Paradise Bottom

D6331

Western Thunderer
I never read this, but I have great childhood memories of the Bill Badger books, also by 'BB' and Denys Watkins Pitchford (I think they may have been one and the same?). Happy days!

Cheers,
Mark
Yes that's right, one and the same chap, BB was a pen name.
(he enjoyed shooting and fishing and firmly believed in fairies in the garden)
The books do go for quite a price nowadays.

2996 Victor

Western Thunderer
Yes that's right, one and the same chap, BB was a pen name.
(he enjoyed shooting and fishing and firmly believed in fairies in the garden)
The books do go for quite a price nowadays.
Yes - I was looking at the Bill Badger books recently after being swamped by a wave of nostalgia. The prices made my eyes water!

Cheers,
Mark

D6331

Western Thunderer
Other Waggons.

The railway at Paradise Bottom does require maintenance of course and a "Works Train" is occasionally cobbled together, mostly for effect. Such work has included the removal of a dead moth; the oiling of a hinge; the planting of some weeds et cetera.
(The track is rarely checked, on the principle of "if it isn't fixed don't break it"...)

20220830_153648.jpg20220830_153747.jpg20220830_153733.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
Coal waggon.

Despite the Unnecessarily Large Building being powered by reusable energy in the loading of stone, coal is still required at the Large House by 'is Lordship.
The main use of the coal is to provide power to a generator for his extensive train set which occupies the majority of the 3rd floor of the house. Nobody actually knows what lurks within the generator room, but rumour has it the former under butler Spokes has something to do with it..

The coal waggon.
& Inside no.9
20220825_183008.jpg20220825_183038.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
Although it's only nearly Thursday, I received a letter today from Mrs Trellis of North Wales.
Many years ago she was in service with 'is Lordship at the Big House, nr Paradise Bottom & had heard mention of the model railway on the 3rd floor & its power supply.
She kindly enclosed a photograph, from her bottom drawer, of Spokes with m'Lud & Lady standing in front of the Old Engine just before the removal of its wheels & installation into the Big House.
Poor Spokes had lost a leg in an experiment that had "gone wrong" & is seen here holding both his pipe & a pink electrode.
Mrs Trellis adds that, as per Spokeshave custom, they are all seen standing on green anti slip mats such is the fear of certain doom when near a boiler of any sort.

Lord & Lady Spokeshave with Spokes. (Date unknown)
20220919_124904.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
Other Waggons Get Pushed.

When the works train is summoned to appear to attend to maintenance or supply tar or tea, (the Tar-Tea waggon) the Usual Locomotive is changed over to the far more powerful steed, as seen below.
With its auto-start-push-me-button function the beast "jumps" into life & is soon attending to its train of whatever.

Locomotive with optional starting hammer.
20220830_154031.jpg

D6331

Western Thunderer
First Class Passengers Only.

Apparently it's the only way to travel. Probably because it's the only item of passenger carrying rolling stock allowed to grace the rails of PB.
Yes, as seen in this "snapshot from the 70's", camera shy Hilda is enjoying a peaceful moment on the newly refurbished First Class saloon/observation car.
Saucy Hilda can be contacted by post card at the usual address.

Cheeky.
20221007_094601.jpg

A Swans Eye View

D6331

Western Thunderer
An hideously unprepared photograph shewing the PB in its entirety. Wiring all over the place et cetera, as it rests silently on carpet in the railway room, prior to house move a year ago.
It now resides up the Loft.

20200321_103303.jpg