Building an Old Originals Ruston 48DS kit (Gauge 1)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Carpet Monster 1 : Cookie Nil
Soldering Iron 1 : Cookie's finger Nil
Ruston 1 : Rest of Cookie 1 (forcing a draw really, which is a poor show considering its a battle of wits between me and an inanimate object :D )

You know its going to be one of those days when the very first bit you snip off the etch gets eaten by the carpet monster...bugger.

A brief loss of concentration followed by a small brush of the finger against Big Bertha, the 100W iron. Not too bad you may think, unfortunately she'd just warmed up to temp...bugger.

Other than that, my hands seem to not want to do what my brain is asking them to do, hence its been a frustrating day of dropping stuff, attempting to manipulate and solder small brass bits and generally getting a bit annoyed. Nothing to do with the kit, just operator error :oops:

Some successes though, the sand boxes at the front are in place, the steps have been made and soldered in (using a 'spare' from the second kit in the cupboard) whilst the bonnet sides have also been sweated into place (I thought I'd try Bertha out for this, significantly quicker than the 50W iron, until one takes into account the amount of time spent holding finger under cold water :)) )

Steps sandboxes and bonnet sides.JPG

Currently a bit further on than the above photo, will update later

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Chain adjusters, engine starting shafts, footplate top covers and top bonnet hinge soldered on. Unfortunately, rear buffer beam, cab sides and cab rear unsoldered :oops: Bugger.

Oh Bugger.JPG

I wasn't happy with the alignment of everything when it came to trial fitting the roof - somehow I had managed to get the cab rear slightly lower than the front, thus the roof sloped up towards the front. A quick ponder, then out with the iron and all of the above components were removed - they've all been cleaned up ready for round two this morning...

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
All back together again :)
Not quite perfect, but as close as I can get. Ended up unsoldering the floor from its risers, soldering the cab sides onto the cab front, adding the cab rear, then used the floor to keep everything aligned as that was soldered back on. A quick check with a couple of rulers shows the cab rear is about 0.25mm lower than the front, that'll probably be masked by my attempts to form the roof anyway :D Rear buffer beam and guard irons back on too, and making a guest appearance at top left is my modelling light which decided to break this morning, ho hum...

Back together again.JPG

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Steve,

Nice to see you got some time off this year! I'm enjoying watching your build almost as much as I'm enjoying building my carriages. I'm completely lost as to how big this loco is, what are the rough dimensions?

Nice clean work though, your soldering/cleaning up is very neat. :thumbs:

Cheers,

Steph

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Steve,
Nice to see you got some time off this year! I'm enjoying watching your build almost as much as I'm enjoying building my carriages. I'm completely lost as to how big this loco is, what are the rough dimensions?
Nice clean work though, your soldering/cleaning up is very neat. :thumbs:
Hi Steph
Had to wait until the end of the year to get it, but very much enjoying it :) Next year looks even worse (time off wise anyway!) - you on your hols too I take it? Pleased you've enjoyed the thread so far, I need to go back and catch up your carriage building, had a skim read last night and amazed at the speed of progress! Nice work too :thumbs: John's already posted dimensions of the Ruston, but have a piccie which might help as well

Dr Pepper.JPG

As for my soldering, well its mainly clean up work Steph :D I do get through a lot of fibreglass sticks, but the soldering is getting better, learning to use less solder makes it much easier.

Right, back to fixing the modelling light...

Steve

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Modelling light cobbled back together, bulb for said light now broken. Its another one of those days, so I've played with the roof and just cleaned the Ruston up, reckon that was the safest course of action :oops:

I tried to form the roof as per the instructions, but couldn't get very good curves at the ends using my former. Second attempt involved annealing the roof and trying the curves again - much better this time round :) The copper wire provided in the kit was straightened (one end held in vice, the loose end in a pair of pliers - gently pull until you feel the wire start to stretch and lovely job, straight wire) and then wrapped around and soldered into the half etched recess on the roof edge. A quick bit of filing to dress the edges and a scrub in Viakal, followed by a good going over with Cif and a wash.

