Liver & Fry's workbench

GER covered goods vans

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
OK, so I might have found something else to do instead...

There's a photo that was posted on the GERS members forum a while back showing GER van No.32379 in what appears to be a staged ex-works view. The van has been embellished with white tyres and black ironwork on the bodyside - Not a common feature on the standard livery for these vans, but, an excuse for me to make something of the final Oxford Rail van I've yet to find a use for...

This'll be quite a quick job (well, until I have to pick out the ironwork...) and so far this afternoon I have already corrected the Morton brakes, repainted the solebars on the chassis, removed the bodyside numbers and repainted the ends of the van as seen below (glistening because the paint is still wet)

20240312_221042.jpg

Oh and I've also been working on something else today alongside this, but more on that tomorrow!

- James

Last edited:
GNR open wagons

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Another job done!

With the most welcomed assistance from @Overseer (thank you once again!) who kindly made up and provided me with a set of correct/appropriate GNR wagon transfers, I have finally been able to finish off my pair of GNR wagons:

20240313_201125.jpg
20240313_201258.jpg

I'm really pleased with how they've turned out and the correctly proportioned GN on the Dia.24 really makes the difference compared to my, er, bodge that I'd attempted previously!

- James

GER covered goods vans

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Progress has also been made on No.32379 since yesterday, with the chassis being refitted, the tyres being painted white and a start made on the fiddly task of picking out the bodyside ironwork in black... One side has been done so far, but I couldn't resist a photo!

20240313_213306.jpg

I'll do the other side tomorrow and then I'll likely do the numbers on Saturday.

- James

Suffolk Dave

Western Thunderer
Progress has also been made on No.32379 since yesterday, with the chassis being refitted, the tyres being painted white and a start made on the fiddly task of picking out the bodyside ironwork in black... One side has been done so far, but I couldn't resist a photo!

View attachment 211364

I'll do the other side tomorrow and then I'll likely do the numbers on Saturday.

- James
Nice work!

GER covered goods vans

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Spot the difference!

20240315_213731.jpg

A day early but who's complaining eh?

Since last time, I've repainted the roof an off white, painted the door mechanisms black and added the running numbers to the bodysides and solebars.

With No.32379 is done, this marks my 6th (and to my knowledge, final) rendition of "everything you can make with an Oxford Rail GE van" - It had better be anyway as I've now run out of spare one to mess around with!

Hopefully this particular mini-series has been interesting and insightful! I've certainly had fun!

- James

HR Jones 8T Goods Van

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Hi all!

I was taking a short pause from modelling after my run of wagon building previously, thinking I'd start something new after the York show, but, I found myself with little to do last night and so I've started on something I've been keen to build - A HR Jones 8T goods van.

This was a fortuitous find on a well known auction site, consisting of a resin body, some MJT W-Irons and some white metal components (HR buffers and axleboxes). The resin body is, I believe, a product of the Highland Railway Society.

So far I have cleaned the body and painted it in an undercoat of grey:

20240326_211253.jpg

It seems to be a straight forward build, but I'm also in no rush to finish this one. I want to take my time learning how to put W-Irons together and making sure I get it right. Probably sounds silly, but it's all new to me!

- James

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Hi all!

I was taking a short pause from modelling after my run of wagon building previously, thinking I'd start something new after the York show, but, I found myself with little to do last night and so I've started on something I've been keen to build - A HR Jones 8T goods van.

This was a fortuitous find on a well known auction site, consisting of a resin body, some MJT W-Irons and some white metal components (HR buffers and axleboxes). The resin body is, I believe, a product of the Highland Railway Society.

So far I have cleaned the body and painted it in an undercoat of grey:

View attachment 212243

It seems to be a straight forward build, but I'm also in no rush to finish this one. I want to take my time learning how to put W-Irons together and making sure I get it right. Probably sounds silly, but it's all new to me!

- James
I think that is one of Simon de Souza's patterns. Not sure if you have found my Highland Railway wagon thread, this may be of use - #33

HR Jones 8T Goods Van New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Posting this while I'm riding the high...

Progress has been made on the Jones van, and for me, this feels big: W-Irons!

20240328_232118.jpg

Tonight was my first foray into working with brass, and soldering, during which I was able to put together some MJT W-Irons; one fixed and one as a compensation unit. All whilst under the guidance, over a video call, by @Herb Garden (who has been pestering me for years to take this first step and, in all honesty, I wouldn't have done it without him and his encouragement, so thank you!). And I know this must sound silly, me getting this excited over one set of W-Irons, but honestly, I'm so pleased with myself! I genuinely feel I've achieved something. They're not perfect. I quickly learnt things as and when I made mistakes. But I did it! And now I know I can do it again, and surely the only way is up, right?

I've also painted the body in red oxide since last time:

20240327_201842.jpg

Weight has also been added internally.

I suddenly feel like this might get done quicker than I expected, although I do need to source some appropriate brake gear. I'll be at the York show on Saturday so I'll see what's available there...

- James

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
James, I think you have done really well to work out what to do through a video call. I needed a 1:1 demonstration at a show.

Well done, and enjoy building your models.

Herb Garden

Western Thunderer
James, I think you have done really well to work out what to do through a video call. I needed a 1:1 demonstration at a show.

Well done, and enjoy building your models.
Believe me it was as hard for the teacher as the pupil.... We were only using phones so how much we could each see of what each other was doing was minimal.... Still it worked!

Well done James!

Midland D.299 New

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
Whilst digging out the soldering iron the other day, I managed to find the box for the Slaters D.299 I previously built which contains the transfer sheet with Midland numberplates on. As such, one of my Bank Holiday Monday modelling jobs has been to finish off the Mousa kit I recently built:

20240401_201127.jpg

The number was selected on the basis that that's the one they used on the box!

- James

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
The main focus for the day however has been Highland stock - plural!

I've made a good amount of progress over the weekend on the Jones van, having picked up some wagon springs and (cosmetic) drawhooks at the York show on Saturday. These have been fitted, along with the axlebox covers provided in the kit. I've then painted all the ironwork black accordingly:

20240331_210625.jpg
20240401_211354.jpg

It's really starting to look the part I think! There's just a few areas to work on:

- A roof (presumably plasticard curved to shape)
- Brake gear, which I will source from the Highland Society once I'm able to sort my membership
- Buffers; a set were supplied with the kit but these are the later Drummond type. I'm not sure if buffer shanks would have been swapped during a wagons lifetime so I'm trying to source something that looks representative of the earlier Jones style, and then I'll compare and decide which I prefer. I had brought some buffers with this in mind at York but they weren't quite right.

All this talk of buffers made me realise I may have made a mistake on my open wagons - It would appear buffer shanks are meant to be black, not red like the body (and not red like I'd painted them...) so all six came out today for correcting!

20240401_200926.jpg

It was nice to have them all out and to see the van beginning to look the part alongside them. Still need to source a brake van though...

- James

Liver & Fry

Western Thunderer
I found a fourth job to do on the Jones van:

20240402_223417.jpg

Safety chains! Spares handily sourced from the detail pack of a non-skirted Rapido C53 (which I should probably post my repaint of at some point?).

I drilled two small holes in each bufferbeam, ran my adhesive through with a thin bit of wire and gently pushed the lug of the eyes through once I'd correctly orientated the hooks. I think they'll make for a nice finishing touch once the build is complete!

- James