Some weathered models

I started doing railway modelling in the late 1970s in my teens after serving my time as an Airfix Apprentice.
It wasn't long before I noticed that other modelling disciplines were engaging in a practice called "weathering", particularly the Military guys.
I can't recall exactly when but given I was getting a lot of my railway knowledge from the massive collection of Bradford & Barton books at the local library, I started to notice that steam locos were actually pretty grubby things at least in the 1960s views predominating in those staple albums.
Fast forward to 1996 when I got back into the hobby seriously, I had dabbled again with those other modelling disciplines again in between times and knew that was the way I'd be going with railway modelling in future.
It was really about ten years later after I had invested in the equipment and gained a lot of skill and confidence that I realised this was were my "special skill" was.

The following are a selection of models I've finished over the years.
Some of you may have seen some before but please bear with me.
IMG_20230822_213320.jpg2018-3.jpg2018.jpgIMG_20240103_222833.jpgIMG_20230228_231302.jpg
IMG20230703001008.jpg

There are many more on an old memory stick but given I no longer have a suitable device, those remain unavailable for now but the above will hopefully give a taster of my work.
What astounds me is that I used to be a lot more productive than I appear to be these days but then it's been a slow process getting set up over the two and a half years since I moved home. Given everything else I have to do I probably shouldn't be so hard on myself!

Davy.

Thanks John.
Like I said, there are many more early images but I can't retrieve all of them right now.
I do have more recent examples though so I'll keep feeding them into this thread as time goes on.

Davy.

Sure. There's nothing especially original or groundbreaking about the basic techniques. What I will say is that one of these jobs now, seems to come together over a longer time than they used to. Either I'm out of practice or I'm just harder to please these days.
I think the 4MT mogul here has been through the shops three times and I'm only just starting to be happy with it!IMG20231004232011.jpg

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Nicely captured Davy. One thing I am starting to notice is that stock on a lot of layouts fits into one of three categories;

1) - out of the box, unweathered
2) - out of the box weathered - with that dreadful monotone effect. The quick squirt in the factory with an airbrush and give me more of your money type. Some of the overpriced effects are even worse but are as well ignored.
3) - completely overdone. The magazines have undoubtedly had an impact here in encouraging what might be described as "Last Years of Steam Syndrome" where everything looks like it is on its last legs.

What you are capturing - and there are a few of you on this forum who do it well - is that used, cleaned (at least to some extend) but maintained in working order look. I think it is easier to produce the extreme stuff and a lot harder to know when to stop and then how to produce that hint of cleaning. I don't remember the steam era but your rendition of 40 063 is spot on to how I remember them. That engine was always in and round Dundee and that is how it looked. Work stained but cared for.

Hopefully you find a way of retrieving your images as I'd like to see more.

John