From Llangunllo to Llanbister Rd.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thank you Brian,

The original idea (plot) was to leave the embankments as bare and exposed rough grass in an attempt to catch a feeling of remoteness which is so typical of parts of mid Wales.

1455 with a short goods train.JPG
This is the sort of thing that I had in mind with trains looking lost in the landscape but I sort of got carried away :)

Geoff

Western Thunderer
To bring the curtain down on Llangunllo I've included a few photos of the diesels, the layout isn't being scrapped just yet but I am planning something new and even simpler in the form of a couple of diorama's. To be honest I've grown tired of operating layouts and am now content just to model a particular scene do a little photography.

P1120287 (800x470).jpg

P1120288 (800x513).jpg

P1120295 (800x347).jpg

P1120304 (800x402).jpg

Alan

Western Thunderer
"To be honest I've grown tired of operating layouts and am now content just to model a particular scene do a little photography."

In which case with your skills Geoff we definitely will not be able to tell if they are models or prototype photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff

Western Thunderer
"To be honest I've grown tired of operating layouts and am now content just to model a particular scene do a little photography."

In which case with your skills Geoff we definitely will not be able to tell if they are models or prototype photos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice of you to say so but I can assure you that there is no skill involved Alan, I just point the camera in more or less the right direction and hope for the best :)

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Having just looked at your blog Geoff, I can't wait to see that scene progress.

You mean this one ? Hopefully the diorama will look better than the sketch ?
Scan_20150926 (2) (800x785).jpg

Its early days yet Alan and just one of many ideas floating around in my head, I've plotted it out full size on some lining paper and it fits the space available with ease. At the moment I'm building a 2mm scale mock up from card and will then decide whether to go ahead or not.

John Miller

Western Thunderer
..........Anyway moving on, I'm not sure how the following photos are going to go down because I've added a little life in the form of a few figures from the excellent Montys range. Normally I avoid adding figures because they are difficult to paint, have to be chosen carefully and its so easy to add too many, I will leave it to you to decided if I've avoided those pitfalls

I've just looked through this thread for the first time and and I would just like to add to all the richly deserved accolades posted, by saying it is one of the most believably realistic layouts I have seen - congratulations!

I think perhaps the two things that stand out most for me are - 1) the way the tone of the misty blueness of the back drop is just exactly right to capture the sense of distance and - 2) the way that all the pictures without figures make it so easy to suspend the belief that it's not real and just appreciate them as real life 12":1ft scenes. As soon as the static figures are introduced it becomes just another model layout - albeit one of the best I've seen.

I think I've just realised why I don't really like static figures in trains - they detract from the illusion of reality and make them look like models .... :)

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thank you John,

Its a difficult balancing act when it come to figures, like you I don't like them in trains but they can inject a little life and help to tell a story on the layout.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I've been pondering a few ideas as regards my planned diorama, so out came a roll of lining paper and this is what I've come up with, its roughly based on my previous sketch of Talybont-on-Usk.

Diorama plans (800x310).jpg

The idea is to model the rear of the dairy, the curve is far gentler than what you see here, its been exaggerated due to cropping the original photo.

P1120340 (800x219).jpg

The space available is 3ft 6" x 18" but could easily be extended should the need arise, the next stage was to build a rough half size mock up from scrap card just to see how things might look. I've not included the dairy siding as I just want to get a rough feel for the scene at this stage.

Diorama 1 (800x251).jpg

Rather than model the canal as per the prototype my model would feature the River Lugg further down stream. As usual I painted the river bed then stippled neat PVA over it, once dry a few coats of clear yacht varnish were applied

D6 (800x339).jpg
Please excuse the rough and ready scenery, it is after all a simple mock up and nothing more...

D7 (800x329).jpg
Finally the bridges have been painted and a couple of simple building shells made, I've no intention of modelling the real place but am simply using it for inspiration.

D8 (800x257).jpg

I've a couple of other projects on the go at the moment so it will be a while before I build the real thing.

