Paradise Bottom

D6331

Western Thunderer
20220821_233411.jpgMany years before taking up the ministry in the village of Titfield, the Rev Weech once took a month sabbatical to Barry Island.
A favourite location for many during "miners fortnight", at Whitmore Bay and the vast beach, he found it heaving with excursionists, many having arrived by special train.
With a craving for lava bread, cockles and whelks, young Weech was soon enchanted by all that Barry Island had to offer..
Local whelk seller Myfanwy Pilchard was well known on the beach and promenade.
She had a certain aura about her and many a visitor to Butlins or one of the many bustling B&Bs would spend more on her fresh whelks in one day than they would in the penny arcades in a week; shameful as that sounds..

.. To be continued..

D6331

Western Thunderer
In his youth that fellow Weech,
Liked nothing better than a good sandy beach.
With small case packed and handkerchief knotted,
A letter to Butlins carefully blotted.
He set off by train from Limpley Stoke,
And being a quite retiring bloke,
soon found Barry more than expected with cockles and whelks that Myfanwy perfected.
A fortnight there was bracing and cheap,
And lucky old Weech got a kiss on the cheek..

D6331

Western Thunderer

This footage is from 8 years ago & clearly does not conform to modern day Health & Safety nor Elf in Pastry standards as set out in Article 12, Paragraph 4 which clearly states something or other.

What is does do might amuse some or possibly annoy others.

Ear plugs at the ready?

D6331

Western Thunderer
Lazing on a Thursday afternoon.. reading & thinking micro thoughts.
Lucky enough to have 3 of Carl's books.
Apparently the square foot in OO/HO could be achieved in a size of .... 5" x 6".
Now "that" has got me thinking..
Oh dear.

Stock Sock Box

D6331

Western Thunderer
This is the Paradise Bottom
"Stock Box".
It is originally a sock box for some "Fenchurch" socks that I received one Christmas (or Birthday).
Don't get me wrong; I like socks as presents, one can never have too many socks.
A good comfortable sock in the right circumstance can bring pleasure to the day,
I always say.
Within the Box is all the stock required for PB.
More detailed information to follow.

20220825_182813.jpg

Roaming Wagon

D6331

Western Thunderer
Late last evening I recalled an event from 2011 whereby a Gn15 wagon that had been built by the late Carl Arendt, was sent around the world.
Carl had built the Sidelines wagon and given it to a chap called Ben in New Zealand.
Gavin Sowry and Ben asked on the Gnatterbox forum, who would be interested in having the wagon visit, take a few photos and then post the wagon on et cetera. There was a lot of interest and so the wagon began its journey in November 2011 in New Zealand before heading to Australia. By January 2012 it had trundled around 20 layouts before heading to the UK. It arrived with me on 30th January and after posing in front of the lens the little wagon headed off to Essex. By then it had travelled over 24.000 km.
With Gerry Bullock it appeared at Shepton Mallet then went to the Rainhill Show then off to the Isle of Man. By end of March 2012 it was back in NZ for the Model Railway Convention that Easter. Late April and it had arrived in Canada then to USA before being posted to Germany where it spent a long time touring finally arriving back home in NZ that November; a year after its journey started and having travelled twice around the world.
(It featured in a podcast of The Model Railway Show in Feb 2012 where Gavin Sowry was interviewed about its adventure and there were plans for a book..)

Pictures I took of the little wagon on its visit to Cardiff.20220826_133044.jpg20220826_133121.jpg

Last edited:

D6331

Western Thunderer
PB Stock.

