Prototype Can anyone identify Where & When?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Oh if it were only that simple, it's not Leeds engine shed junction, different bridge and the houses on the right should be a grass embankment, plus right in the middle of the photo should be Holbecks coaling tower.

Looking at the track work it's a pair of main lines that split after the bridge, those on the left swing left to pass in front of the sheds in the back ground, those to the right continue to swing right. Given the height, or lack of to the houses on the right, looks like second floor windows to me....bungalows are very rare at inner cities....and what looks like wooden boarding between the two nearest tracks and what looks like a bridge beam at extreme right your looking for a hilly location with an over and under bridge in close proximity and near a junction.

If you lighten the image, I suspect you'll also find what looks like steel bridge decking between the right of way on the nearest track.

The games afoot Mt Watson.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Oh b****r! I thought this was going to be so simple.

So, based on the loco's known shed allocations it's either somewhere around Leeds or maybe Derbyshire.

45611.  Location and Date Unknown.  Possibly Leeds Holbeck - Copy - Copy.jpg

I've lightened it up. Not sure it helps. Just so you know this scan is the entire negative area, unmasked, so nothing more to see outside the edges of the picture here.

B

JimG

Western Thunderer
Is that a road or rail underbridge in the foreground where the rail changes from flat-bottom to bullhead, and back to flat bottom in the near distance, with some sort of decking in the four foot and six foot ways? There also appears to be a short section of girder bridge on the extreme right in front of the loco.

Jim.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your thoughts, Mick and Jim.

As far as the allocaions of 45611 are concerned my own records show:

Apr/May 57 16A Nottingham
Nov/Dec 57 16A Nottingham
Apr/May 58 16A Nottingham
Nov/Dec 59 16A Nottingham
May/Jun 64 16C Derby

My initial allocation data was from http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=S&id=106629&loco=45611

1/1/47. 20A Holbeck (Midland) Snapshot
18/11/61. 17B Burton
26/1/63. 17A Derby
Withdrawn 19/9/64

Looking through the shed bash data this doesn't seem to cut across the data above.

So... your suggestion that the loco may be associated with the Nottingham area seems to be most likely.

Best regards.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here are three more about which I have suspicions as yet unconfirmed. I have another of a B1 which is definitely in Doncaster Station so I'm not bothering you with that one! These photos look a bit scrappy at the moment as they have yet to be post processed - in fact the one of 60089 and also that of 60851 both have an element of camera shake but are pleasing for all that.

60079 with 60090.  1000 dpi.jpg

I've identified this as follows: 60079 with 60090. Centre loco not identified. Location and Date Unknown. Photographer Unknown. For what it's worth I'm wondering whether the location could be on the way into Edinburgh Princes Street. 60090 was a St Margarets engine around 1960. 60079 was at Carlisle Canal up to withdrawal in 1961 so could it have worked a train to Edinburgh?

60089.  1000 dpi.jpg

My notes are sparse on this one. 60089. Poss Doncaster. Date Unknown. Photographer Unknown.

There are a few people about with notebooks which suggest it may have been a works open day. There's no sign of any fitters either so it may well have been a weekend. Regrettably I never made it to Doncaster Works so my only basis for this bold assumption is that it looks like a large works, and it's clearly dealing with LNER locos.

60851.  1000 dpi.jpg

I'm equally sketchy on this one which I have as 60851. Location and Date Unknown. Photographer Unknown.

68478 which may be stationary or may be moving past the V2 was a Haymarket loco as far as I can see, which would likely put this shot somewhere in the Edinburgh area as an 0-6-0 tank loco would probably not have travelled too far from it's home shed. However, to put the cat among the pigeons this J83 was withdrawn as early as 1958.

This therefore suggests that the pictures were taken earlier than 1960 as they all came from a single source although I recognise that this may not necessarily be so as the photos could have been taken on several different visits, and the one of Doncaster (if that's where it is) would certainly have been on a different date.

Once again all and any thoughts will be valued.

Brian

demu1037

Western Thunderer
Brian,

Apart from a dividing wall, this looks like the same place as 60089 - Doncaster, it had 9 overhauls there between Oct 50 & Oct 61 plus a couple of casuals & non classified repairs

IMG_4040.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Reid

Western Thunderer
Photo's 1 & 3 Brian are both Edinburgh - No.1 at Princes Street Gardens to the West of Edinburgh Waverley with 3 loco's on their way from Haymarket MPD (See the top of the Scott Monument in the distance), and No.2 is inside the Waverley at the West End with a departure from 19 (probably for the North at Platform 1 & 19) with the North British Hotel in the background.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Hi Tim.

I'm pleased it brings back some happy memories. As for my photo archive, well, I didn't know this was Platform 4 so have added a bit more to the photo description. Many thanks.

Brian

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Here's the latest one. Any thoughts?

61852.  Location & Date Unnown - 1000dpi.jpg

The only thing I can tell for certain is that the loco is 61852.

As ever, all and every advice will be appreciated.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Easy,

It's Grimsby, it's a special train arriving at Grimsby, to the right in the back ground are the carriage sidings, to the left is Harrington Street, the houses still stand remarkable unchanged and the gap between the two terrances leads to one of the entrances at Grimsby Town Football Club stadium, just out of picture to the left.

Just behind the photographer would be the footbridge from Harrington Street to the Promanade. Only the running lines remain here now, everything to the right of the loco has long since been removed.

I'll screen shot an aerial view from Bing later when I get home.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Thanks again Mick.

The guy who took all these photos certainly got around a bit! I'd no clue at all it was Grimsby.

Best regards.

Brian

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Brian,

Actually you have, you posted a photo up a while ago of a black five at Cleethorpes, taken from virtually the same spot but looking the other way with Harrington Street to the right ;)

All the best

MD

Last edited: