4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thank you both for your kindness!

This doesn't really have a place here, but a recent conversion about Clacton on Sea signal box led to me spotting the outside...well I don't actually know what it is...toilet perhaps?

I fancied giving it a go, just because.

T2.jpg

T1.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

Back on track and another wagon off the production line. Built this a while ago and finally got around to painting it.

There's probably a few errors with the details and markings, but I'm more interested in painting and weathering.

I found a few photos of vans with patch painting and warning flashes in random locations that I liked and used as inspiration.

VanB02.jpg

VanB01.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hello all,

I've been very focused on my 1/48 aircraft modelling over the last few weeks so railway modelling hasn't really had a look in.

Last night, when sorting some stuff out in the drawers on which the layout sits, I decided to remove everything (it had become a bit of a dumping ground!) and see how the land lies.

I quickly came to the conclusion that the garage needs to go, or at least replace one of the other structures. As much as I like the building, it just clutters things up too much.

Having done that, I made a start on constructing the framework for the road in the foreground. No photos as its not that exciting yet, but I hope to make some more progress this week.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

To follow on from my previous post, I've now commenced doing a bit of work on the layout. Firstly some overall views just to show the state of play:

20220324_094914.jpg

20220324_094905.jpg

The front-facing building in the foreground has been moved from the location above for visual purposes. I'll have to reconsider the location of the small brick building now too.

The "road" is a combination of card and foamboard, and the visible gap is to allow me to insert a pavement.

20220324_123313.jpg

The base layer of foamboard cut out to accommodate the building. This may enable it to be removable in the future.

Also visible is the very primitive point control system!

20220324_123301.jpg

And finally the building inserted into its foundation.

20220324_123340.jpg

Matt

IanB3174

This is just the inspiration I need. I do little modelling in real terms so I'm knocking up an OO gauge shunting layout to practice and develop my skills so I can tackle bigger things later.

matto21

Western Thunderer
This is just the inspiration I need. I do little modelling in real terms so I'm knocking up an OO gauge shunting layout to practice and develop my skills so I can tackle bigger things later.
That's great to hear, I'll look forward to seeing it develop!

Just a quick final post for today to show the beginnings of the roadway. Probably too narrow in real terms, but any wider would just spoil the illusion I'm trying to create, given the lack of space.

20220324_234709.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
That's great to hear, I'll look forward to seeing it develop!

Just a quick final post for today to show the beginnings of the roadway. Probably too narrow in real terms, but any wider would just spoil the illusion I'm trying to create, given the lack of space.

View attachment 158910

Morning Matt.

I think that looks spot on. Nicely in proportion with the rest of the layout and as you say, any wider it would distort what you are trying to achieve.

Rob.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning Matt.

I think that looks spot on. Nicely in proportion with the rest of the layout and as you say, any wider it would distort what you are trying to achieve.

Rob.

I've always found that scale width roads look too big in model form. On an old club modern image layout there was a modern multi-span steel beam and concrete bridge I built. I actually ended up modelling the road, which should have been 7.3m wide, at something like 85%-90% width. It just looked very wrong full width.

In your case Matt, this is an old historical road / lane and as such any width is prototypical. Only new build would have had standards applied and the rest just evolved, and were widened, over time. Looks good to me.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
Matt, that little brick shed is very nice, is it scratchbuilt or from elsewhere, please? (reminds me of a TownStreet plastercast building that looks very, very similar).