The Ruston body was given the same Viakal / Cif treatment, another session with the fibreglass brush to remove the bits of solder and another scrub and wash in Cif.

Roof Stage 1.JPG

Simon

Flying Squad
Modelling light cobbled back together, bulb for said light now broken. Its another one of those days, so I've played with the roof and just cleaned the Ruston up, reckon that was the safest course of action :oops:

I tried to form the roof as per the instructions, but couldn't get very good curves at the ends using my former. Second attempt involved annealing the roof and trying the curves again - much better this time round :) The copper wire provided in the kit was straightened (one end held in vice, the loose end in a pair of pliers - gently pull until you feel the wire start to stretch and lovely job, straight wire) and then wrapped around and soldered into the half etched recess on the roof edge. A quick bit of filing to dress the edges and a scrub in Viakal, followed by a good going over with Cif and a wash.

The Ruston body was given the same Viakal / Cif treatment, another session with the fibreglass brush to remove the bits of solder and another scrub and wash in Cif.

View attachment 8208

That looks really good!

What colour are you going to paint it?:p

Simon

leaving da shop....

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
One day Steve, if it drinks all it's diesel, it'll grow up to be a big boy.

:D Think I shall need to force feed it to get it to grow that large :)

No further progress on the Ruston, too many other things requiring attention yesterday. Hopefully squeeze in another session to tidy the roof up and prepare some of the whitemetal castings today though..

alcazar

glad to be of help.

How are you these days, keeping well I trust?

cheers

Mike

Sciatica now, had it 8 months.:(
But they have now FINALLY decided on an MRI scan with a view towards surgical intervention.....:)

So, all in all, mustn't grumble.

I've had a good look at that site, pics I've not seen before, but, wouldn't you know it, ALL of 97650, which was the first one built, and different to the others. have a guess which one the kit represents?

Steve Cook: looking at the Ruston cab, it has two lines of rivets down the cab outer rearsides and side rear: would there have been an angle iron there to support it? And rivet it to?
Is there one on the model?

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Hi alcazar
Steve Cook: looking at the Ruston cab, it has two lines of rivets down the cab outer rearsides and side rear: would there have been an angle iron there to support it? And rivet it to?
Simply put, yes. There was angle iron in each vertical joint between cab front and rear and the sides. There was also a plate which straddled the joint between upper and lower panels on the cab front and cab rear. The prototype photos I have show both rivets and bolts used in these locations, I'm unsure as to what was used in the original production of the loco (it may well have been a combination).
Is there one on the model?
No. This one is straight out of the box, no tweaks or embelishments (although to be fair I will try and add glazing). I'm saving that level of detail for the more open cabbed kit which will follow :)
Steve

S

Simon Dunkley

A little bit of prototype inspiration, from Flickar via the other place...

5557656799_e29eceb0f8_o.png

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Nice photo that, cheers for posting it Simon :thumbs:

A bit of progress on the Ruston today, turned down the other pair of wheels and got the chassis up and running :)
By using a longer than required delrin chain between both axles, I've been able to hook up the top and bottom runs so its almost completely out of sight.

No delrin chain.JPG

I'd got as far as fitting a DCC chip with the hope of playing 'Wireless Wacky Rustons' with Simon over the Camrail weekend, but I can't read back the CV's from it, I think it might be kaput :( I've checked the wiring upteen times, pinned it all out and still can't see what the problem is, so I've wired her up for good old DC and let her loose in the garden instead :D

In the garden1.JPG

Some running in required (!) and it looks utterly lost amongst the trees...brilliant :D

Dave

Western Thunderer
It'll look even better with some paint on it. :) Deep Bronze Green was the factory colour, the same as old Land Rovers. Colour 224 on the old BS 381c chart IIRC.

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
It'll look even better with some paint on it. :)
Agreed :D Still some way to go yet though, want it running quietly and well first...
Deep Bronze Green was the factory colour, the same as old Land Rovers. Colour 224 on the old BS 381c chart IIRC.
Hear that Simon, you painted yours the wrong green :p :D