It dawned on me quite early on that a small Locomotive of some sort would be required to shunt the skip waggon from loader to tipper.
I had read about the Underground Ernie inspection vehicle by Bachmann and how well it ran. They were apparently being "snapped up" for the useful chassis so I "got in quick" and bought one (approx £25 I think)
The locomotive was a funny little thing with a rubber Ernie chap as driver. It ran perfectly though and was soon dismantled.
Coffee/tea wood stirrers and some card were cut to size and glued on and a few "details" added and behold...
just like Victor Frankenstein,
I had created a thing of beauty, oft misunderstood and ridiculed but goes to and fro as required with the use of electrical current. 20220825_182830.jpg20220825_182851.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
Despite its looks, the prime mover of PB has a complex set of controls.
Nobody is exactly sure what "fuel" is put into the drum that also provides a "comfortable" seat for Ernie.
Two planks of wood help support his tweed slippers.
Despite once having run on the UndergrounD, the three red knob topped levers are essential in controlling speed, braking and lighting of a pipe. Nobody is sure in which order these levers are to be operated but the "trial and error" method has yet to fail completely.
The bell is only to be used in an emergency and occasionally on a Saturday afternoon after dusk.
The exhaust pipe was originally much longer but it was realised on the inaugural run to be far too tall to enter the Loading Establishment so was hastily shorted with a pair of secateurs.
Bees are often found inside the engine compartment.

20220827_191102.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
Does 'Paradise Bottom' refer to the young lady in post 21? ;):(:D:rolleyes:

I had to ask!

Not on Sundays.

I was though rather intrigued by several things: celestine mining and the building of Leigh Court with use of a 2' gauge railway.

Also mentioned in "Incline Planes of the South West", an excellent book by Martin Bodman.

D6331

Western Thunderer
Waggons & Their Uses.

PB needs just the one skip waggon in order to drag itself reluctantly through the required operations of its existence.
The Skip is firstly pushed with hopeful anticipation into the unnecessarily large building where loading takes place.
The load usually consists of stone that is required for the huge garden rockery at The Big House, an unstately home owned by Lord and Lady Spokeshave.
For every skip load of good stone, there are three loads of bad stone; this is deemed to be stone of the wrong shape, colour or smell by the Spokeshave entitled. This is reluctantly used though as footings for the new Winter Gardens that they have decided upon or is given as Christmas presents in and around the nearby hamlet of Much Dithering.
Once fully loaded but not too full as that requires extra power from Ernie and the Locomotive, the skip is pulled back and after some unseen fiddling is then propelled towards the Tipping Point.
Upon approach to the Tipping Point, speed is reduced to match that of a sleepy slug that wished it hadn't bothered to get up that morning at 5am in order to shave and see if there was any cabbage left.
As the Skip is inched forward the edge of it comes into contact with the Tipping Point and with luck tips itself with all the grace and determination of a wave crashing down on a beach at Tywyn or maybe Great Yarmouth on a weekday afternoon.
The reversing Locomotive drags the Skip thoughtfully back to repeat the operation or more often than not to pause for Earl Grey; who has happened to pop in and see what's going on as he likes "playing trains".

The Skip Waggon can be seen here, on the right in the photograph. (Use of the Other Waggon, seen on the left, will be described on another day)

20220825_182924.jpg

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Oh, how I love your missives, Roger. You should write a book.....

I'm looking forward to the next episode in hopeful anticipation.

Brian

D6331

Western Thunderer
Waggons & Their Uses. (ii)

At the insistence of Lord Spokeshave, a wooden bodied waggon was purchased and reluctantly put into service. Originally it was of the 3 plank variety but on its first morning of operation, as it was slowly pushed (or shunted) towards the Unnecessarily Large Building, Driver Ernie being as astute as ever, (always on the lookout for an excuse to stop) realised that it was too tall to fit under the entrance.
Applying the emergency brake handle by throwing it forwards and under the wheels, disaster was averted. The waggon was removed to the local sawmill and reduced in height by "one plank off all round please".
Now the waggon is used for lumps of celestine, a precious load indeed.

The 2 plank waggon (left) can be clearly seen in this image, where it is precariously balanced on a piece of track atop the wall with next door.

20220825_182956.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
Other Items of Rolling Stock That Occasionally Grace The PB Tramway.

Not wishing to be outdone by that Sir A P Heywood BART chappy and his famous "Top Wagons" with their removable top bits, Lord Spokeshave ordered a Tar Waggon to be built.
Tar is used in large quantities in and around the glass houses on the Estate, as the smell of warm tar is one of Spokeshaves aromatic peculiarities.
Lady Spokeshave has a preference for tea, so what better than to combine one waggon with two uses..

"This waggon requires a good wash & scrub out before changing loads".

20220830_153847.jpg20220830_153904.jpg