Shelf Queens

Simon

Flying Squad
Poor show, you have more than that :)) Do you have any more of the Lowfits?

Oh yes, quite a pile of the brutes, but they all have minor casting errors arising from a bubbled mould. The plan is/was to make a new mould using the vacuum chamber.

I have also kitted up with all the constituent parts to make it complete, Slaters buffers, axlebox mouldings, springs, vacuum cylinder, (all from Milk tank) and screw couplings (from Fred).

Mouldings apart the thing that stalled me was the geometry of the clasp brake pull rods, although I have since worked out what the problem was.

Back to shedqueens, yes I do have more!

Unbuilt Fred Class 22 kit, Ken martin PMV kit, etches for 4:eek: S&DJR 4 wheel coaches from Alan Doherty, John Dale 48DS kit, 28A chassis and re-vamp, half built Barrett "Doddle" kit, Class 122 project, another Peckett etch, Slaters PO wagon and any number of odd resin open wagons.

What else can I start?:))

Simon

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
I find myself being more of a box queen :rolleyes:, I have tried to discipline myself to finish everything I start and it seems to work :thumbs:. The only time I will deviate is if I get too bogged down with a certain kit and need a break from it. And before any of you sharp eyed viewers spot the difference, Mr Finney had run out of boxes at the time and it is a 7mm 28xx inside ;).

P1060361-1.JPG

Martyn.

P.S. And yes that is a child safety gate, but in this case it's used to stop the dog from eatting all the cat food :D.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

I thought I would enter into the spirit of things and show you my hobbies room case - which sort of represents more immediate projects. I also have a painting case and of course Heyside is supported on boxes of work in progress rather than trestles. The case shown probably represents about 15% of work in progress. Stop laughing now.

Top shelf is a Sparmac LNER roof. Dunno what from. I might find the rest of the kit one day.

Next shelf down: MMP Duchess chassis and main body and 2 completed PECO wagons awaiting painting.

Next: Bags on the left contain LNER 8'6'' bogies from JLTRT plus LNER detailing components from Sidelines for upgrading some Kirk suburbans. Slater's BR van awaiting painting, MTH coach, and Duchess bogie and trailing truck.

Next: Aspinall saddle tank - the one with inside valve gear. Brit backhead, largely scratchbuilt, Std tank awaiting tinkering and weathering. Chowbent Fowler 2-6-2

Next: Slater's Brake Van, and Kirk siphon awaiting detailing. On top of the box is an MMP water scoop kit. I can't remember what that is earmarked for.

Bottom shelf: PD banana van, another Aspinall saddle tank - I'm working on the chassis for this at the moment. Tender for a JLTRT 2F and then another 2F - Underhill with scratch built cab to ring some changes.

P1010345a.jpg

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Turning round, my 'temporary' workbench. The hobbies room is the last room in the house to do, which means all the plaster off, new ceiling etc. When that is done there will be a proper work area built in both for me and my wife who is a quilter and needle crafter. Good job I tidied it for you, embarrassing otherwise.....

What's of interest? Left hand side is the new roof for the MTH coach - all exisiting vents stripped off, filled sanded and new vents added. Just behind that is a 1F awaiting very little and then painting. On the wooden block is the Aspinall saddle tank chassis. Boxes all over the floor. I haven't a clue where everything anything is, so I am about to embark on a great tidy when I still won't know where anything is, but it will be put away.

P1010347a.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Bags on the left contain LNER 8'6'' bogies from JLTRT ....

You have my sympathies... one day one of us will work out how to assemble the parts so that the axles are parallel to each other and at right angles to the side frames. My current thought is to make a jig to support the sideframes whilst the central bolster / trnasoms are attached... with the sideframes located by two vertical fences passing through the hornguides. Now this approach does assume that the bearing hole in the axlebox is central to the width of the box....

Stop laughing now... Richard

Oh, go on, enjoy the moment (bandwidth permitting).

regards, Graham

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
You have my sympathies... one day one of us will work out how to assemble the parts so that the axles are parallel to each other and at right angles to the side frames. My current thought is to make a jig to support the sideframes whilst the central bolster / trnasoms are attached... with the sideframes located by two vertical fences passing through the hornguides. Now this approach does assume that the bearing hole in the axlebox is central to the width of the box....

regards, Graham

Oww Err,

This sounds ominous, I have some jltrt American 9' bogies awaiting in the wings to be built and then fitted to a siphon . Will I suffer the same and need to make up a jig :eek:.

