Prototype US Slides - '70s onward

JasonD

Western Thunderer
D&H GP39-2 7410, acquired from RDG at Conrail startup. Some ex-RDG and Lehigh Valley locos eventually got a coat of blue, but some had needed a better wash and the previous colours came thru. Quite a challenge, almost an oxymoron - fantastic weathering. In O-scale, start with a Weaver GP38-2. I think the local US toolmakers (not China) may have worked to data taken from a Lehigh Valley GP38AC that was parked nearby, hence the wider spaced fans at the end of the long hood - right for an early GP39-2 - and leaf spring Blombergs.

So on the Wvr GP38-2, take off the air filter (square cross-section box) ahead of the dynamic brake which has to be lengthened to fill in the space to the blower grill. Yes there are other smaller differences (exhausts, etc). If you update all the fan section (see the blank bit bfore the d/b wide bit starts) with Des Plaines fans and grills, you can end up with a 3xfan GP-40-2. Don't forget the trademark RDG rainwater deflector on the cab roof. I have one nicely converted by Chris Iverson, yes I should take its pic, incidentally are you out there Chris?
Jason
DH7410exRDGGP39-2.jpg

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Willy, here's one with Reading (not the one in Berkshire) in the middle. Taken in the Power Control Room at D&H's Colonie Shops. So all we need is a board with track plan, pieces of card to write train, loco and caboose numbers on and a couple of dices - no model railway! Upgrade to metal board, magnetic strip and 4 dices for 2 operators. The Dispatchers nearby had a better board with switches and a radio, but less info.
Jason
PowerControlBoard.jpg

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Did I mean to post those last two as thumbnails, pay attention Jason, anyway Colonie Shops May '81 - D&H gons lurking in the junk/weeds and my Hertz rental car with rail-ride option. OK you can tell from the presence of a number plate I'm kidding, but what a holiday that could be.... Rear view on request.
RailcarFront.jpg

JasonD

Western Thunderer
D&H 34391 MoW car 5/76. I have a couple of LaBelle wood passenger car kits which I've converted when I decided that the D&H was the way to go, not the Ma & Pa. All you need to do is take the clerestory bit of the roof off, fill in the hole and cover it up with strips of plain tissue paper 'glued' down with matt white paint. If you're assembling kits with scribed wood overlays, like the planking in the LaBelle kits, don't forget to paint them on all faces and sides before assembly to stop them curling annoyingly at the scribed edges if they only get painted on one face. Pictures of the models soon.DH34391exPassCar.jpg

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Well I've found the slide-to-pc box with tray and wire-lead, now all I need is the flat round thing with a hole in the middle. While I'm looking here is one of my favourites, a GE45-tonner (got a Rich Yoder version), up at the Mid-Continent Museum, North Freedom, Wisconsin in deep snow - 2006? Experts - the walkway frame-plate looks quite thick, could it be a ... 50-tonner or whatever? Can't look it up while I'm looking for the darn CD.
GE45-tonn1_1024x768.jpg

JasonD

Western Thunderer
Well the snow made for great lighting, here's that Whitcomb ex-US Army RS4TC Steph(!). There was an MRS1 at Campo museum, maybe that's on an old computer....
Whitcomb1256#1.JPG Whitcomb1256#2.JPG Whitcomb1256#3.JPG
Apart from being the only cab interior shot, that reflection's me(!) with frozen hair and sensible(?) fingerless gloves. My first selfie?!
Jason

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
In getting the Soo Line diversionary discussion moved to a new Thread (it was Dogstar Graham's idea!! :p ) I didn't mean to kill off this Thread in the process :oops:
Got any more photos, Jason?

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Lol. The whole reason I didn't post those Soo pictures to another thread was because I didn't really have anything else to say at the moment.

I've got a great big box of slides and super 8 film sitting in storage back in Denver that has all the slides my dad would have taken in the late 70's to mid 80's. It oddly never occurred to me to get into them to find old railroad photos. I know they're there. I just never sorted through the box. It's on my long list of things to do, and my interest has been piqued by this thread, but I can't do anything about it until this summer at the earliest.:( There is bound to be a lot of Canadian Pacific and Union Pacific content from our many trips out west. And lots of other miscellaneous stuff from everywhere else.

Now I want to start digging, and I can't!:headbang::rant: