Prototype Wensleydale Railway

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Following the visit last week of the Volker Rail Beaver 1900 Tamper surveying the line last week (photos above) we have had several visits this week from a Volker Rail 2004 and today we had the chance to really get up close and personal as it levelled the line at the back of our house. What a fascinating machine to see in action.

51299364574_1890f5fdcb_3k.jpg

51297906722_4f6bd74e40_3k.jpg

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
In preparation for this years running of the Polar Express there has been much work done on the line with quite a few sleepers replaced adjacent to the garden.

This has mean that there has been a bit more traffic, much of it you have seen before so I haven't posted any photos but a couple of days ago we had a newbie, to us at least.

51661007631_6440ab722d_o.jpg

51660201092_e0f0534ae3_o.jpg

51661683199_edfdae11f8_o.jpg

51661877865_fe16c6a698_o.jpg

I was aware that they had a class 14, having seen it in the distance while passing through the level crossing at Bedale station a few months ago. It came up light engine last week, but again I only caught a glimpse of it.

Last edited:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Seems right that you should order a Minerva model as they are hopefully due here before Christmas although only available in BR colours, this looks like a rattle can Red Oxide primer jobie! The shed allocation plate looks a bit iffie as well.

Thanks for posting Rob

regards

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Sorry Mike, the only diesel that remotely interests me is the prototype Deltic.
On the other hand I do quite like the NER electrics and petrol railcars.
I have a Judith Edge ES1 to build at some point.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Rob many years ago when I was still living in Acton as a boy I followed the pickfords move of Deltic from Willesden loco shed to the science museum in London, I have a few pictures of it negotiating the east Acton Roundabout and at Shepherds Bush Green they are B/W photos in an Album I could scan them and send them to you.

Michael

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Rob many years ago when I was still living in Acton as a boy I followed the pickfords move of Deltic from Willesden loco shed to the science museum in London, I have a few pictures of it negotiating the east Acton Roundabout and at Shepherds Bush Green they are B/W photos in an Album I could scan them and send them to you.

Michael

Yes please Michael, that would be much appreciated.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Rob I found them, Had I known 60 years ago that I would be scanning and sharing these pictures I might have done a better job of taking them.

This was one of the first shots I think it was near the Willesden loco shed.
img20211108_17460661x3400.jpg
A close up of the steerable road bogie.

img20211108_17440260.jpg I cannot remember where this one was.

img20211108_17424338.jpg
The next one was at the East Acton Roundabout near the Western Avenue if my memory serves me correctly

img20211108_17402718.jpg
The last one was at Shepherds Bush Green

img20211108_17480144x3400.jpg
And since it was 60 years ago my memory of all these spots is a little foggy.

Michael

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Wonderful photos Michael,thanks for taking the time to find and scan them.

The added bonus is that they captured so much more of our everyday history than just the prototype Deltic. Which in itself is fascinating enough but having modelled some cable drums in the past, I was immediately drawn to those on the trucks in the background of the first photo.

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
It's the season for the Polar Express and this year we are being treated to Black 5 45407 The Lancashire Fusilier" passing by on a regular basis.

Sadly the lighting has been terrible here so I have struggled to get any decent photos but here are a couple if I can get any thing any better I will add them in due course. - You can see that I have had a few attempts...

51741709768_265de73b81_o.jpg

51742359950_1beb5c7782_o.jpg

51741809544_339247ffcd_o.jpg

michael mott

Western Thunderer
It must be nice being so close to the line sometimes. When I lived on Perynn road in Acton during the mid 60's we had the electric line from Willesden down to Brentford and on, Used to see a lot of Bullied Austerity's pulling goods.

Michael

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Uncle Harry never made a fuss about his interest in railways. He simply bought a new house adjacent to the Apethorne Junction to Godley line which ran in a cutting at the bottom of the garden. All I knew in those far off days was the locos were generally big with lots of wheels and would almost certainly have been one or other variants of Class 04 2-8-0.

Much later on in life he moved from a palatial home in Gee Cross down to the to Woodley between the railway and a canal. I'm sure he used to phone me when a Sprinter was due 'cos I could hear it!

Grandad, his father, had worked on steam boilers all his life at Adamsons and Beyer-Peacock and it probably no coincidence that his two caravans near Abergele were close by the railway fence.

There's a lot going for it, but probably not the rest of the family! Personally I would like to live a discreet distance away, say Carrog, where I could hear them but not be shaken or stirred out of bed. :D

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Since the railway reopened we have had the odd works train in the form of the Class 37 and the Class 14 has been up light engine but I have missed them each time.

Sadly, this is what passes for Heritage Traction at the minute

51956169803_d3ccbfdcb5_h.jpg

51956695210_0a9fd1b26c_h.jpg

51956115341_3161a7c56e_h.jpg

It feels like we suddenly have the main line at the bottom of the garden...

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Sadly, this is what passes for Heritage Traction at the minute

On the other hand it provides the railway with a servicable unit to enable them to run trains while other locos and stock are in for service.

Who knows, the railway in the future may use it to run daily local revenue services between Leyburn and Northerallerton.

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Joking apart, I think a repaint into all over rail blue with full yellow ends and double arrows would make it quite an appealing proposition.....

Rob R

Western Thunderer
On the other hand it provides the railway with a servicable unit to enable them to run trains while other locos and stock are in for service.

Who knows, the railway in the future may use it to run daily local revenue services between Leyburn and Northerallerton.
I remember many years ago (35+) catching the saturday morning shoppers train from Oxenhope to Keighley in a W&M railbus which at the time was about the same age as your local bendy bus.
Happy days.