Martyn.

28ten

Guv'nor
Oww Err,

This sounds ominous, I have some jltrt American 9' bogies awaiting in the wings to be built and then fitted to a siphon . Will I suffer the same and need to make up a jig :eek:.

Martyn.
This is what I use :) keeps the axles parallel and if you turn it the other way up on a surface plate you are home and dry. Also works with wagons.
IMG_4926.JPG

IMG_4928.JPG

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have some jltrt American 9' bogies awaiting in the wings to be built and then fitted to a siphon . Will I suffer the same and need to make up a jig?

The issue with the Gresley 8'6" bogie is that the hornguides are not centred on the central transom so without any modification the axles are not at right angles to the side frames (even though the axles are parallel to each other). Hence my comment regarding a jig to hold the sideframes - without axleboxes - so that the horn guides are placed correctly with regard to the (virtual) centreline of the bogie. I think that to be fair I ought to add that I intend to use JB's etch bogie frame and so the whitemetal bogie frames are soldered to the brass etch frame. However, unless the whitemetal sideframes are "sorted", then the JLTRT whitemetal axleboxes bind in the whitemetal frames because of the mis-match of axle centres.

regards, Graham

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Good job I tidied it for you, embarrassing otherwise.....
:))

I found the best way to clear my backlog was to sell it :oops::confused::D

I have one of those Kirk Syphons, mine is converted to an inside framed version & fitted with whitemetal bogies...........just need to figure out way of making the thing stay on the track now :headbang::))

Phill :)

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Righto, I can't believe I've been talked into this.

shelf_of_shame_01.jpg

From the left: Connoisseur F5 to GER M15 - waiting for Scale7JB to pull his finger out and draw up the etches for the radial trucks...do you see how I ever so easily redirected the blame for my procrastination? Gibson J15 - my first J15 some 16 years ago, numbered 65463 - looked rough and ran rough. Three or four years ago I stripped it for backdating to an N31 (J14), but it's a bit agricultural compared to the Connoisseur kit I may just rebuild it a J15 in 0F and sell it on. Connoisseur N7 - my first 7mm build - a bit rough round the gills, but ran lovely. I stripped it back with the intention of backdating to the first L77, but Basilica Fields timeframe has tightened since and it would be anachronistic by about a decade. Will eventually rebuild for a small layout c1959 based on either Widford or Standon on the Buntingford line. Connoisseur J67 - will be a GER R24 for the first segment of Basilica. Connoisseur J69 was going to be a GER S56, but I'll build a better version from a hacked Connoisseur J68, so I'll build this in 0F and sell it on. Steve Beattie BTH Type 1 Class 15 was a Christmas project about four Christmases ago. Will eventually rise to the top of the pile to go with the N7 for the summer of '59. In front is the Connoisseur Y6 which will be a GER G53 - this goes to show #1 son has learned the art of model maker's procrastination - we were building it together but his railway attention is currently on green diesels in 4mm and computer games... The running plate for another Connoisseur J67, GER R24 for Basilica's first stage.

shelf_of_shame_02.jpg

Parkside GWR container wagon thingy circa 1930ish, don't ask. A Simon Castens resin LSW 2-planker, just needs detailing and painting. Inside it is a POWsides GNR covered van which is now almost too late for Basilica...but I might alter it to a fruit or fish and finish it off. A Shedmaster GER special cattle van I need to draw up some transfers. A Slater's MR box van in 0F needs converting to S7. An MR open needs converting to S7 and a full repaint. Part of a D&S GCR 27' double-door van, a Slater's PO needs converting to S7 and a repaint. A Connoisseur Sand Wagon needs repaint to pre-1903 livery. Shell of a POWsides GE open, the shell of a W&CW GNR bow-ended wagon, the body of a Ragstone GE double bolster and in front the start of a D&S GW N8 horsebox.

