ALSRM Reading show - 10 May 2014

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Pretty good turnout today although I seem to have missed Steve and Martyn. I spent a little cash and a lot of time talking; thanks to all who were there it was great to renew acquaintances.

To top it all off I happened to be on a train at Bedminster as Western Champion batted through. Lovely stuff...

Steph

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I have to admit I was pretty tired by the meet up. It was nice to see everyone, though there are still some names I can't connect with faces just yet. I'll get there. It was great to chat with Warren, too. I hope I may be able to push some work his way. I may have picked up another new client, amongst other interesting things.

I spent a lot, but it was all budgeted. A set of wheels and a power unit for the JLTRT WD build, and items like buffers, springs, axle boxes and so on for an upcoming 7mm scale GWR broad gauge coach. I got the paint for that build, too. I collected my MetalSmiths rolling road, which I will review shortly.

All in all, an enjoyable day. I know some don't particularly like the ALSRM show, but I find it interesting to see what the larger scale bods are up to, and sometimes you can pick up useful items you don't see at O gauge dos.

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I a few WT members but had to leave just before 1pm as being under the thumb ish , I bought a couple of wagon kits off Model Express and a book on southern wagons.

Ian G

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Pretty good turnout today although I seem to have missed Steve and Martyn.

Steph

Hi Steph,

I'm afraid Steve could not go in the end and the other friend I was taking was not very well. I could of gone on my own but I do not really need anything in particular at the moment, so maybe next year :(.

ATB,

Martyn.

taliesin

Western Thunderer
Just got back from a long but highly enjoyable day, no incidents with Anglia Roads and i managed to pick up some items to help finish the milk tankers.
Saw various WTers including Steph and we spoke at length about a possible project for his new wizz-bang plastic cutter which will hopefully bear fruit in time.
Predictably there was little of interest amongst the trade stands for Gauge 1 fans but i did manage to look amongst the organised chaos that appears to be the Agenoria stand where i found this,

photo-41.JPG

No big deal to most of you but brake van's in 1/32 are like hen's teeth hiding under rocking horse manure so this should be a good thing. According to the brochure this was drawn to 1/32 and is not a 7mm blow up, RRP £150 all in.

Knowing nothing about this particular manufacturer i purchased from his "bargain box" a set of etches only for his new 1/32 16 ton mineral wagon to see how good the fit is. As suitable wheels and axles already lurk under the work bench if all goes well a cheap wagon joins the fleet and a brake van can be ordered, if it turns out to be rubbish then this is not a huge loss by Gauge 1 standards.

Spotted a mail coach in 1/32 by the Finescale Locomotive Company on the S/H stall but it wasn't there long, recession, what recession :D.

Cheers, Rob

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
Just got back after the long haul up north, pouring rain and Eurovision on the radio, I've had better journeys :)
Nice to put faces to name, and to see my old stamping ground after 20 odd years ( I lived in Reading for 5 years when I used to hit a little white ball around a field for a living)
Lots of interest and about a dozen new customers for painting jobs so a very worthwhile day
Warren

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Steve, Martyn,
Sorry you guys didn't make it, I'll catch up with you next time.

Rob,
Sorry for taking up so much of your time, thanks for putting up listening to me for so long. I think you caught both my enthusiasm and the amount of effort that's gone in to reaching the point where I could 'go public' with the new machine. I appreciate the thoughts and time you gave me about the potential of working in G1.

Steph

Brian Daniels

Western Thunderer
I had a nice day as a demo'er there. I also bought a Peter Clark Southern MLV kit! Yep I am going 3rd rail! Well maybe I won't be putting a juice rail round the garden anytime soon. But I can run it on battery! Just need to get some pictures under one. I see the East Kent Railway has a few of them at Sheperdswell, must take a trip down there by the looks of it.

Thankfully I missed all the rain when packing up to get to the car and the trip back to Oxford.

warren haywood

Western Thunderer
I had a nice day as a demo'er there. I also bought a Peter Clark Southern MLV kit! Yep I am going 3rd rail! Well maybe I won't be putting a juice rail round the garden anytime soon. But I can run it on battery! Just need to get some pictures under one. I see the East Kent Railway has a few of them at Sheperdswell, must take a trip down there by the looks of it.

Thankfully I missed all the rain when packing up to get to the car and the trip back to Oxford.
Hi Brian,
Enjoyed looking at your locos, particularly liked the 40. Also the DJH 47, very nice build.
That was me who came and measured the rolling road against your Deltic as I need one for my Deltic. Hope you didn't mind :)
Warren

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Work continues on the 22 it shouldn't be that far off

We are patiently waiting with bated breath................

Whilst I can find details of the wheel diameter (3' 7"), I have yet to see the number of spokes quoted in any publication, can anybody help please?

cheers

Mike

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Whilst I can find details of the wheel diameter (3' 7"), I have yet to see the number of spokes quoted in any publication, can anybody help please?

Guesstimating from a drawing and some photos, I'd say 10-spoke.

It's always fascinated me why NBL used spoked wheels when all the other builders went for plain disc.

JimG

Western Thunderer
It's always fascinated me why NBL used spoked wheels when all the other builders went for plain disc.

I suspect that they had a suitable sized pattern in their casting shop which had spokes - probably used as a tender and bogie/pony wheel on the numerous steam locos they had built - very Scottish. :)

Jim.