7mm Stretching the Point... LNWR preferred

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Give Dave Nicholson a bell, he has been producing GWR round insulated stretcher bars for yonks.
Tsk, tsk, pay attention please. The stretcher rods are for Hartley Hill and that is a LNWR layout, I am not sure that our esteemed Chairman would ever recognise such a competitor to the GWR.

BTW - why do yonks require stretchers?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
After speaking to Colin today I have decided to try to find an alternative insulation material to the electrical sleeving which comes with the castings. My initial experiment is going to be with Rizla.... not worried if Red, Green, Blue or Liquorice flavour...

Smear some epoxy on the cast rod and wrap the paper around the rod. When hard I shall stick the insulated rod into the drop link with more epoxy.

I hope...

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
After speaking to Colin today I have decided to try to find an alternative insulation material to the electrical sleeving which comes with the castings. My initial experiment is going to be with Rizla.... not worried if Red, Green, Blue or Liquorice flavour...

Smear some epoxy on the cast rod and wrap the paper around the rod. When hard I shall stick the insulated rod into the drop link with more epoxy.

I hope...
Graham,
I have used this method in the past and it works well and will also give a better bond I believe.
......King size Rizla:D....

Col.

S7BcSR

Western Thunderer
Tsk, tsk, pay attention please. The stretcher rods are for Hartley Hill and that is a LNWR layout, I am not sure that our esteemed Chairman would ever recognise such a competitor to the GWR.

BTW - why do yonks require stretchers?

You might be right but they are both round and both need insulating. Tube with Evergreen rod with rail attachment silver soldered on. I think it was in S7 Newsletter two or three years ago. Certainly works - used on the now retired S7 Demonstration Boards.

As for yonks I defer to your knowledge, maybe they dont!!

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Drilling a 1mm hole into the castings of the forged ends is not for the faint-hearted.... wrapping epoxy-smeared Rizla paper around the bar is not for those who can get sticky stuff where sticky stuff ought not to get.

On t'other hand, wrapping the Rizla paper around the cast bar is possible and the result does slide (just) into those parts which are soldered into the switch rails.

So far so good, now need to fit the two switch rails to the turnout and adjust the length of each stretcher rod before joining the switch blades by way of the stretchers.

regards, Graham