4mm Unnamed freight only shunting layout

matto21

Western Thunderer
Hi all,

I've been working on this...store room...toilet...hut...not sure...as an additional small building for the layout.

It's not quite finished, and there are a few bits that need painting but you get the idea.

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

I've also been working on this Dapol brake van. I actually built the kit back in 2018 but it's remained in an unfinished state ever since. The reason for this was the handrails. I had originally intended to just paint the moulded items, but compared to my other stock that has wire handrails/handles it was clear it needed doing. I just couldn't face it! I've said it before: I hate bending wire to make handrails!

Anyway, I finally took the plunge and I'm glad I did. Couple of other "improvements" include a new, thinner roof, window glazing and a representation of the "underneath bits"

In hindsight I'll probably regret not replacing the lamp irons but removing the handrails was hard enough on a built model!

BV6.jpg

It obviously needs painting, and I'm hoping to make a start on that today.

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Thanks @steve50 , much appreciated.

Continuing the themes of brake vans and resurrecting old models, here's the next project:

BV2A.jpg

I started building this in 2019 and it was intended to be a mess van to accompany a crane I was building. Fast forward to now, and the crane is no closer to being finished than it was then.

Browsing the Bartlett site, I came across this:

Very similar and it'll make a nice addition to my BV fleet.

This kit doesn't include duckets, so they've been borrowed from another Parkside kit. Unfortunately I'll have to cannibalise this kit for most of the other parts too as I cannot find any more of the original pieces.

BV2B.jpg

Matt

matto21

Western Thunderer
Pretty boring update, but I like to document each step when I can be bothered to take photos so I have something to refer back to in the future.

The prototype van is a pretty faded bauxite colour in the photos which I'm trying to replicate.

BV2C.jpg

As an aside, the other week we spent a couple of days in London. We went to the Royal Mail museum and went on (the part that remains in use of) the underground mail train.

20220414_131729.jpg

A fascinating place and a really enjoyable few hours - highly recommended by me. My 3 year old daughter thoroughly enjoyed the train too.

Matt