Vehicles For New Street And General Raiding Of The Toybox!

Neil

Western Thunderer
I've found this photo of a bog standard Sierra, I'd be looking at the ride height (which seems a little lower on the real thing and the roofline which appears to fall away from the top of the windscreen on the model rather than peak half way along the roof as on the real car. Have to say I've had to work quite hard at picking out these differences, and your tweaked model is way ahead of the raw material Jim.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Cheers. It is definitely the tailgate - look at the difference in the size of the rear 3/4 window on the real one and the model - the model one is much bigger.

I liked the look of the Sierra as well - so different to everything else around at the time, and it was obviously a success, as the competitors gradually changed to similar shapes. I also had a P100 for a few days, when mine was in for repair, when I was working for a roofing company. It was quite a pleasant drive.

alcazar

The Sierra was a jelly mould, but showed the way forward.
Name a popular car today thats not got a hint of jelly mould about it?

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Mini
Veyron
Disco.....

Bog standard LR - after 60 years I think that we can claim that to be popular!!!!!!!!!

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's something to do with the bonnet and the tailgate. Perhaps the whole thing isn't quite curvy enough.

Can you take a photograph of one in the same sort of position as this:
http://www.alclarke.com/wp-content/uploads/alclarke/Sierra-and-Space-Shuttle.jpg

That might help me to figure it out.

I think you have already sussed it but here you go anyway. Appologies for the lack of Space Shuttle!

sierra%20for%20pugs.jpg

Cheers

Jim

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Appologies for the lack of Space Shuttle!
That's just not good enough ;):D

As you say, I have pretty much sussed it now, it's not curvy enough, and because it isn't curvy enough, the bonnet ends up a touch too high. This then puts the windscreen and the tailgate out.

I look forward to seeing how you get on with the Talbot conversion!

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Another mini adventure again using Corgi Mini's

more%20minis.jpg

On the left, the corgi mini with wheels and radiator grill from a springside kit I picked up cheaply and on the right a van I am converting to a clubman estate. I just need to find another springside clubman kit going for next to nothing. This one also has wheels from Springside.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Hi All

Finished the modernised mini (if you can call something about 30 years old modernised), its shown here compared with the original version

minis%20old%20and%20new.jpg

As an aside for those following the halfords paint matches thread this is ford signal yellow which is alledged a good match for Warning panel yellow - as you can see its no where near.

Cheers

Jim

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Now I am really asking for trouble - the VW beetle! My friend had an 'oval' so i have attacked the oxford beetle.

bug.jpg

So far I have filed off the canvas roof, added a small bit of filler to the upper windscreen corners (the windscreens seemed rounder on the oval beetles) and filed off the indicators. the rear window was glued and filled and an oval cut into it (needs a bit more filler yet). Luckily the oxford beetle has the smaller tail lights as per my friends car.

Cheers

Jim

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
Nice work:thumbs:

I nearly took the plunge with a Cool Cal or a Baja 'Bug' yet sadly I thought that all of 'em, whilst great to look at, were awful to drive! The Same with the Type 2's/Split Screens etc as well:oops: :(:))

You're quite right. A GF of mine had one and, unless you enjoy cornering on opposite lock, it was a real pig to drive. I've nothing against modern VWs...

Richard

Jim S-W

Western Thunderer
Never driven a beetle but I have been a passenger in my mates 'oval' with bench seats and no seatbelts plus the lack of any real padding on anything inside it was a far from pleasant experience I can tell you. I was damn happy when the journey was over and I could get out. Its amazing just how much a modern car seat holds you in place by comparison.

Jim

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Nice vehicle-bashing going on here :thumbs:

Ive been thinking about what can be done with a dinky Blaw Knox dozer to put on a LOWMAC, plenty of unboxed tatty ones around cheap on ebay which collectors wont go near. most of it looks workable maybe (?) Proper track links from 1/48 tanks could work well with some more detailing.

Blaw Knox dozer.JPG
Jon

edit: that original Sierra is dreadful! looks like a Saab 99 with rear quarterlights :))

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
Hi CME :)

I think that Dinky series was 1/43 (ish), so I figured that a tank's wider tracks, but at 1/48 might be about right. But theres hardly any info on the 'net about the real dozers so I cant check the dimensions, and Ive only found one very grainy photo so far. Surprising given they seem to have made loads of them.

Ive just missed one on ebay which went for £3.20, doh! I'll keep a look out for others, and check out the Tamiya kit - thanks for the suggestion :thumbs:

Jon

Western Thunderer
Nice vehicle-bashing going on here :thumbs:

Ive been thinking about what can be done with a dinky Blaw Knox dozer to put on a LOWMAC, plenty of unboxed tatty ones around cheap on ebay which collectors wont go near. most of it looks workable maybe (?) Proper track links from 1/48 tanks could work well with some more detailing.

View attachment 19852
Jon

I think I remember that the Dinky Supertoys were made to 7mm scale to match the Hornby 0 gauge products. The "normal" Dinky toys were to 4mm scale to match Hornby Dublo.

Jim.

Here we go lads....

Just put Dinky supertoys, in ebay & found this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-D...hicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item589db50481

Steve :cool: