7mm Project 31: Laughing In The Face Of Adversity

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Graham, this should be expanded - how about a competition for "The Worst Dog's Dinner Made into Something Presentable" thread? Fully illustrated with annotations to describe the trial, of course...
Steve
Seems like a plan to me. Oft'you jolly well go! (with apologies to Jimmy Young)

nascar24

Graham, this should be expanded - how about a competition for "The Worst Dog's Dinner Made into Something Presentable" thread? Fully illustrated with annotations to describe the trial, of course...
Steve
I might have to include my Steve Beattie D603 bought built from Ebay sometime ago, why did I buy it I still ask myself! it is as bad as your 31, suppose I will have to upload some photos sometime!!

Cheers

Al

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the vote of confidence! If I can manage to get a silk sows ear I'll be happy :) Good suggestion on the fan. The ultimate aim is DCC sound so a working fan would be too good an opportunity to miss. Are there kits available or could I get a Heljan spare. I hear there's a good supplier, I think I remember Howes as a source for Heljan spares?
Steve

Steve,

You might want to get back in touch with MMP to pick up one of the Main Line Diesel Locomotive Fittings Set. It includes (amongst a host of other things) the following Class 31-useful parts; fan and grille set, ploughs, blinds, step tread, cab seats (and various other bits and pieces), door handles, windscreen wipers, builders plates, etc, etc. A thoroughly recommended and very useful set.

For a fan motor I've got one of these to play with: http://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=170&products_id=1002. The low voltage means it can be run (with a suitable resistor in series) from a DCC decoder function output.

Any good?

Steph

S

SteveO

Thanks Steph. Mr P did mention it to me when I called but at the time I didn't know if this was going to work out. As it seems to be going well so far I may call him back about it. He's got loads of goodies including a 47 detail pack for the Heljan. I may save on postage and get them both at the same time.

The motors are quite nice and small so would suit this perfectly!
Steve

S

SteveO

Finally got round to removing the bogie fixing points and the fuel tanks tonight – the other half is on a girl's night out! While the cat's away...

I thought I'd quickly throw on the ends to what it will look like when finished. They are only stuck on with double-sided tape so are not fixed, plus I still need to do a little reprofiling where the roof meets the sides. While removing all the bits I need to resize, a lot of the side grills fell out so I'll put those back later when my new soldering stuff arrives.

Does anyone know how I'm going to eventually fix the cabs to the body? I'm guessing some sort of epoxy, rather than superglue (or double-sided tape!).

The light is awful for taking shots in our lounge and is designed more for slightly more romantic pastimes...
IMG_1172.JPG

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Looks better already :thumbs:

I would be tempted to use epoxy too, maybe with some strips on the inside going the opposite way to the join epoxy'd in as well for added insurance :)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Does anyone know how I'm going to eventually fix the cabs to the body?

I woulsd probably try 4" x No. 12 wood screws.... :confused:...

but then I can even make a mess of putting up a wood fence panel... ;)

Nice to see that the body anmd cabs are getting close to a common profile.

regards, Graham

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Yes i to would go with a two part epoxy and possibly scoring the resin tab where the brass will fix. Also rough up the inside surface of the brass so that both areas have a nice key where the glue will be. Try and clamp as much of the area as well and leave for about 2days to harden.:thumbs:

Rob

iploffy

OC Blue Brigade
Yes i to would go with a two part epoxy and possibly scoring the resin tab where the brass will fix. Also rough up the inside surface of the brass so that both areas have a nice key where the glue will be. Try and clamp as much of the area as well and leave for about 2days to harden.:thumbs:

Rob
Why ain't you in the garden!!!!!!!!

djparkins

Western Thunderer
*ahem*.... Ignoring the weather, etc....:rolleyes:

That looks a lot better already, Steve!! :thumbs:
I'm sure David can say what method MMP recommend for gluing the resin to brass. :bowdown:

I cannot Jordon!

The reason being that in the MMP kit they were held in place by other brass parts within them [mainly the cab floors] that were joined to the central body/rear cab bulkhead assembly.

I would possibly favour an epoxy but I think some other form of strengthening will be required too.

Regards,

DJP/MMP

S

SteveO

Another new arrival, a gas pen torch and some liquid solder. We are moving at the end of this month into a house with a garden. This can only mean one thing – a SHED! I'll then be able to not worry about little inquisitive hands getting hold of dangerous stuff and leave projects 'on the workbench' actually on the workbench and not have to pack them away every time I get them out.

I've also got a 'normal' iron but working in a non-electrified shed plus waiting for the iron to heat up are problems avoided with this little beauty.
IMG_1228.JPG

S

SteveO

That's not a bad price for all the kit you get with it. I bought the solder paste and the iron for less than a fiver from Taiwan, with free shipping too. The only problem is that I had to wait 5 weeks for it to arrive!

The other pen torch that I bought has been consigned to the out tray. It was one of those Blackspur blue ones. It worked for an hour then broke and all the gas came streaming out. Got an instant refund though and seemed like they half expected a problem with it.

S

SteveO

It's way too late for me to be up drinking tea and looking through pages of pictures on class31.co.uk, but I am!

To carry on with this mess I need to figure out what I have – I simply don't know. Having looked at the site above, there seems to be quite a few differences between 31s. The two most obvious body differences that can pin down this particular loco's destiny are steps behind one of the cab doors (I don't have any so it can't be one of those variants) and the exhaust outlets. Mine are two oblong holes, where many are single round holes of various dimensions and styles. I'm guessing these could be later models and/or engine upgrades.

So, before I continue, what are my options in regards to prototype? I can't see a definitive description of the various guises of 31s anywhere so I'm stumped.

I'm home alone again tomorrow night (tonight actually, it's 2.10am!) so I can start soldering the grills back in that fell out while unsoldering it. Perhaps also cutting some angle brass for strengthening the body sides too, and taking out those over-scale grab handles on the roof.

A small footnote. I was going to complete this for pulling my Mk1 Suburbans but as I have now sold them on, this requirement no longer exists and will probably open up more options, which I hope is a good thing. This also applies to livery – I'm no longer fussed about what colour it is.