4mm Ruabon Junction

Pip Davey

In the absence of another 4mm thread, I have posted these two new goodies here. They are intended for the new 4mm/OO version of the layout I attempted and failed to build in 7mm scale during the latter part of 2020. The OO layout that will start to take shape in a few weeks time, but in the meantime, some preparation is taking place to keep the flame burning ha ha.

Thanks to the generosity of a good friend, a couple of locos that are surplus to his requirement's have just arrived here. Both fill a long time desire to have a tiny Hawksworth 16xx PT and a later built 43xx. The early 43xx's had an elongated middle splasher and a plate support between the boiler and slidebars, but I much prefer the later normal splasher and lower support as on later batches....
View attachment 138657
View attachment 138656 View attachment 138658

The 16xx's have long been favorite's of mine ever since I saw them working goods trains on the GCR Wrexham-Bidston 'top-line' circa 1963...
View attachment 138655

I watched with envy Captain Kernow's kit-built 16xx take shape and so was delighted to learn of Rapido's rtr model. The NEM sockets are further forward due to the chassis design, but I will be fitting Kadee's anyway, so problem solved...
View attachment 138659
I can add that both locos are perfectly smooth runners with no lateral oscillation or rocking, and both run ultra slowly even on DC. The 2-6-0 is DCC fitted but I have yet to test that.

Like you I always thought that 16xx were small - I've just found out that in fact they are dimensionally near identical to 57xx, the difference being a smaller boiler than even the 64xx and 9" inch shorter wheelbase on 6"smaller wheels. I found this while eying up a cabless Bachman 8750 and a loco-less 14xx cab, it's murder clearing the tank top of the boiler hump and feed pipes.
Cheers, Pip.