4mm The Strawberry Line in P4

ullypug

Western Thunderer
This month, I have been mostly gardening. In a scale style obviously. And that's about it really.

Road surfaces are the usual Attwood Aggregates dust, greenery is static grass undercoat and postiche top coat, horsehair hedges and an assortment of sprinkles and flocks. It's funny how I'm down at the dregs of various containers as I hit the last board.

Another obligatory strawberry patch has appeared inside the railway fence (which is still to do).

Still lots to do but I already like the vista of the embankment and station approaches. It'll look good with a couple of signals on it.
IMG_1914.jpegIMG_1912.jpegIMG_1911.jpegIMG_1909.jpegIMG_1908 (1).jpegIMG_1907 (1).jpeg

AJC

Western Thunderer
Coming on, Andrew - the gree is bringing it to life. Don't forget the verge at the hedge bottom in the field; it's just about possible to plough to the root line, but more effort than it's worth.

Adam

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Modelling time has been limited recently due to work, family weddings, uni open days and holidays. I did have a rather splendid weekend at Scaleforum, helping operate my old Wheal Elizabeth layout and it was great to see so many old friends again. Once I’d gotten over the urge to come back and start building another china clay layout thoughts returned to Cheddar.
Progress has been limited to the building of 1 Station Road.

I wanted to include this as part of the final board and after making a couple of mock ups, decided to build in 3.5 mm/ft as I did with the station master’s house.

Nothing particular noteworthy about its construction and I’m just about ready to start painting and bedding it in. I’m planning on having the backscene curving round behind it so haven’t bothered with the back of the house. Some more aerial photos have come to light showing trees between the house and railway anyway which should help the scenic blocker.

The tortoise motor is for the turnout on the bridge by the way and operates via wire in tube.
and before anyone asks, the telegraph pole is deliberately on the slant as per the prototype and has a couple of stays from EZ Line holding it up!
IMG_2840.jpegIMG_2843.jpegIMG_2849.jpegIMG_2850.jpegIMG_2848.jpegIMG_2847.jpegIMG_2845.jpegIMG_2844.jpegIMG_1985.jpeg

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Looking mighty fine Andrew I lived in one of the bay window houses in station road not the one you modelled but the opposite end of the rank. You’ve got a good likeness there.
Sorry to point out but for me the bridge looks a bit odd.
Could be just the proud row of stone above the arch that’s lacking? Anyway it’s a million times better than I could do so hats off to you.
The general feel is spot on.
Looking forward to more.
Cheers Ade

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
It is nice Andrew when someone identifies with the place like Ade. I drive through Cheddar a few times but now so much has changed hasn't it.
Lovely model look forward to seeing in the flesh.
Cheers
Julian

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Looking mighty fine Andrew I lived in one of the bay window houses in station road not the one you modelled but the opposite end of the rank. You’ve got a good likeness there.
Sorry to point out but for me the bridge looks a bit odd.
Could be just the proud row of stone above the arch that’s lacking? Anyway it’s a million times better than I could do so hats off to you.
The general feel is spot on.
Looking forward to more.
Cheers Ade
Thanks Ade. You could be right. I’ve never seen a photo of the bridge so it’s purely guesswork but a row of something would make sense. Might take my cue from Winscombe though it app to have had the parapet cut down. Glad you recognise it though !

Attachments

• IMG_0229.png
    IMG_0229.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Thanks Ade. You could be right. I’ve never seen a photo of the bridge so it’s purely guesswork but a row of something would make sense. Might take my cue from Winscombe though it app to have had the parapet cut down. Glad you recognise it though !
Closer to your layout image from Goofle! The top one the 1st surviving bridge south of your layout the twin river Yeo Bridge Lane.
Bottom one 5 cross bridge as we always called it (filled in by a few feet) North end of your layout think you’ve modelled this.
I can see what it is now! Not only the proud row of stone above the arch but the arch itself is perhaps flatter and the arch stones are taller on the outsides and reduce in height as they get closer to the centre key stone.
Also I think you may have slighfly overdone the distance top of arch to top of parapet, might be the angle though of the shot as it looks more on the Wedmore side than the Cheddar side!
I do have photos of it somewhere on demolition day I’ll see if I can find them.

B643A2DC-1DF6-4F78-B57E-8777C14069C5.png90ADFEBE-A5AC-48D7-84EF-4CEFAEE8880C.jpeg
W

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Closer to your layout image from Goofle! The top one the 1st surviving bridge south of your layout the twin river Yeo Bridge Lane.
Bottom one 5 cross bridge as we always called it (filled in by a few feet) North end of your layout think you’ve modelled this.
I can see what it is now! Not only the proud row of stone above the arch but the arch itself is perhaps flatter and the arch stones are taller on the outsides and reduce in height as they get closer to the centre key stone.
Also I think you may have slighfly overdone the distance top of arch to top of parapet, might be the angle though of the shot as it looks more on the Wedmore side than the Cheddar side!
I do have photos of it somewhere on demolition day I’ll see if I can find them.

View attachment 198259View attachment 198260
W
Thanks Ade
Yes it’s not quite right but I’ll have to ponder how to amend it without destroying everything!
Did you say you might have or have access to an original strawberry basket? I’m trying to borrow one to have it scanned

AdeMoore

Western Thunderer
Andrew I wouldn’t worry about amending anything it looks mighty fine.
I was just passing an observation!
Yes I did have access to a basket, it was a while ago now though.
I’ll see if I can make contact again.
I'm guessing you mean the original ones as below. Not the more cardboard ones later.

8385D6C6-F38D-4E75-A8FB-EB7F25253CA6.png

ullypug

Western Thunderer
Modelling output has slowed a bit due to various demands on precious modelling time. But with 1 Station Road complete for now, I've been concentrating on a couple of projects that have been lurking on the depths of the modelling bench for far too long. The first is a diagram E116 B set, the origins of which were a K's plastic kit, kindly donated by Tim Venton of Clutton fame.
I needed to do quite a bit of salvage work on the sides and the ends were a bit hit and miss. The E116 was joined by a Tommy bar and had no intermediate buffers from what I can tell, so I've done what I can to tidy things up and add the various alarm gear. The under frames are Comet kits, bogies white metal sides over a Bill Bedford sprung frame. They've been awaiting their innards and glazing but have languished on the workbench waiting for their turn in the paint shop first, which has finally started. State of play at the moment is an initial pass of carmine and cream with the lining, ends and roof still to do, along with correcting some ride height issues.

IMG_3630 (1).jpeg
IMG_3629 (1).jpeg

Second distraction is the camping coach which was stationed at Cheddar. This was W9902W from the pictures I have, a conversion from a diagram E73 composite. The basis of this one is a set of etches from Worsley Works, sitting on a pair of Dean 10ft bogies just introduced by MJT.
This coach will never move and consequently definitely has an 'A' side and a 'B' side, which will not be visible to the public and reflects my struggles with the forming of an acceptable joint line for the clerestory roof! It has just had a coat of primer which has revealed a few blemishes.
It should form a nice little cameo at the back of the layout once done.

IMG_3628 (1).jpeg