7mm The Derby Line: Basford North

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Once you start runing the layout, some of the planning deficiences come to light. There was a limited number of trains that could use the down line from Bulwell Common, so I put in a crossover between the up and down storage lines so that trains stored in a fan of sidings off the up line could run on to the down.
IMG_8705.JPG

Anyway, once wired in and tidied up, it created a direct short. I had forgotten to de-link the two closure rails. So with some choice words, it all had to come up again...
IMG_8706.JPG

One of the movements it allows now - is 'engine and brake' from Annesley going West to a colliery pick up. Except that the fireman seems to have mistaken local passenger for light engine... Oh... and that fireman is a Modelu me!
IMG_8717.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Thanks Dave - slowly but surely...
Work continues - adding York Modelmaking GNR signs and lamps to Peter Leyland's excellent station building. Posters have also been added now. A J50 flies by....
IMG_8738.JPG

I'm also starting to plant the signals. Thats an odd looking moon up there!
IMG_8740.JPG

and connect up the servos and Merg controllers underneath... still more wiring to add...
IMG_8741.JPG

Last edited:

dibateg

Western Thunderer
After another successful running session, my thoughts have turned back to the concrete signals - as work is well on with the electronic controls for them. There are two single posts and one bracket to make.
This is my first shot at milling out the bell shaped slots in the signal post. The protoypes do vary in the shape of the slots. All I have to do now, is taper the whole post...
IMG_8857.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
So with some heavy filing and then finishing up with the milling machine has got me this far. I think it needs a little more taper on it. Next time I'll leave some waste at the bottom of the post as well! Also I will deploy a more accurate method of drilling the holes - my basic engineering skills are on a steep learning curve. Fortunately, there are only two others to make....
IMG_8859.JPG

dibateg

Western Thunderer
More signal progress, the up and down posts for the West end of Basford North are now mearly complete. The capabilities of the Ersa soldering iron are well demonstarted by it's abilty to solder the brass bar. Just awaiting the lamps and finishing off.
IMG_4311.JPG

The tall splitting signal for the down line from Bagthorp Juncion is now taking shape. The milling machine is making this relatively easy...
IMG_4316.JPG

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
The signals look very impressive. You've certainly got those slotted posts off to a tee.
I imagine the mechanism for somersault arms is quite tricky and depends on the geometry of the linkage between spectacles and the arm?
Dave.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Funnily enough, it's rather easy Dave, just need to get link length from the arm to the spectacle right and they tip up easily...

Tony

Brian McKenzie

Western Thunderer
The layout of trackwork (and concrete signal posts) is very appealing to my eye - without much knowledge of your prototype. Is that a single-slip in the pic above? Sadly my colonial prototype abhors anything other than the simplest formations (as if copied from a Tri-ang catalogue).

dibateg

Western Thunderer
It's a single slip with switched blades for the crossing Brian as it is a very shallow angle. The prototype is a straight formation, but I've curved this section of line to fit it into my room. Not exactly protypical trackwork, but I need it to be reliable for running. It's a typical Great Northern style long crossing that trails from the up line right across all lines in to the goods yard.

Regards
Tony

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Beginning to look quite complete and rather lovely.
There looks to a slightly awkward gap under the steps on the left. I this because the platform surfaces aren't in the same plane or a slight twist in the staircase?
Dave.

Deano747

Western Thunderer
Hi Tony

In just over ten years from paper to this is quite an achievement for what is predominantly a solo effort (not taking away the wonderful skills of Geoff and Alisdair and others that may have assisted!)
I look forward to the next ten years?!

Regards
Rob