Scale7 JB Workbench.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Scale7JB said:
Ahhh, yes sorry guys, maybe it was a flying pig that I remember reading about in Terry Essery's book.. Appologies..

Are you near Highley then Richard ? I must admit, I did think about who I could invade on my journey out west, but it was all such a last minute thing that I didn't get the chance to see who was about.. A real shame as I would still love to see the layout !!

JB.

Hi JB

I am fairly near Highley, and you would have seen my house en route from Llandrindod Wells! I'll pm you my address if you happen to be up this way again.

Jordan - if you have a full-line rover ticket on the SVR, there is no further charge to get in the Engine House. I thought it was a very good experience, well set out, and on good days, you can sit on the balcony, have lunch and watch the trains go by. You can on bad days too, it's just cold and wet :D I came back with a whole stack of Jinty and 80000 photos.

Richard

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Popped down to Sudbury today so that I could use the pillar drill to sort the tube plate.

Please excuse the misplaced hole in the bottom half... I'm annoyed about it too..!  :headbang: I might be able to fill it somehow perhaps...

Attachments

• L1Tubeplate1.jpg
    L1Tubeplate1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 100
  • L1Tubeplate2.jpg
    L1Tubeplate2.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 101
  • L1Tubeplate3.jpg
    L1Tubeplate3.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 100
  • L1Tubeplate4.jpg
    L1Tubeplate4.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 99
  • L1Tubeplate5.jpg
    L1Tubeplate5.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 98

28ten

Guv'nor
:shock: :shock: :scratch:
the easy way to set out all those holes is to use a GW riveting tool to make the centre impressions, then file the 'rivets' off leaving a small pilot hole, makes drilling a lot easier :D

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Yes, I must admit, I had thought that the GW riveter would have been fantastic there, but maybe I'll get one for the next build... Once it has been sprayed, and the steam header, steam pipes and blastpipe are in, it shouldn't show too much... hopefully... !!

JB.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
:shock: :shock: :scratch:
the easy way to set out all those holes is to use a GW riveting tool to make the centre impressions, then file the 'rivets' off leaving a small pilot hole, makes drilling a lot easier :D

Easier still, is to draw the tubeplate with a CAD package and get it etched. :)

Nice work though JB - keep it up. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dan, trying to keep up the momentum... Just need the main steam pipes in the smokebox now... Oh and a door might be handy...

Anyone know who might have a decent range of brass (or WM) smokebox doors ?

JB.

Attachments

• L1smokeboxrivet2.jpg
    L1smokeboxrivet2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 49
  • L1Blastpipe1.jpg
    L1Blastpipe1.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 49
  • L1Blastpipe2.jpg
    L1Blastpipe2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 48
  • L1Blastpipe3.jpg
    L1Blastpipe3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 49
  • L1Blastpipe4.jpg
    L1Blastpipe4.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 48
  • L1superheat1.jpg
    L1superheat1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 52
  • L1superheat2.jpg
    L1superheat2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 50
  • L1superheat3.jpg
    L1superheat3.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 53

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Last one for tonight (this morning ??  :eek: )... Definitely a case of i'll have to remember what is there rather than anyone actually being able to see in the intricate superheater elements that i've spent a fair while doing.....  :headbang:

Once the steampipes are in, you never know, that might be the last bit of scratchbuilding for a while... It is a kit after all !!

JB.

Attachments

• L1superheatsmokebox.jpg
    L1superheatsmokebox.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 46

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Thanks everybody... :thumbs: My fingers don't half hurt again this morning! :laugh:

I think it'll look even more effective when there is a fine weathering of mist washed over the whole interior...

28ten said:
I trust the smokebox door will open?

Oh yes, definitely an opening door, but I'm wondering wether to have a door that opens via a working screw on the smokebox door levers (very fiddly)... or to have a servo that will open the door via a button press on the DCC keypad.. Any thoughts?

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Dikitriki said:
The silly so and so's gone and raised the bar again :D

Lovely.

Richard

I have to admit, I'm not the first in our group to do it... Colin Dowling has just scratchbuilt an E4 for a client, and that too has a full (and totally accurate) smokebox interior as he popped down to see the preserved E4 for pictures and measurements... So it is he, not I that raises ones bar :laugh: :laugh:

My engine died in the very early 60's, the excuse I'm sticking too for slight innacuracy, but the tubeplate does have the correct number of superheater tubes and elements !! ;)

I'm just hoping that the speaker in the boiler won't get damaged by the short superheater elements that are in there..

JB.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
It has to be a working screw!

You think so? Not difficult... just thought it would be fun to have it working on a servo...

Engine goes on shed after a working, and then the smokebox door opens without the use of the hand of god as it were.. :laugh:

JB.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I trust the smokeboxe door will open?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That did make me chuckle (thanks Cynric), but seriously JB, there's some excellent modelling going on there - well done. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan