will include a gradual tightening of the radii. I might even try super elevating the lines.

As it is modular I shall make a 'jig' for the board alignment pegs, fixings and the positions of the track ends. I want this to be a completely interchangeable arrangement. It also means that others with modules built to the same 'standards' could fit in. We shall see.

Any observations, comments, welcome.
Kindest
RichardS

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Nice approach to growing a layout. You could even add "set" boards at all four corners of the globe and with your "standards" go for world domination, that might fail dependent upon how many WTers are awake at the time you set off.

The photo suggests that you are using veneer covered chipboard for the track surface. How will you support / brace the inner and outer edges of the board without introducing any potential for the supports to twist?

regards, Graham

R

RichardS

Last time I had a photo come out looking anything like that, the film hadn't advanced properly in the camera :D .... boy that makes me feel old..!!! :rolleyes: :oops:

But this is a digital camera. Which is rather puzzeling. :)

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
But this is a digital camera. Which is rather puzzeling. :)

I'd try formatting the card afresh in the camera. If it still happens, get a new card.

As a matter best practice I do not erase files from or format CF or SD cards using my computer. All card activities, such as erasing and formatting are done in the camera that card is used with. The reason for this is invisible files are written by many computer operating systems which can confuse a camera when it tries to write to a card and finds an unexpected file there. By handling all card activities in the camera, aside from sticking the card in the PC and downloading files, problem can be avoided.

R

RichardS

Nice approach to growing a layout. You could even add "set" boards at all four corners of the globe and with your "standards" go for world domination, that might fail dependent upon how many WTers are awake at the time you set off.

The photo suggests that you are using veneer covered chipboard for the track surface. How will you support / brace the inner and outer edges of the board without introducing any potential for the supports to twist?

regards, Graham

Oops mail was a bit long - sorry - sent me to........ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....oh er, writing it! :)

Supports, well firstly as it is 18mm nominally I hope the ply will not twist. I have considered using a skirting of say 3mm ply around the edges which would be both decorative and as it would be perpendicular to the base should resist the twisting. (issue would 3mm be sufficiently strong?).

For the actual supports I have considered trestles but as the width is only 250 mm these would be a bit spindly. So I plan to use 'wooden clothes' horses.' I don't claim any originality as these have been used in this way on Meopham East Junction by John Wass. Essentially, the clothes' horse is opened out to 45 degrees and provide 2 supports for each board when it is laid across the top. Well that's the theory.

I'm making the horses 1.2m high which means the boards will be a few centimetres below this. Then the 'set boards' van be positioned at any height although the trackbed will be constant, allowing a viaduct or embankment to be easily and included.

One point I didn't mention was that by using 16.5mm gauge, I can theoretically model a variety of styles if the mood takes me - OO, HO, O16.5, or ON30 - but I shall major on OO to begin with.

Still awake? No? :)
Thanks for comments etc.
RichardS

R

RichardS

I'd try formatting the card afresh in the camera. If it still happens, get a new card.

As a matter best practice.......,,,,,,,,,,downloading files, problem can be avoided.

Thanks Heather, it is a relatively new card and I do only format in the camera. Its a new San Disk Ultra 16GB class 10 - so should be a good card.

The other oddities have been, blank images (just black) and, most strange of all not recording anything at all. After this last episode when everything disappeared - the photo numbers on those appearing in both the file managers in Linux Mint 11 and Win8 Pro showed a gap of say 20 numbers.

So I downloaded an image recovery utility and ran this against the card, it recovered all the deleted images but the last of these was huge - I stopped the recovery when it reached 4.2 Gb. Normal pics are say 5-8Mb. The 4Gb was clearly not right. And I wondered whether for some reason the new pics had all been written into one file - but 4Gb was far too big.

I got two 16Gb cards in the pack so will try the other, it might be a faulty card. My feeling is that it is not the camera.
We shall see.

Regards
RichardS