Attachments

• P1120345 (800x251).jpg
    P1120345 (800x251).jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 7

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I would like to start by thanking you all for your interest in yet another simple idea, the diorama would represent the area beyond the scenic break in the photo below. The milk tanks are on the end of the siding just before the line crosses over the first bridge as per the trackplan.

P1110531 (800x536).jpg

I love the fact that your rough and ready scenery is about as good as my finished scenery ever gets! :bowdown:

I find that hard to believe Heather, you should see the dodgy bits which wouldn't support an ant ;)

Kettle's on, fire stoked and comfy armchair drawn up. Looking forward to this one!
Simon

Sorry to disappoint you Simon but the fire will have gone out and your brew will have gone cold before you see any further progress. :)

It was the 'knocked together' river that got me - perfectly executed scrap in a nanosecond:)
Richard

I just got lucky with the river Richard but thanks all the same :)

Just wondering if you could knock up a rough outline of Seahouses for me :)

Would you be wanting 'smelloscenics' as well or just the basic job ? :D Apologies if that has caused offence but I always remember the place for its strong smell of seaweed and fish & chips. Seriously it wouldn't take you long to create a half or quarter size mock up from scrap card and whatever else you can find.

Simon Glidewell

Western Thunderer
All achieved with your usual aplomb Geoff! The Talybont-on-Usk diorama will certainly be a 3D Ben Ashworth manifestation.

Cheers
Simon

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thank you Simon,

Alas, due to a period of ill health, and the surgery which followed, those plans, and ideas have been shelved. Instead, I have decided to simply rework the old layout, so its been a case of stripping everything back to basics, in hope of creating a railway lost in the landscape.

P1130375 (800x401).jpg

This is the picture that I had in my minds eye, rather than an embankment behind the coal wagons, there will be just a slightly raised area of ground, which will be covered in long grass.

P1130382 (800x346).jpg

Green Grove sidings inspired the thinking behind this scene, the cassette deck lies beyond the bridge. The deck itself will be surrounded by the backscene and part scenic, only a small part of the dairy will be modelled.

P1130536 (800x315).jpg

The baseboard has been reduced to its original width, which brings the embankment back into play, and also makes the layout look longer.

P1130590 (800x373).jpg

I've been experimenting with a Noch grass mat, and though it shows promise, the colour is going to need changing to suit my restricted palette. The bridge is scratch built from 3mm 'Foamex', and styrene sheet.

P1130708 (800x600).jpg

Track is once again made from ply sleepers, individual plastic chairs, and ballasted with Carr's ash. The section above having been salvaged from the old layout. New point rodding made from Modelu stools, MSE square section wire, and Brassmasters cranks will shortly replace the Will's plastic components in this photo.

P1130698 (800x365).jpg
The dairy branch has now been lifted, and replaced with a single siding, whilst the site of the old goods siding has now become a loop. Its not a crossing loop though, as it is mainly used to store milk tanks, a short platform capable of holding two 57ft coaches with ease, can just been seen to the rear of the coach.

P1130699 (800x341).jpg

A simple corrugated iron goods shed, based on the one which once stood at Hemyock will be sited to the left of the yard crane. The station building will be based on a slightly larger version, of the one which stood at Dolyhir on the New Radnor branch. I'll be using the same backscene again, but slightly realigned, the original suffered some damage during the strip down.

P1130700 (800x248).jpg

The dairy is now situated beyond the over bridge to the far right, its not being modelled in full, as its situated on the Titley Junction cassette deck. Its there just to add a little hint of what lies beyond, a wrap around back scene will help to complete the illusion. The dairy, also conveniently hides the Cobalt lever frame.

P1130674 (800x503).jpg

The Llanbister Road end of the layout has now been opened up, the river has been dredged, and diverted. A new bridge has been constructed, and the lane realigned. There's thirty coats of gloss yacht varnish between the river banks, which are still being worked up as I type this.

P1130712 (800x401).jpg
Well that more or less brings things up to date.

Last edited: