Cessy-en-Bois: Une petite gare de triage

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning Chris.
I do enjoy your updates and I have to say they are eagerly awaited.

This looks lovely. Nicely weathered. Just right.

Stick with it. Weathering is a good thing. Frustrating at times but good to do. You learn something every time you have a go and that can't be bad.

Rob.

Wot he said...

allegheny1600

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris,
As they say in France "Meh har duh" - that is truly terrific modelling!
At the very least, that van could be 0 or even 1 scale, it is very hard to really tell the actual scale. For me, the highlights are the greasy buffer shanks and the way the paint has flaked off the rust, Mmmm!
John.

Alan

Western Thunderer
Superb, I spell it French but after 4 failures at O level some 57 years ago I can't remember if there is an "e" on the end.

chrisb

Western Thunderer
Many thanks!

Another Ree Modeles fourgon, but this time for use on the voie de service which will serve as a distraction (?annoyance) when puzzle shunting:
IMG_0843.jpeg

IMG_0842.jpeg

IMG_0841.jpeg

The model came with always-on tail lights at one end but I added lights to the other end and an ESU function decoder to provide more control. I forgot to turn them on for the photographs but the fourgon will appear again in a small video later on, once I've weathered an electric loco to haul it.

But first I must weather the last two wagons for puzzle shunting...

chrisb

Western Thunderer
Thank you for all the kind comments and likes.

I'm a bit distracted with other projects at present but I'm making intermittent progress weathering a Roco BB 910 destined for appearances on the voie de service.

Out of the box, the body is an odd fir green colour which screamed plastic toy to me but I've managed to modify it with a selection of MiG acrylic greens for, hopefully, a more bleached look:
IMG_0886.jpeg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
I hope you will excuse the post, Chris but these images may inspire. No idea who the modeller is....I've previously posted it on my own thread and have to say I'm very much a fan of this 'look' .

Rob.

View attachment 124527 View attachment 124528 View attachment 124529
That is an interesting example, but to my eye is less convincing than Chris's weathering work in this thread. I have a problem with the hyperreal weathering currently favoured by military modellers. It is not the techniques, which are all useful, but the apparent lack of observation of how the prototypes weathered and appeared at different times. Too often the weathering is used to emphasise detail on a model which on a prototype is barely visible. I am thinking of panel lines and flush rivets on planes, and plate work joints on tanks. My personal view is that weathering on a model shouldn't be the first thing noticed when looking at a model, the whole model needs to look right then the finishes and weathering become apparent on further consideration. This isn't saying that weathering should be subtle but that it should look natural and follow the logic of how the prototype patina developed. Using the electric above as an example, if the loco looks that work stained I would expect the roof to be well blackened by the carbon from the strips in the pantograph, and copper and lubricant from the overhead dropping onto the roof. The rusty stains on the body side don't look convincing to me, the fading of the paint suggests that the body has been washed at intervals which would leave dirt and rust from brake block dust around rivets etc but less spreading onto the panels. The amount of muck thrown up from the track onto bogies etc depends on the speed it runs at and whether there are mud holes in the track, or dusty ballast. It is a personal thing. For me, weathering is part of telling a story and aiming to create a representation of how things were/are in miniature as accurately as I can.

Just found an image online to illustrate the point. Similar level of decrepitude to the model. Notice the heavier markings on the lower bodyside below the spaces between the louvres - the result of the filth from the roof running down the sides except where the louvres have made the dirty water drip off away from the body panels. The rivets are visible but not emphasised. Run off from window cleaning fluid below the drivers window. Overall a lot to go to town with while weathering. Look at the reasons for the patterns seen, replicate it instead of adding random brown stains and the model will look even better.
sncf bb 1646.jpg