Tickling A Q1's Belly

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Monday was a day out in York and what's a day in York without a visit to the museum with the clan. I always like to have a look what's on the pit as this gives me chance to get underneath and get some photo's that can't usually be captured. I know a few members have already built the MOK Q1 and some still have them to build so I thought these may help with some of the under belly detailsCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0039.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0040.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0041.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0042.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0043.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0044.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0045.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0047.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0048.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0049.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0050.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0051.JPGCopy of 2012_0730PoWagons0052.JPG
ATB Mick

Attachments

• Copy of 2012_0730PoWagons0037.JPG
    Copy of 2012_0730PoWagons0037.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 3

AdamF

Western Thunderer
These are fantastic photos :thumbs: I was underneath the very same beast on Saturday! It really was incredible to see all the details, the leaf springs, hornblocks and guides etc. Very informative, and an impressive engine as well.

Thanks for posting the pics :thumbs:

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
No bother at all Adam, I did the same with the Green Arrow when she was over the pit. I think this part of the Museum offers a great insight as when I photographed like this before but even on preserved lines the light over the pit is never this good, glad they help,

ATB Mick

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
They are great pics, but they beg a far wider question.

How can we best use and share the personal resources we have?

I have long thought there should be an on-line photo resource for various locos - a la Paul's wagon site.

I have hundreds, thousands even, of photos of locos I am interested in - Brit, 9F, Stanier Mogul, 80000, Flying Pig, Jinty, Manor (keep that one quiet), Jubilee and many others, accumulated over the last decade or so.

I am perfectly happy to make them available, but how? A CD would be one way of course, but then there would need to be some register of who's got what, and more time and cost to provide.

On-line seems to carry the risk of the host disappearing (Fotopic?) or simply too many images (and you'd want them large) for, say, WT or similar.

Any ideas?

Richard

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
They are great pics, but they beg a far wider question.
How can we best use and share the personal resources we have?

Just what I thought.... and like you I have a collection of stuff - viz the A4 on a CD that I sent to you. Sharing within the forum seems to be the first step, maybe a single shot in the gallery to identify who has what for loan?

regards, Graham

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I've stuck all mine on my Flickr site, I opted for the pro version, think its £24 a year or something, that allows you to add larger pictures. I know some sites have three or four guys uploading their pictures to the same site, cost presumably split four ways. Generate your own folder within the site and then just upload your stuff to that.

There is of course the risk of the 'Fotopic' saga but as far as I can recall thats the only picture host site that has fallen over in my time on the web and there's a fair few of them around, there's nothing to suggest others will follow, and also nothing to suggest they will be concrete for years to come, it's one of those things you just have to live with I suppose.

Hopefully up to York in the next two weeks, need some pictures of A4 and others to suppliment my collection, hopefully drop by NVR and see how they are getting on with the BoB rebuild.

Kindest

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
If we are going down the route of posting pictures on the net, what about using Facebook to do so? Could also create a little bit of WT community as we have here?

Just a thought..

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
great pictures Mick, many thanks for sharing them - unfortunately, as far as I am concerned, too late as I have built two MOK Q1s.

Richard's idea and question are good and need some thought to produce the right answer, so I'll stoke up the 'little grey cells' and se if I come up with anything worthwhile.

cheers

Mike

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Mick,

Very timely - I took a load of shots of the Q1 a year or two ago, before she was over the pit. My MOK kit has recently re-surfaced to the top of the pile and I really must finish it.

Thankfully, a recent chat with Laurie Griffin means I now have a clear way forward for the motion parts...

In terms of the photo library, I have a few locos covered in depth - SECR 'D', LSWR 'T9', SR 'U'. The shots of the 'U' and 'T9' have been taken while the locos are under overhaul so allowing some unusual (and clean!) views.
Steph

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I have hundreds, thousands even, of photos of locos I am interested in - Brit, 9F, Stanier Mogul, 80000, Flying Pig, Jinty, Manor (keep that one quiet), Jubilee and many others, accumulated over the last decade or so.
Richard

Richard, I'd be very interested in most of those LOL, especially any that show inside the frames and stretcher shots, I keep leaping from DB modern to LMR steam with a frequency that'd make a grasshopper dizzy!. I've collected quite a few off the web and forgotten where I got them from so those cannot be posted, there was a particularly good set of one of the Brits that got stripped down at Crewe a while ago, sadly Royal Scot was there more recently and no one seems to have applied the same diligence to recording the inside of the frames for modellers.

Kindest

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
I'm glad the pictures have helped out and sparked debate. I'm with Richard and think something could be put together on WT. That way picture sharing would also spark discussion and idea sharing i.e. ' here's a picture of the Westo pump pipe work which isn't represented in the kit.

I wish they'd get 'Winston Churchill' on that road!.

Kindest
He's pride of place on the turntable at the moment and although I'm a North Eastern modeller I do love the light Pacifica. I've heard say they steam as well as an A4 !!

ATB Mick

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm glad the pictures have helped out and sparked debate. I'm with Richard and think something could be put together on WT. That way picture sharing would also spark discussion and idea sharing i.e. ' here's a picture of the Westo pump pipe work which isn't represented in the kit.

He's pride of place on the turntable at the moment and although I'm a North Eastern modeller I do love the light Pacifica. I've heard say they steam as well as an A4 !!

ATB Mick
Problem is they seem to change them weekly so by next week it'll be stuck somewhere dark and inaccessible knowing my luck!.

Kindest