7mm Scale 7 MOK 9F in Spain

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
It's been 4 months since I last posted (too hot) now it's a bit cooler now (a bit warmer than England though). I am in a bit of a quandary, how do I fit the horn-guied to the chassis (I have a flame, Exctoscale resistance soldering station and a ERSA soldering station) any idea of what to do?

Len

adrian

Flying Squad
It's been 4 months since I last posted (too hot) now it's a bit cooler now (a bit warmer than England though). I am in a bit of a quandary, how do I fit the horn-guied to the chassis (I have a flame, Exctoscale resistance soldering station and a ERSA soldering station) any idea of what to do?

Len
Personally I would lightly tin the rear of the hornguide plate and then sweat it onto the chassis using the ERSA station, only because I don't have an RSU, if you have an RSU then it would do the job just as well. [ I have had 2 RSUs but never found a job for it that I couldn't do with the ERSA station so sold the RSUs - but that's another story!]

markjj

Western Thunderer

Len
Hello Len,
Welcome back...
I have always fixed the big castings with just my trusty Weller WSP 80 irons. I burnish the back of the casting with a brass brush so they are shiny before fitting them though then plenty of flux and ideally a solder which melts around 179°C. I usually use Multicore (now loctite) LMP solder or smart solder for SMD PCB work. These have a 2% silver content. If I ever need any extra heat which is very rare I warm the casting with a hot air gas soldering iron pen or hot air soldering station if I can get access to one. I usually find the castings solder well when I have had to remove them as long as they were clean the solder has flowed under them fine.
Often the biggest problem with large castings is making sure they are flat and flash free so they sit level so it's worth fiddling and fettling them well first.

Last edited: