Welshwizards Models

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Fred, Pugsley

Can you let me know what brand of water based oil paints you are using for the weathering please.

Richard

welshwizard

Western Thunderer
Windsor and Newton Artisan water mixable oil colour,
Ivory Black,
Titanium White,
Burnt Sienna,
French Ultramarine,
Raw Sienna.
Hope that helps Richard.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Fred,

as I said privately, excellent work as usual, ;ooking forward to seeing the finished articles.

cheers

Mike

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Nice work Fred, your use of water mixable oils sounds interesting, like the green 08 mate it took me back to my childhood, Triang series 3 track, green 08 and all that:D

Col.

Pugsley

Western Thunderer
Windsor and Newton Artisan water mixable oil colour,
Same here. I use the same colours as Fred with the addition of the following:
Raw Umber
Burnt Umber
Alizarin Crimson (perm.)
Cadmium Yellow
Phthalo Green (blue shade).

The W&N paints are the only water mixable oils available at the moment, but Daler Rowney are bringing some out at some point as well.

welshwizard

Western Thunderer
Nice work Fred, your use of water mixable oils sounds interesting, like the green 08 mate it took me back to my childhood, Triang series 3 track, green 08 and all that:D

Col.

Col.
Colin.
Getting a bit more un-impressed with my results again lately still looking out for that over all texture you find when the rust is bleeding through the paint and the sign's of unkept paintwork from years of un-cleaned engines , look on the latest book cover from ian allens on the last days of Southern steam Colin, the picture is worth a thousand words and is what i am after try to emulate. Its David Shepards record of the last days of Southern Steam.
9781906419738_1.jpg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Colin.
........" still looking out for that over all texture you find when the rust is bleeding through the paint and the sign's of unkept paintwork from years of un-cleaned engines"......

Yep, know what you mean Fred, I feel that as with "real dirt and grime" it's about layer upon layer, we need to get more layers of our grime /dirt colour on the model. I find that the finishes I'm most pleased with tend to be dry brushed and stippled effects for rust stained paint.
I do get some pleasing textures with the flat rust colours from Lifecolour especially on ash pans etc. But once again being acrylics you can't cut back, only cover again.
I'll certainly have a go with the oils you mention.
That picture on the book is excellent for reference, is the book all colour?Fred.

ATB, Col

welshwizard

Western Thunderer
Colin.
I don't know about the book but i will find out this Sunday as i am demonstrating at the Bristol Ogauge show and will pick it up if it contains the same colour standards that are displayed on the cover. Never used those lifecolour acrlics before are those the ones that are marketed by Iwata ?.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Colin.
I don't know about the book but i will find out this Sunday as i am demonstrating at the Bristol Ogauge show and will pick it up if it contains the same colour standards that are displayed on the cover. Never used those lifecolour acrlics before are those the ones that are marketed by Iwata ?.

I believe Iwata do, I get mine from Peter Hunt at Perfect Miniatures who stocks the paints as well as Iwata equipment.
Would liked to have made the Bristol show but I can't make it this year.

Going back to the paints Lifecolour have some interesting mixes, such as OIL, WHITE OXIDE which is good for the priming stains you sometimes see splattered over chimnys and smokeboxes, DUST, several shades of RUST and their flesh tones are also good.

Atb, Col.

Simon

Flying Squad
The book is all colour and very good. You'll defo be able to pick it up at the Bristol Show as Kevin Robertson (the publisher) is in attendance with his stall.

Simon

In da shop

28ten

Guv'nor
The book is all colour and very good. You'll defo be able to pick it up at the Bristol Show as Kevin Robertson (the publisher) is in attendance with his stall.

Simon

In da shop
C'mon Simon, couldnt you bring a copy for Fred to have a look at :cool:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
C'mon Simon, couldnt you bring a copy for Fred to have a look at :cool:

Yes, bring along a copy... pass to The Guv'nor... and we can all sign the title page. You can then take the book back to Bath for centre stage in the shop window.:)

Simon

Flying Squad
Yes, I could do the full "travelling salesman"thing but don't want to get thrown out for hawking:oops:

Looking forward to a good natter, 12.00 sounds good:thumbs:

If anyone does want anything bringing I'll happily oblige, some things I've got that Kevin definitely wont have are;

Lance Mindheim's new book "How To Operate A Modern Era Switching Layout"

Folly Books "Subterranean Britain Bath Stone Quarries" by Derek Hawkins

"Somerset Coal Canal A Second Pictorial Journey" by Roger Halse

plus any number of bus books:))

Simon

Simon

Flying Squad
In these times you need to put it about, every sale counts......
have you got that new WR Branchlines book?

Yes it's a real corker and I'd be delighted to bring you a copy of that too.

I'll bring my machine;)

Is there anything else sir would like?

If I may venture a further suggestion, the new "Impermanent Ways Wiltshire" is rather appealing, having a very fair content of the "respectably well photographed green DMU on moribund WR branch Line" variety, most notably at Calne, Devizes and Highworth, I believe.

This in addition to most appealing photographs of the "small contractors diesel helps remove Midland and South Western Junction Railway" variety, photographed by Sean Bolan, no less. Chedworth was one of Mr Wooster's favourite set of images as I recall.

Getting up to Gussie Fink-Nottle's place has been an absolute stinker since they shut that line.....

Jeeves