I have made cassettes with aluminium angle sides screwed to a ply or chipboard base. The metal will expand and contract with temperature change quite markedly, although the base doesn’t, so you can end up with a cassette that can be concave or convex in shape.
That is a problem with aluminium. Steel would be better in term expansion.

Though harder to work.

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Morning all,

I'm managing some time to finally paint the sleepers over the last day or so. Hopefully. Ican also weather the trackwork today. With a big push, we may even see the first of the ballast going down this evening.

Here's a rather rough and ready view of current sleeper painting...

20240528_101443.jpg

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
I'm learning Cornish and todays word of the day is sheep or Davas View attachment 216421thought it might be something for your next project
Marc

Morning Marc,

Interesting. There are many similarities between Cornish and Welsh. Sheep in Welsh is defaid, pronounced dev aid. At one point, Sheep Dip was going to be Little sheep in Welsh or Defaid Bach......but I quickly realised to most visitors it would be Deaf Aid........

However, as part of the post Bracknell reset, the next layout MAY not have a sheep linked name. You heard it here first..................or then again it might.....

Rob

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Interesting to see someone still uses flat-bottom Peco Streamline Code 75. I laid my latest layout with it, then swapped it for bullhead at the very last minute before gluing. It was a close call.
Hi Larry,

I swapped from Bullhead to streamline. One loco, key to the layout currently being built did not like the Bullhead points. Switched to streamline and no such issues. I am aware of conversations on Rmweb that suggest that there is a degree of gauge narrowing through the curved section of the Bullhead points which has caused a few issues.

However, the next project, Flaxfield, will see a change back to Bullhead or possibly British Finescale point kits.

I'm watching how Tim, aka CK , gets on with his trial build.

Rob.

Chris Veitch

Western Thunderer
Hats off to you, Marc. We've not managed that in Wales, historically another similarly moist area of the U.K.

Rob.
Not so! And here’s a Grauniad article to prove it, discussing the Maentwrog rainforest area below Tan-y-bwlch, which is also now well represented with RTR locos, rolling stock and now a station building kit (phew - back on topic).

And your new project is absolutely splendid Rob, I never fail to be impressed nowadays by the sheer range of Stuff available in RTR OO and the amazing things you manage to do with it.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
I'm a CEng and MIMechE but never went for the EUR ING for the reason stated by SimonD.
In many European countries, Eng or Ing is used with the same status as Dr or Rev in this country. I think the lack of status in this country is partly because people/media refer to technicians who service household appliances or fix the phone as being "engineers".
Dave.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I'm a CEng and MIMechE but never went for the EUR ING for the reason stated by SimonD.
In many European countries, Eng or Ing is used with the same status as Dr or Rev in this country. I think the lack of status in this country is partly because people/media refer to technicians who service household appliances or fix the phone as being "engineers".
Dave.

I'm CEng MICE FCIHT and also get a bit brassed off that anyone and their dog can be an "engineer".