Missing from the photo, two Slater's PO wagons needing conversion to S7, the body of a Slater's tar wagon, two Slater's 1/32 wagons Simon D started but need detailing and painting, a Ragstone GE W&U luggage van and D&S bogie tramcar bought built in a job lot with some unstarted W&U kits both need repainting to pre-1903 GE livery and conversion to S7 to go with the Y6 tram, and a W&CW Thompson 52' brake 3rd - my first carriage from the early 90s which needs stripping and a blowtorch for a complete rebuild.

Do I win the smarties?

28ten

Guv'nor
Quite impressive Adrian :thumbs: you have fallen into the trap of stripping old models to 'make them better/different' I discovered that this was a bad move many years ago and I leave old stuff well alone as it is really taking a completed model however rough and turning it into a shelf queen :))

I must admit, I am finding it comforting that I am not the only one and my shelf will at least have three more ready for painting in a couple of weeks.....

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Righto, I can't believe I've been talked into this.

View attachment 9881

From the left: Connoisseur F5 to GER M15 - waiting for Scale7JB to pull his finger out and draw up the etches for the radial trucks...do you see how I ever so easily redirected the blame for my procrastination? Gibson J15 - my first J15 some 16 years ago, numbered 65463 - looked rough and ran rough. Three or four years ago I stripped it for backdating to an N31 (J14), but it's a bit agricultural compared to the Connoisseur kit I may just rebuild it a J15 in 0F and sell it on. Connoisseur N7 - my first 7mm build - a bit rough round the gills, but ran lovely. I stripped it back with the intention of backdating to the first L77, but Basilica Fields timeframe has tightened since and it would be anachronistic by about a decade. Will eventually rebuild for a small layout c1959 based on either Widford or Standon on the Buntingford line. Connoisseur J67 - will be a GER R24 for the first segment of Basilica. Connoisseur J69 was going to be a GER S56, but I'll build a better version from a hacked Connoisseur J68, so I'll build this in 0F and sell it on. Steve Beattie BTH Type 1 Class 15 was a Christmas project about four Christmases ago. Will eventually rise to the top of the pile to go with the N7 for the summer of '59. In front is the Connoisseur Y6 which will be a GER G53 - this goes to show #1 son has learned the art of model maker's procrastination - we were building it together but his railway attention is currently on green diesels in 4mm and computer games... The running plate for another Connoisseur J67, GER R24 for Basilica's first stage.

View attachment 9882

Parkside GWR container wagon thingy circa 1930ish, don't ask. A Simon Castens resin LSW 2-planker, just needs detailing and painting. Inside it is a POWsides GNR covered van which is now almost too late for Basilica...but I might alter it to a fruit or fish and finish it off. A Shedmaster GER special cattle van I need to draw up some transfers. A Slater's MR box van in 0F needs converting to S7. An MR open needs converting to S7 and a full repaint. Part of a D&S GCR 27' double-door van, a Slater's PO needs converting to S7 and a repaint. A Connoisseur Sand Wagon needs repaint to pre-1903 livery. Shell of a POWsides GE open, the shell of a W&CW GNR bow-ended wagon, the body of a Ragstone GE double bolster and in front the start of a D&S GW N8 horsebox.

Missing from the photo, two Slater's PO wagons needing conversion to S7, the body of a Slater's tar wagon, two Slater's 1/32 wagons Simon D started but need detailing and painting, a Ragstone GE W&U luggage van and D&S bogie tramcar bought built in a job lot with some unstarted W&U kits both need repainting to pre-1903 GE livery and conversion to S7 to go with the Y6 tram, and a W&CW Thompson 52' brake 3rd - my first carriage from the early 90s which needs stripping and a blowtorch for a complete rebuild.

Do I win the smarties?

:thumbs:I stopped that idea as I now just give em to MTH as he loves to model, I don't get the time these days, mind you you could build a scale model of Di Woodhams yard whilst completing them one by one just like the real thing taking them out to restore them;)

and yes tube on the way

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
I have to admit, it's been a bit of a psychological Doc Martin up the derrière and I'm now going to finish a few of these wagons off before tackling anything else.

Of course these photos don't show the commissions on the bench - a J65, R24, three J15s and a T26 (E4) all of which take precedence!

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
I have to admit, it's been a bit of a psychological Doc Martin up the derrière and I'm now going to finish a few of these wagons off before tackling anything else.

Of course these photos don't show the commissions on the bench - a J65, R24, three J15s and a T26 (E4) all of which take precedence!

There's more!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: