7mm Project 31: Laughing In The Face Of Adversity

S

SteveO

Thanks mate. I opened a question up Over There and you've confirmed exactly what they've said.

I'll now need to find a prototype numbered 314XX to model, either mixed or freight only. I can't remeber right now whether I have ETH modelled on my underframe – probably not!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks mate. I opened a question up Over There and you've confirmed exactly what they've said.

I'll now need to find a prototype numbered 314XX to model, either mixed or freight only. I can't remeber right now whether I have ETH modelled on my underframe – probably not!
No you don't :).

At work so will double check all this when I get home and correct if required.

Two basic types of 31, skinhead and headcode, all built with the same engine (think first 10 might have had a slightly different version) and all rebuilt later with new engines, mid 60's I believe. All fitted with water boilers for steam heat, all had steps up the side and roof cutaway for water filler.

All boilers later isolated, some removed, some filled with concrete and I think all steps were plated over and roof hatch sealed, can't go climbing up there with 25Kv OHLE.

Later a batch were converted to ETH and classified 34/4 and I think more done post 85 when I kinda droped out of the scene, but can check that when home.

Exhausts, as far as I know all are two small rectangles at No2 end, one each side of center line, never known any different, certainly interested to see any different, only other roof vent is the oval one for the boiler exhaust, sometimes sealed, often left as is, this is at No 1 end and not on the center line but about 1/3 roof width toward the RH side of the loco (with No1 end leading).

You can basically do any class 31 with boiler removed and steps blanked off, 31/4 certainly but others as well with reference to photos, be aware that the model you have may well not have been built correctly so do not assume what you have is authentic. If your modeling BR blue then you have quite a few to choose from, if later in sectorisation then there are other modifications but not to the above points (buffer skirts etc) to consider.

Best bet is to grab MRI on the class 31, lots of information in there to help you along your way.

Will double check all this, this evening for you and if you wish to jot down what you'd like I can cross check what you can do or need to do to achieve what you want.

In true WT scatter gun fashion I've longed for a 1:32 yellow NR Ped but I keep that pile of reference material at more than arms length away LOL. Used to love Peds but you knew you were in trouble if you had one on the Harwich boat train, had one to Sheffield (reversal) where it was changed for a Peak, arrived in Manchester 90mins late from Ipswich.

Kindest

S

SteveO

At work so will double check all this when I get home and correct if required.

You bloody diamond! Cheers Mick.

(No references to illegal gemstone mining in Africa is implied by the above statement)

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ok a basic summation.

Roof's stayed the same through out all locos careers, oblong engine exhaust openings at No.2 end and boiler vent at No.1 end, some variations in boiler vent, some are circular grills, quite large, about 50% of main radiator grill diameter, others have a blanking circular plate over this with an oval hole and small rim chimney sort of affair.

Water hatches and steps are blanked off adhoc from the late 70's, most locos had steps blanked off before the hatch but some at the same time, by the end of the 80's most look to have had all blanked off but you will need to check prototype photos of your chosen loco. The earliest photo I can find of steps blanked and water hatch remaining is 31 146 at York in 78 but I've only had a quick flick through a few books, and 31 287 in Tyneside with all openings blanked off in 1977.

If your modelling later periods then buffer skirts will be your biggest problem, these started to go from the mid 80's but again some members lingered on with skirts for many years, 31 281 in BR blue in 88, 31 304 railfreight grey with full yellow cabs in 87. Skirts all seem to have gone by 1990 and latest image I can find is 31 152 with skirts actually being cut up in 1990.

Many locos were also fitted with radiator fan cowls, again seems a random fitting so check with photos.

Original engines were Mirrlees but from 1964 onwards swapped out for EE blocks, roof stayed the same and Mirrlees locos became class 30 but none carried 30 xxx numbers.

31/4 were taken from 31/1 fleet and a couple (one-two?) were from the early skinhead variety, conversion began in 70 and ended in 85.

So your basically looking at late 70's till the end of the 80's with what you have, with luck an early 90's machine but they'll be thin on the ground to match what you have.

If you want class 31 images then go here Flickr 31 over 5000 to view and most are taken by serious enthusiasts so will have dates and train information etc, most are numbered so if you want to find a specific loco you just search for that number, most people do not leave a space so 31 008 becomes 31008, that'll get you more hits.

If your just after ETH versions then here ETH 31 over 700 to view.

In addition Brian Daniels has some nice Flickr collections here for modern (90 images) versions and here for historical (over 500) and walkaround (62 images).

If that's not enough I have over 700 collected myself off the web over the past 10 years or so.

Hope that helps

S

SteveO

Ok a basic summation...

Blimey! That's plenty info, many many thanks for that!

Plenty of options just skimming through, so decisions, decisions. I was quite taken by this but I'm not quite ready to be shot and impaled on the door of WT just yet...

Great links, a few images I recognise from my search earlier but theres plenty there showing which had their boiler vents plated over.

Again, legendary work so thanks very much!

marsa69

Western Thunderer
D'oh!! My bad on the "exhaust" port... all these years I was thinking of the boiler port by mistake....:rolleyes::oops:

I just can't get any further to the Back than I already am...... :confused:

Join me and the Colonel out the fire door, I'll fire the barbi up!

S

SteveO

D'oh!!... I was thinking of the boiler port by mistake....:rolleyes::oops:
I just can't get any further to the Back than I already am...... :confused:
Me too! Lets get straws and blow paper balls at all the squares in the front!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Me too! Lets get straws and blow paper balls at all the squares in the front!

Thanks!, never been called a square before.

If I'd paid just half of the attention I give to trains to school work I'd be a lot better off in life now I suspect :).

Kindest

marsa69

Western Thunderer
Thanks!, never been called a square before.

If I'd paid just half of the attention I give to trains to school work I'd be a lot better off in life now I suspect :).

Kindest

You mean you'd have been in the 40% tax bracket a hell of a lot sooner :eek::D

S

SteveO

Still here, semi-active but tucked up in a cosy box until I unpack it from moving. I have an unusual and slightly unsettling bonding with this model. I will make an appointment with a councillor soon.

D1054

Western Thunderer
I have an unusual and slightly unsettling bonding with this model. I will make an appointment with a councillor soon.
Ha Ha! I love it! We have a council member in a sticky situation with a model too.... but that's quite another story! I should see a counsellor, though, if I were you, Steve..... at least with a counsellor you'll get to say your side of the story. Sorry SteveO - just tickled humour....... must put it back in the box...... getting me into trouble... ;)

S

SteveO

Shhh! It's hibernating for the winter. Don't wake it up!

Before I restart that monstrosity I had to learn to solder, which I'm (still!) doing with my vans. I've now fully realised that it is a heap of shi... erm, it's going to be a challenge. I'm going to make a custom chassis for it which I'll screw the body onto so wanted to get the soldering experience up to speed. The chassis is designed on paper so I have to convert that to something I can reproduce in brass channel or square tube, then I'll hang the bogies off that. Once that has been sorted I can work on the body, which will need quite a bit of surgery to put right!

Once I've got 6 or 7 vans completed the 31 will be my next job and I may do it together with my Triang Hymek as it has a chassis design which is similar to that which I've designed.

Watch this space, but not too closely...

S

SteveO

Oh Steve, this is so far on the back burner that the gas takes a few days just to get there. It will resurface one day but it will be an older and wiser me that's going to tackle it.

I saw another one on ebay recently and was going to buy it so the cost of this one was lower, averaged out. I may still do that and paint them both yellow...